Seymour Duncan JB...........or an SH-6
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by xfallchildx
hmmm i kno tom delonge uses this pickup... but a lot off UG users say that the invader is the totally opposite of tone . and that the invader is always muddy and unclear..

I thought Tom DeLonge used Gibson Dirty Fingers?

Check out a Seymour Duncan JB - its pretty hot but it retains clearness so it wont mud up your tone.
Yeah Tom used to use them now he uses the Gibson equivalent ie the Dirty Fingers.

Tom gets a great sound out of them. I'm about to buy one for my SG. If you're looking for great rock tone, that's where it's at. Loud and fierce.
peter

Last edited by GOD on the 7th day
I'd say either the JBs (SH-4) or Invaders (SH-8). Or go Dimebag and get the Dimebucker (SH-13).
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Come on guys, a JB in a strat?

Been there, done that. Overly bright, especially if you don't change the wiring to allow you to control the tone level of the bridge pickup.

I'd think if you're going for a similar tone to the JB, a SD 59' would be a better option for a strat.

My suggestion?

SD custom custom sh-11 (tb-11 for trem spacing)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
You, my friend, want a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Sounds great in any guitar, gets a great distorted tone while sounding semi decent on clean. It's probably the least articulate of all DiMarzio pups, but for what you play that isn't a problem.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by danyellenik
Come on guys, a JB in a strat?

Been there, done that. Overly bright, especially if you don't change the wiring to allow you to control the tone level of the bridge pickup.

I'd think if you're going for a similar tone to the JB, a SD 59' would be a better option for a strat.

My suggestion?

SD custom custom sh-11 (tb-11 for trem spacing)

agreed. although the Jb is pretty good it is a bit too bright and trebly. go to a guitar store and see if you can try out guitars with some of these different pickups in them.
Quote by pete_mack
Yeah Tom used to use them now he uses the Gibson equivalent ie the Dirty Fingers.

Tom gets a great sound out of them. I'm about to buy one for my SG. If you're looking for great rock tone, that's where it's at. Loud and fierce

The Invader is nothing like the Dirty Fingers, Tom DeLonge does not have good tone and Invaders are muddy and toneless.
Quote by a7xsteve

I'd say either the JBs (SH-4) or Invaders (SH-8). Or go Dimebag and get the Dimebucker (SH-13).

JBs will sound somewhat too trebly in a Strat, Invaders are muddy and horrible and Dimebuckers are muddy, tonally vapid and possess immense levels of string pull.
Quote by shadow__666
You, my friend, want a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Sounds great in any guitar, gets a great distorted tone while sounding semi decent on clean. It's probably the least articulate of all DiMarzio pups, but for what you play that isn't a problem.

A Super Distortion is an excellent pickup but I disagree with some of your points; it doesn't sound decent at all when played clean and it most certainly isn't the least articulate DiMarzio; the X2N takes that title by a long shot. The SD is actually quite articulate.

I haven't got much time so I'll just list my reccomendations with brief justification.
DiMarzio AT-1: hot PAF that sounds excellent in a Strat
Duncan Custom Custom: usually sounds too spongy and poorly defined because of the A2 magnets in the hot wind, but should regain some snap in a Strat style guitar.

Btw pop-punk/emo pop tone is mostly in the amp and level of gain; there are lots of different tones in there.
Quote by Rock Pig
The Invader is nothing like the Dirty Fingers, Tom DeLonge does not have good tone and Invaders are muddy and toneless.

JBs will sound somewhat too trebly in a Strat, Invaders are muddy and horrible and Dimebuckers are muddy, tonally vapid and possess immense levels of string pull.

A Super Distortion is an excellent pickup but I disagree with some of your points; it doesn't sound decent at all when played clean and it most certainly isn't the least articulate DiMarzio; the X2N takes that title by a long shot. The SD is actually quite articulate.

I haven't got much time so I'll just list my reccomendations with brief justification.
DiMarzio AT-1: hot PAF that sounds excellent in a Strat
Duncan Custom Custom: usually sounds too spongy and poorly defined because of the A2 magnets in the hot wind, but should regain some snap in a Strat style guitar.

Btw pop-punk/emo pop tone is mostly in the amp and level of gain; there are lots of different tones in there.

still stumped
^ stumped about what?
If you're still wondering why DeLonge and the UGers disagree, it's because DeLonge doesn't know good tone. If you're after opinions on the Custom and Custom Custom, I'd say the Custom is somewhat too harsh and sterile whereas the Custom Custom is the opposite; spongy and not too well defined. I reccomend the Custom Custom to you because it should sound a little better in a Strat. My normal reccomendation is in fact the Custom 5. If you're dead set on avoiding muddiness I'd say that's your ticket; it will be brighter than the Custom Custom or the '59, but not as harsh as the JB.
If you ask me, the DiMarzio AT-1 is like a Custom 5 but better. A little more tone and clarity in it.
Quote by jamesfarr
Seymour Duncan JB

WILL BE TOO DAMN TREBLY.
HAVEN'T YOU READ ANYTHING THIS WHOLE THREAD!? D:
Again, just use a 250K pot and it will smooth out the harsh high end of the JB. The JB works incredibly well in strat style guitars. Seymour Duncan wound it especially for Jeff Beck's telecaster.
Quote by al112987
Again, just use a 250K pot and it will smooth out the harsh high end of the JB. The JB works incredibly well in strat style guitars. Seymour Duncan wound it especially for Jeff Beck's telecaster.

Really? I thought they wound it for his Les Paul.
Actually, you know what?
The JB might actually be alright if you use 250K pots. I'd suggest getting a well tapered tone pot and wiring the second tone on your Strat to the bridge pickup if you're using a JB, so that you can roll some of the high end off if you need to.
But IMO the Custom 5 would be better.
Nope, it was wound for a telecaster. I've tried the JB in a les paul, the bass is too flubby and muds up and the highs are too harsh in a les paul as well. It just doesn't work all too well imo.
Quote by al112987
Nope, it was wound for a telecaster. I've tried the JB in a les paul, the bass is too flubby and muds up and the highs are too harsh in a les paul as well. It just doesn't work all too well imo.

I tried in in an Ibanez S - mahogany body, you know? I liked it in that, but I guess the mahogany was less overpowering because of the maple neck and the lack of body mass.
Alright, I concede. The JB might be pretty good after all ^^;
^not the Custom. Tonally sterile, you won't like it.
And put the JB on there, I got beaten in that debate ^^;
To be perfectly honest I don't really think what specific pickups you have in there really matter that much. I don't really find alternative rock, pop/punk tone to really be so specific and exacting that you would really need so much differentiation between pickups. You could go with just about any mid/high output pickup and it would do all the styles you want just fine. Just go to Seymour Duncan's tone chart and see which one has the kind of voicing you want. It's not like if you were trying to get a '60s blues rock tone when everyone and their mother used a les paul with original PAFs and so you'd have everyone recommending you a specific style of pickup, or if you were particular about getting (for example) Eric Clapton's tone on Wheels of Fire or Bluesbreakers and then someone could recommend a pickup that gets that specific sound.

Just my $0.02