I'm thinking about picking up a new guitar. I really don't care for the feel and sound of my Cort. I was looking at either a Schecter C-1+ or a Strat. I have't found a store around me that has a Schecter that I can try, but from what I've read and seen on YouTube they seem like very good guitars. I've played a few Strats before, and they felt very nice (the fretboards especially).

I play a range of music, but mostly rock, ranging from alternative to lighter grunge/metal (not into the really heavy metal though). I'm still fairly new at guitar though, so I'm looking at getting as much range as I can if I pick up new styles (which is what drew me to the Schecters--two volume knobs & coil tap seemed like it might give me the range I'm looking for).

I was planning on getting a guitar used. There's a ~1 year old Koa Strat on Craigslist for around $450 (my budget's around $500, tops), and the C-1+ goes for around $400 on ebay... Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I've never bought a used instrument from an individual before--is there anything in particular I should look for?
what's your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Schecter.

I believe fender have such poor build quality, from action and trem design to neck joints and fret installation.
lolSchecterlover

Anyway I say play both the with your amp or the closest model to it. Find what works better for YOU! I would lean toward a strat because they tend to have better tone than most schecters in most cases, but always go for the better feeling and good tone guitar.

Given your choice in music id lean toward strats, Gretches (any and all of their Jet series), and/or SGs but thats my opinion.
Quote by SuperJoop
Schecter.

I believe fender have such poor build quality, from action and trem design to neck joints and fret installation.

What fender did you play? Nearly all the fender's I've played have been quite nice players.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Upon actually reading the OP () Go to a local guitar shop and do my aforementioned test with the same model fo guitars you want. Dealing with used equipment that you haven't played can be tricky, but if its' in 'like new' condition you should be ready to go with most used. Make sure to be anal about pics everywhere to check for changes/possible future problems
How can you choose between a Strat that has single coils and is made for blues and a Schecter with EMGs that is designed for metal.

I would look at maybe an Epiphone G-400 Gothic if you want something Versatile or if you can get an Iommi signature SG.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Well, my "guitar" amp is an $80 Kustom, but I normally play through a Digitech RP-150 and then through my Marshall MB30 bass amp (which sounds leaps and bounds better than the Kustom guitar amp)... Not exactly the ideal I know... I plan on replacing the Kustom in a few months with a Line 6 Spider III.
Quote by random_B-RAD
How can you choose between a Strat that has single coils and is made for blues and a Schecter with EMGs that is designed for metal.

I would look at maybe an Epiphone G-400 Gothic if you want something Versatile or if you can get an Iommi signature SG.

The C-1+ has duncan designed humbuckers... the one with EMGs is the hellraiser.

EDIT: Get a new amp first and don't get a Line 6 Spider 3, marshall MG, fender frontman, or Raven amp.
Quote by Pac_man0123
The C-1+ has duncan designed humbuckers... the one with EMGs is the hellraiser.

Orite.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by akdms
Well, my "guitar" amp is an $80 Kustom, but I normally play through a Digitech RP-150 and then through my Marshall MB30 bass amp (which sounds leaps and bounds better than the Kustom guitar amp)... Not exactly the ideal I know... I plan on replacing the Kustom in a few months with a Line 6 Spider III.

Whoa, get a Vypyr. They're the same price and just THAT much better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
What fender did you play? Nearly all the fender's I've played have been quite nice players.

I have owned a deluxe strat with S-1 switching, cobolt noisless pick ups etc..

And at the moment I own a 2008 USA fender stratocaster custom closet reissue 1960's custom shop with custom shop 60's pick ups.

Since owning my PRS, and playing numerous tom Anderson's, suhr and vigier I have realized Fender should be history for a reason.

They look and sound amazing, but the playability is simply not there on many of their models. Maybe a custom shop made by john cruz would be better?...lol
Amp yourself man, amps are as important or even more important to controling your tone...and loudness!!

If I was offered the free choice of any guitar or amp I would go for the choice in amp. Just because its that important.
EDIT: I take that comment back. You amply presented your case.

