there's no best. only ones you like and ones you don't.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite

genius purrre genius! this man knows his stuff!
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
Quote by mikeyElite

THIS
EMG-81 is generally the most-used for metal.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
Quote by soadquake981
EMG-81 is generally the most-used for metal.

yep, tru dat.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
whats your amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
better yet, amp, budget, styles you want to play....

any versatility desired?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
why does it have to be EMG? Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, DiMarzio all make great pickups that I personally think beat EMG and I'm sure heaps of other people think so too.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Whats up with all the EMG hate on this board??? I use an 81 and 85, and I personally think they sound great, but are USELESS WITHOUT A TUBE AMP!!!!
To TS:
I like 81 in the bridge for metal/rhythms and 60/89 in the neck for cleans/leads.
Quote by RandyRhoads818
Which is the
Best Emg pickups?

The Seymour Duncan Blackout is the best "EMG" available.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by RJF
The Seymour Duncan Blackout is the best active pickup available in my opinion.

fixed

I love EMG's I use them in all my guitars. I haven't tried blackouts, so I won't comment on them. All pickups have their uses and sound, just gotta figure out which sound/use you are going for.

If you're set on EMGs look into the 81/85 or 81/60 combo. You could also check out the new EMG X models, and Seymour Duncan blackouts.

If you just want metal, but not active pickups per se....give bareknuckle painkillers a look.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Feb 21, 2009,
Most metal players use the 81 in the bridge and the 85 or 60 in the neck. A lot of people are also trying the 85 in the bridge. Meatier tone from what I've heard so far. I chose the 60 for the neck for cleans and the 81 for the bridge. I like a lot of mids and this combo gives me a lot. I also use an SA in the mid position for country, blues, anything 'twangy'.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
As a former EMG user I'd just like to say that the only reason I switched is because I couldn't get enough sweetness out of my 81. Sure, it'd sheer anyone's face off that was within 10 yards, but it just seemed a tad one dimensional for me. But if you're playing any sort of 'heavy' music, it's hard to beat their articulation and ability to drive an amp. But as the first guy said, it's all in your ears. Just because 6 million other people use something doesn't mean you'll like it. For instance, I know plenty of people who swear by mesa amps, but I hate 'em lol. Tone is completely and utterly SUBJECTIVE.
Quote by properpat
Tone is completely and utterly SUBJECTIVE.

Tone is certainly subjective, but it's NOT completely and utterly subjective. There is definitely good and bad. Think of it like this...in the "objective and factual world", when someone has something wrong (say, a first grader), people say that they're wrong, and they just haven't learned that something yet. They don't say, oh, it's subjective, so they can think what they want. The same is true in the guitar world, although it's not quite the same thing. Some people certainly think that utter sh*t is good tone. That's just because their ear for tone isn't fully developed. Once it is, there is defintely room for subjectivity.

Now, genres and styles are a completely different thing.

tl;dr: tone's not as subjective as everyone makes it out to be.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Mark G
fixed

I love EMG's I use them in all my guitars. I haven't tried blackouts, so I won't comment on them. All pickups have their uses and sound, just gotta figure out which sound/use you are going for.

If you're set on EMGs look into the 81/85 or 81/60 combo. You could also check out the new EMG X models, and Seymour Duncan blackouts.

If you just want metal, but not active pickups per se....give bareknuckle painkillers a look.

Blackouts are the best "EMG", since it seems some people think EMG's are the only actives out there.

Give a set of BLackouts a try if you have a chance. I bet you'll be swapping out your EMG's. They are a bit crunchier than EMG's since they have a nice hard mid drive. They sound more clear and have a better clean tone too. THe neck blackout uses an alnico magnet instead of ceramic like EMG's. They aren't "PAF" jazzy on the cleans, but they are better than the bland EMG's.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by theoreticmusic
Tone is certainly subjective, but it's NOT completely and utterly subjective. There is definitely good and bad. Think of it like this...in the "objective and factual world", when someone has something wrong (say, a first grader), people say that they're wrong, and they just haven't learned that something yet. They don't say, oh, it's subjective, so they can think what they want. The same is true in the guitar world, although it's not quite the same thing. Some people certainly think that utter sh*t is good tone. That's just because their ear for tone isn't fully developed. Once it is, there is defintely room for subjectivity.

Now, genres and styles are a completely different thing.

tl;dr: tone's not as subjective as everyone makes it out to be.

And see I disagree. Somebody could be the most seasoned guitarist and still like what you or I would describe as 'crap' for tone. But I digress, we could go back and forth all day and not really finish this argument. Instead let's just agree to disagree. I will end by simply saying that YOUR tone must be just that, YOURS, regardless of the status quo.
Quote by RJF
THe neck blackout uses an alnico magnet instead of ceramic like EMG's. They aren't "PAF" jazzy on the cleans, but they are better than the bland EMG's.

EMG 85s use an alnico magnet too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMG_85
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by properpat
Somebody could be the most seasoned guitarist and still like what you or I would describe as 'crap' for tone.

Someone can also be a great seasoned guitarist and also have no ear for tone.

Anyway, I'd personally vote for the 86/81 combo, but I'd definintely look at some other pickups such as Bareknuckles.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia