I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now. I have been thinking I could use a guitar update. Is it too early to buy a new guitar? Epiphone seems to be sticking out at me and I was thinking about getting one this summer but i dont know if its too early to buy a new one. My current one is pretty bad, its a beginner brand called Spectrum. Ive seached on Google and havent found them yet so Im guessing its already a pretty obselete guitar.
So please just give me your opinion.
Thanks,
-Andrew
Well, I've been playing for two years, and I've got a Fender Stratocaster American Standard and a Ibanez ICT700 Iceman. I don't think that i can be too early to buy a new guitar, if you've got the cash
Ibanez have some pretty nice guitars.SO does schecter. Look at them you might find something you like.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
i got my second guitar at a year and a half of being playing so i dont think its too early
how much are you trying to spend? what kind off music do you play? what amp do you have?
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Im fine with going anywhere from 300-1000. But then again Im stuck at "Why would a guitarist whos been playing for a year and a half be buying a guitar for $1000??"
I have been looking at the Black Beauty and the standard LP Custom. Theyre both $800, too much?
And I have a pretty decent amp. Its a Crate FW15R. Its not a Marshall but it still blasts haha. The onboard distortion is really bad but I got a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal so it actually sounds beautiful. Thanks for the quick reply.

EDIT: Im mostly interested in playing punk and some rock. I know how good Ibanez is but in my opinion, they just seem to scream metal. My friend has one and it just looks so sharp and sleek that it just says metal all over it haha.
I also want to get a guitar i know Ill have for 3+ years down the road. I dont want to have to spend $800 then another $800 a year from now. Thanks again
Last edited by andrew_dow at Feb 20, 2009,
- Ibanez Iceman
- Jackson Rhoads
- Gibson Les Paul
- Gibson SG
- BC Rich

A small list of awesome guitars. They might be a little costy, though.
I've only been playing for about 10 months and I've got some pretty decent gear already (see sig).

Only you can decide if it's worth paying that much for a guitar, if you feel like you're alright at guitar, then yea why not? Heck I wanted to buy a Gibson Explorer about a month ago, but they no longer make one in the finish that I wanted.

I only speak from my own experience though. At $800, I feel you can get much better guitars than an Epiphone, look to see what type of guitars you can get in your area used for $800. I bought both of the guitars that you see in my sig and my Traynor amp used and I'm glad I did cause I saved quite a bit of money.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Got my second guitar today.
Close to two years.
But I tell you UPGRADE YOUR AMP FIRST.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Yeah seriously... i'm sure the crate is decent but you'll regret not upgrading it. I'd recommend a peavey vypyr 30 or roland cube 30x, whichever you like more.

For punk and rock... definitely something with at least 1 humbucking pickup. You could get an epiphone les paul... With one of the amps i suggested i think that would cost about $200 and then you can choose which guitar you want from there.

Definitely try a lot of guitars, though. I don't play solely metal, but ibanez necks are my favorite.
Thats not a bad idea. Ill think about upgrading the amp. I just bought it like last August so ill probably keep it till the end of the summer though. Ive been pretty interested in these three Epiphones. Im a long way from actually buying but this will give you an idea of what Im looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=518340&base_pid=518350&base_pid=519391

I like the Black Beauty for the extra humbucker, that would be wicked sweet. The other two Ive heard great things about though... Any thoughts?
damn a g after a yr lol dude i have a bcrich nv jr delux v and its got emgs and a floyd rose and it was only 650 sounds GREAT looks BEAUTYFULL id check it out def if i were u
\m/ metal up your ass