I was talking to this guy who apparently knows a lot of bands and musicians. We started talking about gear and I told him that I really wanted a PodXT and he said "That's because you're part of a new generation of guitarists that sound like ****"

What do you think, would you agree with what he said?

Apparently he thinks that using pedals is better.
Using pedals through a good tube amp tends to produce better sounds than the PodXT.

Sorry.
its a great piece of gear, whether your using amp models or just for effects. hes nothing but a tone purist, and obviously more expensive, analogue, gear will have better sound, but i bet you he owns an MG and a metal zone. misha mansoor, who is a gear head and tone god, used one very often for his recordings (before he got his axefx) and he sounds great imo. that other guy also probably has never legitimately TRIED to get a good sound on one, and he just thinks he looks smart ripping on digital gear.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I have a pod xt, and for basic home recording it does its job fine. Obviously its quite amateur but you cant knock it for price/function.
the pod is only good if you are using it as a supplement to a tube amp. if the pod is your main source of tone, your going to sound terrible. I'm not against digital effects, infact i enjoy them very much. however, i AM very much against modeled distortion, especially in a live situation. it just doesnt clean up, it sounds very hissy, and just doesnt have the same fullness as a tube head.
The effects are good and bad. Amazing amp modeling.

By itself, it is good, but for live use, you can get an Atomic or Tech 21 kind of amp to help out.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by HIM%(^
the pod is only good if you are using it as a supplement to a tube amp. if the pod is your main source of tone, your going to sound terrible. I'm not against digital effects, infact i enjoy them very much. however, i AM very much against modeled distortion, especially in a live situation. it just doesnt clean up, it sounds very hissy, and just doesnt have the same fullness as a tube head.

Yeah that's exactly what I plan on doing. But apparently he just doesn't like them at all. I just need to save up for a good tube amp
the podXT is a great swiss army knife piece of gear that can be used in just about anything at any time.

practicing silently at night along to metal or cranking it thru a tube poweramp during a gig with your country band :P

Just about any piece of gear has the potential to sound good.
Anyone who says otherwise, either also has a nice amp and can't be bothered to sit down a tweak a pod, or is just plain ignorant.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
so would you go for a pod xt live or a line 6 bogner valve amp ? not a lot of difference in the price, and you get a valve amp.
Quote by spikei
so would you go for a pod xt live or a line 6 bogner valve amp ? not a lot of difference in the price, and you get a valve amp.

Definately out of the 2 go with the Spider Valve, but in reality the PodXT works great with the Spider Valve. There is a direct input for it and basically makes it so you can model any tone you want, especially if you have all the model packs installed.
Quote by spikei

it depends what you play. i wasn't impressed with the high gain sounds on the spider valve, but i've heard that the other models are pretty good
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I've been using the POD XT Live for over 2 years now and although I think over all it's pretty good, it doesn't have the tone quality of my analog pedals.I really didn't expect it to. What you do get is tons of pretty good stuff for the price. Some of the amp models are really nice and if you don't have the $20,000 or so it would take to get all those amps this is the next best thing. As far as the fx go they are better then the standard SS amp fair so it kinda puts you between that and analog pedals. It is just as good or better then alot of the digital single pedals i've tried. The cool thing about the XTL is you can learn what you like and replace the fx with single pedals and still use everything else in the POD. I've got 3 single pedals running into my POD now and it sounds great.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i have a moto pod version2 and its really great...aNd its cheaper than pod xt...(not better)
but its really cool.Its costs about 120$ 150Euros