first of all, what's the difference between staining and dying?

second, i've read thru the instructions how you apply one coat, then sand down so that the stain (or dye) is left in the grain but removed from the field. then stain (dye) again.
problem is that the top is a flame maple veneer and i don't know how thick it is. instead of doing this, could i just apply initial stain coats (however many coats gives me the effect i want) to JUST the grain with the tip of a rag or sponge, and then doing an all-over stain? instead of sanding down the veneer?
If you do it right you won't sand through the veneer. The initial coat raises the grain up, then you sand it back to it's initial thickness. No other method will really make the grain stand out. Just adding coat after coat of stain will make it dark.

Also, stains and dyes are two different things but end up having similar effects as far as I can tell.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
here's a pic of the guitar, scroll down for the face:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1070523&highlight=dkmg+jackson

what i've already done is sand down all of the gloss on the back. now, all i really want to do is lighten the tone and change the tint to something more red/blue/purple/orange-ish

cuz this pic is already under bright light. so its really darker than that in real lighting. so i want to bring back more of the wood tone, and re-tint it with said motif...

and after reviewing that link, i realize that the pic of me holding my guitar is flipped backwards. i'm a rightie

Quote by Albino_Rhino
If you do it right you won't sand through the veneer. The initial coat raises the grain up, then you sand it back to it's initial thickness. No other method will really make the grain stand out. Just adding coat after coat of stain will make it dark.

Also, stains and dyes are two different things but end up having similar effects as far as I can tell.
Last edited by sethp at Feb 20, 2009,
shameless bump,
but i was wondering if anybody knew how thick of a laminate there would be on the face of this guitar.
there's a pic at the bottom of the link