Page 1 of 2
I'll explain my crisis. I've been writing songs several years and in that time I've written loads of songs. In the beginning I was more into bands like Disturbed and Rammstein etc. etc. Now I'm right in the heavy end, pumping out songs like Deicide and Cannibal Corpse. What gets me is what do I do with the old songs? I clean out my computer every so often, throwing the old songs, but a few remain, some good songs that sound pretty heavy, pretty metal, but don't really fit with the death metal that well, especially when they have melodic elements.

What do I do with these songs? I've had a go at making them heavier but it won't work, it doesn't sound right. Would you be put off a band that plays songs like Rammstein in growls? Some of my "slower" songs can play 8th notes at 180BPM all the way through more or less, and that's the fastest note.
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
You shouldn't make a song with the sole intent of having it sound "death metal." Just make whatever music you want to. Why should it matter what genre it falls under?
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, fast guitar riffs with lots of mid range distortion, a bass player you can't even hear, and some guy growling lyrics that I can't understand.

Write what you want to hear instead of asking other people how you should play.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It's not that I care about genres. It's that I care how it sounds, for example, you wouldn't do death metal vocals over a rap beat, would you?

I don't think the music sounds heavy enough to suit my vocals, which like it or not will always be called death metal, no matter what music is played behind them.
Quote by gothicneo
It's not that I care about genres. It's that I care how it sounds, for example, you wouldn't do death metal vocals over a rap beat, would you?

I don't think the music sounds heavy enough to suit my vocals, which like it or not will always be called death metal, no matter what music is played behind them.

You sure are confining yourself here. Play and write what you think sounds good and compliments the song. Leave it at that.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Because IMO it'd sound completely stupid, worse (if it's even possible) than Bring Me the Horizon.
If you seriously want to try and mix Disturbed with death metal, just please dont write music. Ever.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by gothicneo
Because IMO it'd sound completely stupid, worse (if it's even possible) than Bring Me the Horizon.

If you already know what sound you like ,why are you asking us what you should sound like?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by metal4life592
You shouldn't make a song with the sole intent of having it sound "death metal." Just make whatever music you want to.

That, basically; just hold them until another project. If they're good ideas, then why throw them away? The whole point with music is not restricting yourself. I like predominantly black metal and doom, but write in many different styles.

drunkrussianedit:

Quote by stranglehold
If you seriously want to try and mix Disturbed with death metal, just please dont write music. Ever

Also that, lest you have rusty spoons thrown at you. I like.... rusty... spoons....

As for death metal, I want it to have good riffs and sound evil and threatening

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by darkstar2466
Scenesters care about genres.

Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by metal4life592
You shouldn't make a song with the sole intent of having it sound "death metal." Just make whatever music you want to. Why should it matter what genre it falls under?

^ what he said
Melodic elements in my opinion don't make a band p**sy. Their apperance, actions, and mainstream marketing do. In my eyes, Kalmah, a melodic death metal band, is more brutal than tons of brutal death metal bands. And Emperor, a symphonic black metal band, is more kvlt than a ton of black metal bands.

Don't focus on the elements within the song, just focus on what you're giving off. Remember, gore not core.

And I got rid of a ton of old crappy songs just the other day, freed up a good 10 GB. =]
Quote by dminishedthingy
Did you honestly just use the word "kvlt" in a serious discussion?

Especially when referring to Emperor of all black metal bands.
My mistake. Way out of context. ^_^

Edit: Don't diss Emperor. Besides, they were with Mayhem back in Euro's shop... They were there man...

Serious note: There's nothing wrong with Emperor. So they're symphonic, doesn't make them any less black metal.
Last edited by xChristgrindeRx at Feb 20, 2009,
WOW. Hanging out with one of the most legendary posers makes them somehow better.

You need to give up man.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Legendary posers? Are you joking? If it weren't for d**khead Varg Vikernes who had to murder Euro, we might not be in a situation with a clearly q**erbag emo vocalist like Atila. The only reason I slightly respect Varg is for the Fantoft burning.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Legendary posers? Are you joking? If it weren't for d**khead Varg Vikernes who had to murder Euro, we might not be in a situation with a clearly q**erbag emo vocalist like Atila. The only reason I slightly respect Varg is for the Fantoft burning.

