The input jack on my guitar keeps coming loose.

This started after I put new pickups in my guitar, when I put all of the electronic back in. If a picture is needed of the wiring I can put one up.

So,

1)how do i tighten the nut so it doesn't come off?
2)what's the proper order for the washer, nut and other piece for the assembly of the input jack?
3) should the wires leading up to the input jack be twirled at all? and will it hurt anything to put a twist tie around them preventing this from happening?
4) the screws on the cover are also stripped, how do i find out the size of them?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
sorry to be impatient, but this really needs to be fixed before i take the guitar to go jam, which is soon.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Get a wrench, that is fairly thin. Put it parallel to the nut, to twist it easier. That main cover plate thing goes on first, then the washer, and after that, the nut. Hope I helped a little. Just make sure it's as tight as possible to prevent slippage.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
that happened to me ^ (the wires broke)

if its still playable, just bring it to your jam, it should be fine. but yes, take it to a guitar shop.
My guitar shop will have my guitar gone for months. The shop here is slow. I can fix it - I just need to know the best way. I'll be untwisting the wires. I know that much. But i need to the order of the nut and what not, as well as how to figure out those screw sizes.

The nut comes off periodically, once every thirty minutes or so.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
are you really asking how to use a washer and nut?

washer goes under the nut. the other piece goes on the other side between the pot and the pickguard.

tighten up the nut. if it starts coming off as you tighten it try turning it in the opposite direction.
No, there's another circular piece with prongs coming out of all sides of it.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Sides of a circle, what?

I think we may need pics for this... The only thing I can think of that would fit that would be the jack itself, but I'm sure you'd know what that was
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by Coolcat13
Sides of a circle, what?

I think we may need pics for this... The only thing I can think of that would fit that would be the jack itself, but I'm sure you'd know what that was

Imagine a drawing of the sun, by a little kid. It's a circle with all the "rays of sunshine" coming off the sides.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Haha, I know, I'm just commenting that circles don't technically have sides... Is it all metal, or what's it made of?
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
it's metal.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by Coolcat13
Haha, I know, I'm just commenting that circles don't technically have sides... Is it all metal, or what's it made of?

I was gonna guess wood or ivory or maybe bagel bites. I was close though.
Quote by idahoimmortal
Imagine a drawing of the sun, by a little kid. It's a circle with all the "rays of sunshine" coming off the sides.

its just a different kind of washer its made to grip the metal.
I am me. Live with it.
The circles piece is a type of lockwasher.

1) Are you really asking how to tighten a nut? You turn it. If it a strat style jack, use pliers to turn the nut, hold the jack in your other hand.
2)This has been covered. Don't ask this again. Saying you can fix it yourself, then asking how to use a washer/nut really doesn't give a good impression of your technical skills.
3) I always twist the wires going to jack if I am not using a shielded wire, as twisting them works almost the same.
4) Take it to the hard ware store and compare, or go to your music shop and ask for some.
Quote by idahoimmortal
1)how do i tighten the nut so it doesn't come off?
You have to take it apart to the point where you can hold the jack, while you tighten the nut. Otherwise the jack will turn and the wires will break off. Use a six-point box wrench -or- a socket and ratchet if you have one, to prevent rounding off the corners of the nut when you tighten it. You can use an open-end wrench, but you won't be able to tighten the nut as much.

Quote by idahoimmortal
2)what's the proper order for the washer, nut and other piece for the assembly of the input jack?
IF you have enough room, this is my preference from inside to outside:

Jack
Lockwasher
Pickguard or jackplate
Lockwasher
Flat washer
Nut

Quote by idahoimmortal
3) should the wires leading up to the input jack be twirled at all? and will it hurt anything to put a twist tie around them preventing this from happening?
Having the wires twisted isn't a problem, but having them twisted so tight that the wires break off because the jack turns while tightening IS a problem. See #1

Quote by idahoimmortal
4) the screws on the cover are also stripped, how do i find out the size of them?
Take them to a hardware store and compare them to others of the same size?

Quote by PainIsPower
1) Are you really asking how to tighten a nut? You turn it. If it a strat style jack, use pliers to turn the nut, hold the jack in your other hand.
I STRONGLY advise against using pliers.
You will are likely to damage the nut.
A wrench or socket/ratchet is a much better choice.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by idahoimmortal
No, there's another circular piece with prongs coming out of all sides of it.

that would be the other piece i referred to that goes between the pot and your pickguard. washer and nut on one side, other piece on the other side.
Hah, I fix this problem all the time for kids at my store. SomeoneYouKnew has it exactly right, it's a pretty simple repair
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer