I have both and I am really having a hard time with getting a good tone out of the Big Muff. I have experimented with running an OD pedal at the same time but nothing really seems to work- it's usually either too trebly and biting or just muddy.

How can I remedy this? What settings should I try to dial in? I'm going for a thick Black Keys kind of sound. Maybe this pedal isn't right for this at all.
Lol, if that pedal isn't right for The Black Keys, you don't know the Black Keys

Try this. Put the fat switch on, boost the mids all the way, drop the bass and put the treble on 6.

Then set the muff with everything at noon.

Also, What guitar are you using?

Also: Put a little bit of overdrive on the amp, and run an overdrive boost (gain at zero, output/level at around 7) AFTER the muff.

Also: The reason why Dan Auerbach has a thick but clear sound is because he runs 2 amps at once. When I saw them live, he was running a Marshall NMV JMP and a 59 Bassman reissue, with the Marshall handling the heavy fuzz.

EDIT: What kind of guitar as well?
I find the Big Muff is pretty sensitive in terms of where the dials are. I play through a Blues Jr as well, and my Sovtek Big Muff is a handful, to say the least. I tend to keep my Tone at 11:00 since, like you said, it's too trebly or muddy either way, then use the sustain knob to dial in exactly what sound I want (crunched or bubbly).

imgooley has it though. It's really about balancing the characteristics of the amp (bright and bluesy) with the darker, bassier tone of a Big Muff.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
ive had a tough time getting it to sound good on my blues jr....my problem has been it almost sounds like some of the tone cuts out and the volume drops when playing two notes
maybe ill try those settings though, give it another
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by imgooley
Lol, if that pedal isn't right for The Black Keys, you don't know the Black Keys

Try this. Put the fat switch on, boost the mids all the way, drop the bass and put the treble on 6.

Then set the muff with everything at noon.

Also, What guitar are you using?

I know it's not perfect but I'm using a Strat with a Hot Rail in the bridge. These tips helped a lot, thank you- every time I see them live I am just blown away by how ridiculously heavy his tone is. Amazing.
id def try to put an overdrive like a tubescreamer in front of it...thickens it a lot...the fuzz naturally seems to lack some low end on the blues jr. but the overdive gives it an awesome punch
i still use my crunch box as my main distortion...best distortion ive ever heard
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by stevepalmer
I know it's not perfect but I'm using a Strat with a Hot Rail in the bridge. These tips helped a lot, thank you- every time I see them live I am just blown away by how ridiculously heavy his tone is. Amazing.

His sound is huge.

He uses a ton a different fuzzes in the studio, but live, (or at least when I saw them last), he was using a Green Sovtek Muff.

It's that 8x12 and the JMP100 that he uses
I've vids of him sporting a Hiwatt DR103 too.

EDIT: The hotrails actually helps. He used a Tele with Dimarzio twin blades in it on the Rubber Factory and Thickfreakness tours.
Last edited by imgooley at Feb 21, 2009,