When you learn songs by tab, do you learn the tab and ignore what chords they are, What Key its in etc. and just play, or learn the what chords are used, and what scale it is in, then physically learn it?
Last edited by TonalPerfection at Feb 20, 2009,
I prefer to train my ear and figure it out. I'll only use a tab to find out what tuning the band uses if I don't already know. Most tabs are inaccurate anyway, and your ear is far more valuable than a tab, IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I prefer to train my ear and figure it out. I'll only use a tab to find out what tuning the band uses if I don't already know. Most tabs are inaccurate anyway, and your ear is far more valuable than a tab, IMO.

What about when you started out and in the early stages?
You have many Wuestions young one.

I usually just listen to a tab and modify it until it sounds perfect in comparison to the actual song. It can be frustrating trying to find a note on the record which you just can't find on the fretboard, although my ears have been getting better at it...
Quote by TonalPerfection
What about when you started out and in the early stages?

Same thing, I just picked songs in standard tuning. Gotta start somewhere, and putting it off by using tabs doesn't seem like it'll make it any less difficult to rely on your ear.

Just pick simple songs to begin with. Once you get the hang of it and your ears catch up to your hands and vice versa, you can move on.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I used to get tabs for everything I learned, but now I just kinda jam with the song till I get it, which usually helps me remember the arrangements better anyway.
I still need tabs for most solo's though
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.