Gibsons and Deans are very overpriced brands........
but Gibsons are good and Deans suck.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
You really think people make guitars with 2 pieces of wood and sand that mfer all the way down? I don't like Dean guitars and I think they are crap but thats more the workers than the machines.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
some are made by hand some might
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by ToalNOOB
You really think people make guitars with 2 pieces of wood and sand that mfer all the way down? I don't like Dean guitars and I think they are crap but thats more the workers than the machines.

yeah there called luthiers :P ah not but seriously, thats an insane price for what ya get like
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
It was weird. I was watching Yu-Gi-Yo the Abridged Series (The spoof), and as I watched this I thought it was also a spoof. Pretty funny, cause if it was a spoof it kind of fit. :p
I expected more hand made, but whatever.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
They're overpriced, but they're not bad guitars. All of the ones I've played where really good. The prices really are ridiculous though.
^Washburns aren't.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
From my experience the hardware on deans is usually not the best stuff for the price (LFR instead of OFR, Dimebuckers, poor wiring, etc) and thats what inflates the price. The actual guitar bodies for the most part are constructed fairly well, however I do agree that most deans are overpriced.

BTW: Dumb question, but anyone know what the song was in the video at 1:25? I can tell its Megadeth, but ive never heard that song before
Yea they're quite expensive. The Dean USA Z Time Capsule is like $2600 I think. For that kind of money, you may as well just look for the real 80s Dean Z which will be cheaper.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by masterbuild
maybe its my ignorance but are the dean usa guitars really over priced? like 3000 for a guitar made entirely by a machine.

I'm not defending Dean but you obviously don't know what you are talking about. No guitar is completely machine/CNC made.

And Dean wouldn't charge that price if people weren't willing to pay it. Damn near everything you buy has some sort of markup and therefore is "overpriced." If you aren't happy with what you are getting for the money you spend don't buy it. There's no point bithing and crying about it.
Last edited by T!AN at Feb 20, 2009,
Any company does the basic routing/shaping of a guitar body on CNC equipment. It's just cheaper and more accurate from one guitar to the next. If you listen all of the final shaping is done by hand and the neck is shaped by hand like they did back in the 70's. Did you bother to watch the rest of the videos? The finish on the USA models is entirely done by hand, that takes a lot of time to do and many man-hours. If you've ever built a guitar you would know how much time it takes for final shaping/fitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUTdY0HttA&feature=related

Any guitar made in the United States will be pricey. We pay our workers more and provide benefits like insurance.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Carvin guitars are made in the USA (aside from their acoustics) and are reasonably priced...
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
Quote by football4224

BTW: Dumb question, but anyone know what the song was in the video at 1:25? I can tell its Megadeth, but ive never heard that song before

Set the World Afire.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
I'm laughing at the voice over guy, he's too intense for me. It's like a way too cool for school "How it's Made"
Price probably reflects the difficult shape to make etc. Dean USA's do play amazingly. but you can get a lot more for your money.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Gibsons and Deans are very overpriced brands........
but Gibsons are good and Deans suck.........

Fail of epic proportions.
Quote by thedonutman
PRSs are machine made, doesn't change the fact that they are some of the best guitars in the world.

Jeez I could argue against that all day
I can't stand the giant ass heels on their necks, there is no reason for it to be there
PRS used to make some of the best guitars when they were made by hand.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Wow, PRS are not some of the best in the world. Far from it, ya they look really good, but man, not amazing. They do not play like a 3000 dollar guitar should, and I have played alot of PRS's. There 800 dollar guitars, feel exactly like their 3000 dollar guitars. Gibson has poor quality control, every guitar they make is done differently, it's strange considering the size of thier company. I found love in a 60's neck faded les paul standard, it played better than any other Gibson they had at the shop, from Supreme's to a Custom Shop Wylde. Dean is no more overpriced than any other brand out their today.

The companies where you actually get bang for your buck today are few and far between, but a few are Fender, their mexican models are great value, and play great, Ibanez, the king in my opinion, these guys strive to create quality instruments with righteous prices.

If you are going to spend 3000 dollars on a guitar, or even 2000+ Why would you not look around and have one made for you, to your specifications. I have priced out a custom and its about 2500-3000 bucks for what I want. Then you can get anything your little heart desires...
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
the voice overs hilarious

on topic i do think deans ar over priced for the specs.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Hah. I love the narration to that video. He seems to be holding back hard from screaming, "They're making a guitar. SERIOUSLY. DUDE. A GUITAR. RIGHT THERE. LOOK AT IT. I MEAN LOOK. THERE. A NECK. OHHHHH YEAH BABY."
The Americans are so overpriced because if you get a good model, (non dime affiliated in anyway whatsoever) the korean one's are incredible. I played a Leslie West Soltero MIK in a shop that was like $700 and then played the $4000 american one and there wasn't that much difference. Both had great tone and excellent quality (I've done this with a number of Dean guitars
UG's Prodigal Son
was i the only one who thought that video was really cool?

maybe just cause im a guitar builder?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by continental
show me a made in USA guitar that isn't overpriced.

pay close attention!!!

ATOMIC GUITAR WORKS (MYSPACE)

ATOMIC GUITAR WORKS (WEBSITE)

you can have a made in USA, by HAND, guitar, that can crush a Charvel or PRS or whatever you put it up against, and not pay through the ass.

price ranges from under $1,000 and go up with features and addons.

some of their most expensive stuff is still only 2400, is that over priced for the quality of a hand built in the USA instrument? not for what your getting. these guitars sound incredible, you'll never even know you've gone without till you hear one.
Quote by m_Soares
Carvin guitars are made in the USA (aside from their acoustics) and are reasonably priced...

+1

Machine carved isn't necessarily a bad thing...
PRS and Carvin do it

Dean is quite a bit overpriced. For one of their US models, I believe the price should be at least 20% lower. 40% would be more realistic for the guitar you're getting. Their American models are much better than their Korean (i believe) models. I still probably wouldn't buy one though... not with other custom shops being in the same price range.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think part of Dean's high price is they pay someone else to make most if not all of their USA guitars, though for the life of me I can not remember the place's name.

And if you can't tell the difference between a $700 and a $4000 USA guitar, either the USA guitar is not really a USA guitar or you're not very objective. The electronics will be better, as will the quality of the woods, fit and finish, trim pieces like inlays, and the often have other subtle differences that change from brand to brand. Most guitars over $700 PLAY well and SOUND good, but the construction can make a huge difference in the life of the guitar and cost/ease of ownership.

EDIT: I believe that company is US Masters.
Last edited by CJRocker at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by CJRocker
I think part of Dean's high price is they pay someone else to make most if not all of their USA guitars, though for the life of me I can not remember the place's name.
EDIT: I believe that company is US Masters.

I've been to Dean's US headquarters in Florida before. They make all of their US instruments right there in shop, not outsourced somewhere else. They used to be based in Chicago when they were making high-end boutique instruments but those days are in the past with any large guitar company.

Also I've never heard of US Masters before. Looking at their guitars they look to be a quality builder but the price kinda scares me
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60