Before I start I would like to mention that I have used the 'search' function and have browsed the bass forum and I found nothing on the first few pages, so don't just post back with some horse piss about the sites features, also don't just cry about the fact I should go to a guitar shop and find out for myself because I have neither the time or the energy to bother and this would also negate half the purpose of this site.

Now, I have pretty much no idea on bass pickups, I know the difference in active and passive but when it comes to jazz/precision pickups and humbuckers on bass guitars I don't really know what is different tone wise, not to mention all this single and double coil stuff. I'm assuming nice fat humbuckers give a big growl compared to others but that's just a guess, care to enlighten me with a brief description of what you get from each? and how they may differ by being closer to bridge/neck?

Also, what differences are there between each type of pickup, for example EMG offer a few different bass humbuckers, as Seymour Duncan probably do, but what's the difference in them all?

Thanks for any useful help anyone can provide, hell, I'll be happy if you know a link to another thread explaining it or another site, just don't post me some wank replies like a douche.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
You live in manchester right?

go to dawsons and try out some of their basses.

with this kind of thing it is best to form your own opinion. only you know what sound you want so only you can choose what style of pickups is best for what you need.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
You live in manchester right?

go to dawsons and try out some of their basses.

with this kind of thing it is best to form your own opinion. only you know what sound you want so only you can choose what style of pickups is best for what you need.

x

Yes, congrats for posting exactly what I requested not to be posted, I would like to know what kind of pickup would best suit what I want, do you suggest I find every single pickup ever made of whichever type I like the tone of and compare each to find the one I want? No, that's stupid, like your reply. Anyone can just say go to a store to see what you like. If you must know I want the whole deep growly stuff, so...

p.s. I bet you work for dawsons, because everyone in Manchester knows dawsons has a pathetic range of guitars and anyone with a brain who didn't work for dawsons would suggest music ground or roadhouse, but still roadhouse seems to be going tits up.

Wall of text over.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
I was about to post a few links for you to read over, but after reading your comments I've decided against it. Shinhoman is also correct, if you don't have the 'time or energy' to find the answers yourself, then sadly I don't have the time or energy to type up those links again.

Drop the frankly embarrassing angry old man attitude. Would you act this way in real life?
Quote by Edgey_15
Yes, congrats for posting exactly what I requested not to be posted, I would like to know what kind of pickup would best suit what I want, do you suggest I find every single pickup ever made of whichever type I like the tone of and compare each to find the one I want? No, that's stupid, like your reply. Anyone can just say go to a store to see what you like. If you must know I want the whole deep growly stuff, so...

p.s. I bet you work for dawsons, because everyone in Manchester knows dawsons has a pathetic range of guitars and anyone with a brain who didn't work for dawsons would suggest music ground or roadhouse, but still roadhouse seems to be going tits up.

Wall of text over.

You're an idiot.
Well, thank you for being a dick before you even heard from us. If you want respect, then be respectful.

As for pickups, what has already been said. You know the different pickup manufacturers, and they have websites that will explain the difference to you. Google is just as valid as the searchbar.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
quarter pounder are great for deep cutting tones, that all i can say
also low output pickups tend to have nice low end and clear sound, while high output pickups give you a nice deep growl
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If you can't be bothered to form your own opinion about something as vital as pickups, and attack anybody who calmly and kindly suggests you try them yourself, you are not a real musician. Asking for a basic breakdown of pickups is one thing. Letting your petty pubescent testosterone outweigh someone's good advice takes you from mediocre to a joke.

I suggest you buy an Epiphone T-Bird, plug it up into a Behringer amp of choice, and then jump into a river.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Well, I wasn't even that much of a 'prick' really but I do apologise for my possibly hasty reply. I didn't insult or flame the guy I merely just said that he posted what I asked not to be posted whilst pointing out that dawson's range of bass guitars consists of about... 5? And their staff are (in my experience) very unhelpful. Whenever anyone asks a question anywhere on this forum, there is always the barrage of common replies being: use search, go to a shop or google it. These don't usually help anyone or answer the persons question which is usually asked to open up some form of discussion which is why I come on here, to see other people's preferences and such to help myself form my own opinion. Although these common replies do help with some questions but not many.

