Well, I've had a P-bass for a year now. It cost me about $600. It's a red fender Mexican made, and it always seems to be out of tune because my bridge is all ****ed. My input jack fell out, so i had to tie a ribbon around the new nut. I put it in, but basically it sounds like ****. I've taken it in to be fixed, but it still has a ****ty sound to it. My birtthday's coming up, and im wondering, is it worth it to get a whole new bass, or just get a better amp?
Last edited by Disobey666 at Feb 20, 2009,
i'd say sell it and get a new one, and get an amp too
Gear :

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Fender Strat HH MIM
Musicman Sub1
Eko Ranger
Yamaha APX 700
Ibanez EW
Marshall AVT Tribute 100w head
Framus 2x12 cab
Roland Cube 30
Quote by Disobey666
Well, I've had a P-bass for a year now. It cost me about $600. It's a red fender Mexican made, and it always seems to be out of tune because my bridge is all ****ed. My input jack fell out, so i had to tie a ribbon around the new nut. I put it in, but basically it sounds like ****. I've taken it in to be fixed, but it still has a ****ty sound to it. My birtthday's coming up, and im wondering, is it worth it to get a whole new bass, or just get a better amp?

Fixed, sort of. English, dude. Speak it.

First, before you do anything, what amp do you have? A good bass will always sound like crap through a bad amp. You're maybe the 3rd person I've met that doesn't like a Precision's tone.
Nope, no sig here.
ahah thanks for fixing that up man i cant write worth crap and uhh i have a walmart bass amp aha
Sounds like the P-Bass i just bought!

Im having mine professionally set up and im having the bridge replaced, maybe u should try a new bridge, at least then if it doesnt work u can still sell it in a fairly okay condition
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
ahah man with the cost of it and repairs and mayeb a new amp then to replace the bridge ive spent a **** load of money on it
Quote by Captain Insano
Get a new amp, and proper set up.

what kind of amp works best im lookign for a decent sized practice amp thats loud enough for band prac
get the new amp. Then learn how do a setup on your bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Disobey666

sounds to me like a bit of TLC is all It will need. have a swatch in the gear building and customising forums, look into setting it up as post above said. if the tone is gash - on my P bass (cheap copy) I wired the pickup straight to the jack (so no tone knob) and In the process i think i might have semi-accidentally raised the pickups a little and it sounds alot better.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle
get the new amp. Then learn how do a setup on your bass.

what do you mean set up on a bass.?
Quote by Disobey666
whats TLC

tender loving care

Quote by Disobey666
what do you mean set up on a bass.?

adjusting the action and intonation.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 20, 2009,
TLC tender love and care.

I meant do a fullsetup and even though the jacks abit off, playing it will be nicer, adjust the action, inotation, pickups all that stuff. A new part for the input costs a fiver and a bridge from 20-60.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
YEAH i sent it in for the action inotation to be fixed up and its still a little off so i give up on trying to get it fixed up like im just pissed at the money ive been spending on this thing
and my pick ups have been raised to sound decent but should i just get a whole new type of pickup
Tender Love and Care

Leave yyour bass alone for now. You're going to need a better amp before anything you have sounds good.

As far as the setup, he meant adjusting the bridge and truss rod to make it play right. It's fairly easy to do.

Quote by Disobey666
What kind of amp works best? I'm looking for a decent sized practice amp that's loud enough for band practice

Do you have a budget?
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 20, 2009,
You're maybe the 3rd person I've met that doesn't like a Precision's tone.

P-Bass's tone is iffy to me. Its better than a lot of basses, but not as good as a fair number either imo.
i have the B200 and its amazing. really loud, great tone, fits a lot of styles because of the 6 band eq, and its durable. teriffic buy. definately go for it.
The 75W or the little one?

Either way, they're both still practice amps. The 75W one might do band practice all right, but it's got a little 10" speaker...

I thought you could spend up to $400? Why would you get a little amp like that if you could have a bigger one that you can gig with?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Gilthresa
P-Bass's tone is iffy to me. Its better than a lot of basses, but not as good as a fair number either imo.

the p-bass tone doesn't boil down to good or bad...its all personal preference they have a very unique tone that i personally love
well my bridge is really uneven and is probably the main reason my bass sounds so bad
"****ty p bass" is an oxymoron.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Sounds like you could just sell it and get one you like?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"