And with that, any shred of respect is gone. Let's respect a guy for his intolerance instead of his music
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

How the **** is Atilla an emo vocalist you insufferable dolt?
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
1. I don't respect Varg at all as a person, but he's made some great music.
2. People don't listen to Emperor because "it's tr00," they listen because they enjoy the music.
3. Attila was on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, which was fukking awesome.
To stay on topic, I'd recommend just scrapping the songs. Turning them into something else entirely would be more work and less rewarding.
Quote by Trefellin

LastFM
yea i can relate, i listen to pretty much the same stuff (then and now), and i have a few songs that i keep trying to refurb into heavier stuff. but i have a problem with writing what i want to listen to, and writing what i think sounds good. i want to be able to write stuff like BDM, carnifex, ASP, all that fun stuff, but i have an immensely hard time forcing myself to do that. the stuff that naturally flows from me i find kind of uncatchy bullshtits, but you gotta be able to do what makes you happy, dont confine yourself into sounding like Band-X just because you have Band-X music in your favorites ipod playlist. be original and the rest will follow.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
The only reason he made it to that album was because they wouldn't be able to release it without him.

And sorry, but Varg's music was never good. Burzum's music was always boring to me. I know it's ambient, but seriously. And I understand you should listen to a band for the music, but I just hate how so many people go on about Emperor and Dimmu Borgir because they use keyboards, because so did Immortal.

And Atila is just not fit for Mayhem to me. I don't find his vocals very good, neither his commitment. Not to mention he's bringing Mayhem into the wrong direction. I don't even know why Hellhammer bothers to stay in. I'm sure we all can agree we'd be more happy with Dead or Maniac.

On topic: Somewhat like Powerslave said. Take some ideas and musical pieces out of the songs, and place them into something else. You CAN have melodic aspects and retain respect.
Yeah, it took a while for me to finally man up and get rid of all that Carnifex and other garbage wasting space on my hard drive, since I usually have tendencies to worry about getting rid of something. Like I said, it'll do wonders if you have little space.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
The only reason he made it to that album was because they wouldn't be able to release it without him.

And sorry, but Varg's music was never good. Burzum's music was always boring to me. I know it's ambient, but seriously. And I understand you should listen to a band for the music, but I just hate how so many people go on about Emperor and Dimmu Borgir because they use keyboards, because so did Immortal.

And Atila is just not fit for Mayhem to me. I don't find his vocals very good, neither his commitment. Not to mention he's bringing Mayhem into the wrong direction. I don't even know why Hellhammer bothers to stay in. I'm sure we all can agree we'd be more happy with Dead or Maniac.

On topic: Somewhat like Powerslave said. Take some ideas and musical pieces out of the songs, and place them into something else. You CAN have melodic aspects and retain respect.

Why would I want Maniac? He was mediocre on Deathcrush and awful on anything else he's done with Mayhem.
And TS, just scrap the current riffs for the DM project and use them in something else. Or maybe change the vocal style?
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Maniac > Atilla, but Atilla still kicks ass.

Maniac was phenomenal on Deathcrush, in my opinion. I liked his vocal style.
Philosophy > Life
Maniac's vocals on Deathcrush are perfect. The most vicious black metal shrieks I'e heard besides Neige. He's the reason I learned how to do black metal shrieks that don't violate your throat.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Well, if you know how to growl (or do any vocals properly) I could Pm you instructions?

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I definitely do not know how to properly.

They sound ok, but I know it's not right.

But yeah, instructions would be great.
Philosophy > Life
I'm only doing this because you have a Moogle four times on your little side of the post.

Quote by eggsandham2
Oh, for some reason I counted your avatar twice

OPr something, I dunno. My mind is weary you know. It's so beautiful.

GOREDIT: Check your box of messages

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
OPr something, I dunno. My mind is weary you know. It's so beautiful.

GOREDIT: Check your box of messages

That's how I feel lately. Like my brain doesn't work.

Will do.
Philosophy > Life
Page 1 of 2