Hi, I've been playing for like a year and a half, the thing is, I can't play fast runs and passages like the ones in For Whom the Bell Tolls or Running Free.

By passages I mean, the single note stuff like Adrian plays in Running Free and that kind of stuff. I don't know if I just lack the dexterity or if it's my coordination or whatever, I just can't achieve those speeds.

Does anyone have any tips or exercises for this? I really want to get this down as it's limiting me from playing a lot of stuff. I already try to use a metronome and slowly increase the tempo but it's not helping.
do this exersize
Just play x|-0-1-2-3 and go up and down and keep doing this.
Ask someone who knows how to play good, how to hold your pick while speed picking, or picking fast.
Quote by timbit2006
do this exersize
Just play x|-0-1-2-3 and go up and down and keep doing this.
Ask someone who knows how to play good, how to hold your pick while speed picking, or picking fast.

Why not the full chromatic scale?

TS, I'd advise doing some basic scales, such as the chromatic or the pentatonic. It's tedious work, but it's help you improve your speed, and will be useful for improvising and writing later (assuming you want to).
Best thing to practice is whatever it is you're trying to play - if you want to play the runs from Running Free then practice them, just actually learn to play them before you worry about palying them at full speed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There are some articles with some good excercises on the lessons section which you can work on. Or you can figure out the timing to the song your trying to play, use a metronome, slow it down and build your speed up to the actual speed.
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
Yeah, I'm tryng to learn them fast parts in running free and I think the best way is to play them slowly and then gradually build up speed.