I would go into a shop but I don't know what to look for at all which was the original point of the thread, to find out which type of pickups I should try to see if I like, as I will never have the time to systematically play every bass guitar in a shop.

Also thanks P-Bass Pirate, I didn't know they had explanations of their pickups on their websites, I will check them out.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
If you really want to change your sound, your amp and the bass itself has a whole lot more of an effect on the tone.

As a general rule - Precision pickups thump, Jazz pickups growl, humbuckers are almost a smoother growl.

Oh, and the reason "use the searchbar" comes up such a large amount is because pickups, strings, PvsJ bass, "gimme songs to learn!" and such threads come up a huge amount.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Feb 21, 2009,
ok go play a musicman stingray, a fender P bass, a Fender Jazz bass and a schecter stilleto those 4 basses have the four standard styles of pickups

stingray = humbuckers = very middy and agressive
p bass = split single coil = low mid punch with plenty of thump
jazz bass = single coils= snappy trebles and smooth lows with very biting overtones gives a growl to every note you play
stiletto = soapbars = middle of the road, quite plain sounding usually coupled with an active EQ because of the very flat frequency response
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Feb 21, 2009,
Thanks a lot for your help, I can now go and try some different pickups and know what to listen for. By the sounds of it I'm either looking for P or humbucker pickups but I shall try all of them. I'll have a look for them bass' skater dan0, or something similar to help me.

Could someone inform me on what differences there are between neck and bridge pickups? does this also change the tone of the pickups?

Also I find the searchbar often inconclusive, I can make the search as specific or open ended as I want but never really find what I'm looking for and I can often loose patience with my somewhat inconsistent internet causing pages not to load properly etc.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
the bridge pickup will produce a slightly brighter tone than the neck pickup, it will sound thinner than it's neck counterpart. also bridge pickups are wound to give a higher output because the strings vibrate less near the bridge and produce less volume so the pickup has to be stronger to balance it out
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks for the replies and info. I have learned a bit about pickups to get me started on upgrading my own and have also learnt what annoys the dwellers of the bass section.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
What these guys have said is just an overview though.
Really it's all about your own personal preference more than anything.
So ye, get a general idea of what you want and go try them out, it's the only way to really know.

And I laughed at the first reply being exactly what you didn't want
...always the way with UG.
Quote by Edgey_15

Could someone inform me on what differences there are between neck and bridge pickups? does this also change the tone of the pickups?

Basically the pickup is picking up vibrations from tauter or looser bits of string. So bridge pickups have less string vibrating between them and an endpoint than neck pickups, resulting in a crisper tone.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Yeah I have a rough idea now so I know what I want to be trying out, previously I could just try a bass and not really know the differences (obviously im a bit noobish but everyone starts somewhere), I'm still trying to figure out differences between manufacturers pickups though, didn't realise there was so many on offer, fair bit of reading/testing to be done and probably similar future threads to be posted. Thanks for all the info though
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
But cant you hear the difference's. It sounded as though you wanted poeple to form your opinions. One mans growl can be anothers smooth buttery sound, in preportion though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Your best bet aside from just trying as many as possible, is to get on google and harmony central and read through pup reviews. See what other people have reviewed and tend to prefer so you have a general idea of what you're interested in. As has been said above though, it's all about your ears and what generates the tone you're looking for. A pickup may or may not be the solution. Starting out, I'd say just try a variety of active and passive pups and see what gives you the most responsive tone to your playing style.

That and maybe being a little more humble when you're asking for advice. Just because it's not the answer you want doesn't mean it isn't valid or correct there champ.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play