Alright, I'm one of two vocalists in my band, and recently I finally got a mic and stand. It has a 1/4 jack too, so most stuff should work with it. To get to the point, neither myself or anyone else in the band has or can afford a PA. I do have an old SS amp that had passable cleans though, and if that wouldn't work, one of my bands other guitarists(yes, we have three) has an old two-input Kustom 100W. Could I use one of them for the mic?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
im not 100% sure but i dont think u can use a mic with a guitar amp cus of the frequencys
GEAR:
Gibson SG
Traynor YCV40T
Digitech Grunge
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Korg pitchblack pedal tuner
EXH Metal Muff
Sennheiser wireless system
Gear soon gettin:
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Boss ce-2
yeah.clean channell...a bit boosted mids and yeah just eq from there. dont use too much gain
(therefore clean channel)
Quote by corey3815
I always used the clean channel for vocals on a spare SS amp we had at band practices. Since you've got the 1/4 jack, it'll work.

ka'ching
Thats what my singer does. Some amps will feedback more than others though. Cut the treble (helps w/ feedback) and stand BEHIND the amp, if possible. If you still have problems, stick a pillow in the back of the amp.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
be careful and dont hold one hand on your guitar and grab the fencing on the mic.... i know before i had my pa that always gave me a nice little dose of shock therapy lol but it worked other than that
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
A guitar amp can not handle all the frequencies that a P.A system can. The amp can blow.
Make sure to have a pop screen on the mic, use an EQ pedal if you have one to cut the low range down, you should be fine.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by jamesfarr
A guitar amp can not handle all the frequencies that a P.A system can. The amp can blow.

That's ridiculous. I can and have run a bass, a guitar, and a harmonica through the same head (2 different cabs), and it works fine.

And the human voice is well within the range of guitar speaker frequency capabilities.

BTW, what do you think the old blues guys used for vocals? Old tube guitar amps. That's part of the reason why the vocals have that reverb and grit on them.

Also: Look up the Fender Deluxe woody amp. The inputs are labeled: Microphone, Instrument 1, Instrument 2.

Also, the Ampeg Gemini has an accordion input, just for extra food for thought.

So, yes you can use a guitar amp for vocals. I've done it, and it works out nicely, IMO. Especially for a grittier sound (if you use a lower wattage amp).
Quote by imgooley
That's ridiculous. I can and have run a bass, a guitar, and a harmonica through the same head (2 different cabs), and it works fine.

And the human voice is well within the range of guitar speaker frequency capabilities.

BTW, what do you think the old blues guys used for vocals? Old tube guitar amps. That's part of the reason why the vocals have that reverb and grit on them.

Also: Look up the Fender Deluxe woody amp. The inputs are labeled: Microphone, Instrument 1, Instrument 2.

Also, the Ampeg Gemini has an accordion input, just for extra food for thought.

So, yes you can use a guitar amp for vocals. I've done it, and it works out nicely, IMO. Especially for a grittier sound (if you use a lower wattage amp).

It's not ridiculous. A bass through a guitar amp can blow it.
Quote by jamesfarr
It's not ridiculous. A bass through a guitar amp can blow it.

It can blow guitar speakers. Not the amp itself.
Our band has a sound desk which all of the amps are linked to and we plug the mic in and send it to the guitar amps and its fine. Sound desk improves the quality.
Quote by imgooley
It can blow guitar speakers. Not the amp itself.

Thats what I meant.
It will work but depending on the amp could sound like crap. You might want to look into a cheap keyboard amp, they should have a better range and probably better cleans than your guitar amp.
Quote by Smcash
It will work but depending on the amp could sound like crap. You might want to look into a cheap keyboard amp, they should have a better range and probably better cleans than your guitar amp.

Yeah keyboard amp sounds good. A guitar amp may distort easily with vocals coming through it.
You can do it but it's not ideal, we did it in a band I used to be in. You have to be very careful with mic placement to reduce feedback (generally vocal mics have cardioid pickup patterns which means they won't pick anything up from directly behind, so point the mic away from the amp, as if you were on-stage and it was in your backline). You'll need a very loud amp too, vocals don't cut through as much as guitar if it's coming out of a guitar amp.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
A keyboard or bass amp will work better, but a guitar amp should be fine
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!