Fender still make shella good amps. Give them that.
Last edited by manhangi at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by akdms

i would look for a used mexican made strat or a used schecter C1+

you can get either for around $250-300.

take the extra money, look at a roland cube series. maybe a vox,
or if you plan on gigging soon, maybe make the jump to a small used tube amp.

if you play a lot of metal, heavy rock, you'll want a guitar with humbuckers.

if you play a wide variety of music, then a fat strat, something with a humbucker in the bridge, a couple of single coils in there too.

fyi, i only respond to threads where i know what i'm talking about. i hate when guys just post guesses.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Get a new amp, Line 6 spiders are **** and you will kill yourself when you buy one.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
schecter black jack my friend those things shreds aslo the c-1 plus are nasty as well
smacking bone kydd
Quote by random_B-RAD

Made for blues? Ever heard of Iron Maiden?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I would say the Schecter. I was making the same decision leading up to me buying the C-1+. I tried a ton of fenders, but the neck only felt good on one of them, and it was an SSS model, not HSS. I tried a Schecter and loved the way it played, and it sounded good too. I replaced the pickups since (well, I haven't installed them yet, but I have them), but the sound was still very good. I wanted to like the strats, but they just played terribly.
Quote by random_B-RAD

i hate when people always have this misconception about Schecters...
Quote by SuperJoop
I have owned a deluxe strat with S-1 switching, cobolt noisless pick ups etc..

And at the moment I own a 2008 USA fender stratocaster custom closet reissue 1960's custom shop with custom shop 60's pick ups.

Since owning my PRS, and playing numerous tom Anderson's, suhr and vigier I have realized Fender should be history for a reason.

They look and sound amazing, but the playability is simply not there on many of their models. Maybe a custom shop made by john cruz would be better?...lol

So you didn't like it for feel and therefore feel it's a disgrace to guitars?

I'm sorry, but overall damning a brand for feel is idiotic. Maybe for yourself, but for everyone? Come on man. I despise Ibanez Wizard necks, locking trems and I prefer mid/low-output pickups, but does that stop me from recommending things with locking trems, thin necks or high-output/active pickups? No. Because I realize while I may dislike it, some do like it. I'm fine with you disliking them, but saying they shouldn't remain? Honestly. Plus if you read the first post you'd see the TS said he liked the feel.

Anyway, TS, based on your genres I'd get the strat, but make sure to get HSS so you have a bridge humbucker for metal.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 22, 2009,
Quote by random_B-RAD
Get a new amp, Line 6 spiders are **** and you will kill yourself when you buy one.

I'm sorry, I know this is the typical thing to say in EG, but yeah. Do you want to know what your guitar sounds like? If yes, this is a bad idea. They sound like First Acts. Since you haven't bought it yet, go back to the store and try out a few more within that price range.

As far as your guitar, well. Both can do humbucking and single coil, and the rest is up to your amp, so pick the one that looks and feels better to you. Or depending on your background whichever's cheaper. Can't get ahold of the Schecter, try another guitar with a rosewood fretboard and similar neck specs, ask your self how it feels.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
i would take the C1 over the Strat any day; unless the Strat had a Floyd installed from the factory...
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
There's only one good answer to your question

SCHECTER!

great guitars I've played on many of there guitars and they are definitely my favorite
Quote by SuperJoop
Schecter.

I own 2 fenders. They do okay. The recent mexican ones are okay and so are the older jap ones. I have a jap foto flame with david gilmore emgs and graph tech saddles .... lsr nut ...and planet waves tuners ...its an okay guitar but its hardily a fender anymore since 90% of it is after market.

put it this way. i wish i still had my schecter ... and an 85 prs .... but you cant always get what you want says mick jagger
Quote by bjovi400
i would take the C1 over the Strat any day; unless the Strat had a Floyd installed from the factory...

i wish i had your patience. ill punch myself in the balls before i try to restring another floyd rose
Schecter all the way man. The playability on my C-1+ is amazing. Looks sexy as hell too.
is it just me or has schecter become the new fad? or has like schecters just became part of the metalcore or whatever core scene? and just get whatever guitar you like it's all a matter of opinion. asking people what guitar you should get is like jumping into the bandwagon and before you know it you will have like 5 guitars you dont like 2 piece of crap amps and so on.
Schecters are just great guitars, and it's caught on. I regret selling my C-1+, definitely one of the most playable guitars I've owned!