Hey, I found a local seller who's selling an LP Custom Copy. Good so far, but theres ones thing I'm worried about : The previous owner took off the original neck, and bolted on an Ibanez copy. It is an LP Custom neck, it's got binding, block inlays, and an open book headstock with binding and the LPC diamond., just with an Ibanez logo.

He says its a Gibson LPC body, but with a bolted on Ibanez neck. He obviously had to bolt the neck on himself, cause Gibson's are neck-thru, and he had to cut part of the body near the cutaway to fit it. I saw pictures, and it looks like he did a good job, I couldnt even really see where he cut it.

My question is, do you think this will mess with the sound too much? He only had to cut a little, but I'm worried that a neck that is meant to be neck thru might for some reason not work as a bolt on.

Anyone ever been in the same position?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
just to correct you, gibsons are not neck thru they are set necks. Seconds eh its up to you. Pick it up and play it and see if it sounds and plays good. Personally I wouldn't go for it but its up to you.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I've never seen or heard it so I couldn't really tell you but it is hard picturing a les paul with an Ibanez neck...
Like I said, it is an Ibanez LP Custom neck. Ibanez used to make LP copys back in the day, some pretty damn good ones too, they got a lawsuit filed in the 70's.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Also just to add on. The reason gibsons are good guitars are because there made with high quality parts and have (mostly) amazing craftmonship. There is no reason to buy a guitar just because it has a gibson body, especially since he said he did the job himself. I would just stay away from it.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I've been playing for a long time, I know why Gibsons are good. I'm not buying it because It has a Gibson body, I'm (maybe) getting it because I can trade him an Epi LP Standard with EMG's for it. I want an LP Custom, but really dont want to spend the rediculous money for one. Just to correct, Gibsons arent set neck, Epiphones are. Most Gibsons are neck-thru, because they have long neck tennons.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Like I said, he mustve done a good job because I cant see any cuts, it looks fine. What I'm asking though, is would it affect anything, assuming the job was done right?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Long neck tennons dont mean neck thru? I figured since part of the neck went down into the neck pickup cavity that it was neck thru. The neck goes through the body, into the pickup cavity. It doesnt matter, I dont want it to turn into an argument about what is neck-thru and what isnt, its not what the threads about.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by LastCaress88
Long neck tennons dont mean neck thru? I figured since part of the neck went down into the neck pickup cavity that it was neck thru. The neck goes through the body, into the pickup cavity. It doesnt matter, I dont want it to turn into an argument about what is neck-thru and what isnt, its not what the threads about.

Neck thru is when the neck goes all the way through the body as one piece of wood, typically with the left and right sides of the body glued on.

As for the guitar, i suspect he might be saying that it's a gibson body with an ibanez neck to attract people to it. You never know, though. Removing a set neck to bolt on a fake one isn't exactly a common act.
I know, thats what I'm worried about. It's got a Super Disortion in the bridge though, so even if it was an Epi I'd still get a decent tone with the Dimarzio and not the stock epiphone.

Older Ibanez copies were bolt on, but he says it looks like it's been cut. It could be an original Ibanez copy, but then that'd mean it isnt cut. I'll have to check it out and play it for myself, but I'm just worried about things like how intonation and the truss rod would be affected if a bolt on was put in place of a set neck.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,