Page 1 of 2
Is there really that much benefit from owning more than one guitar? I currently have a guitar with a floating bridge and was thinking of investing in a cheap fixed bridge guitar, for convenience and different tunings etc. I really like my guitar and there is one similar to it, but with the fixed bridge on ebay and I have to decide today if I want to buy it or not. It is priced fairly well and I have the money to spare, but will I get much out of it?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
do you play many songs in different tuning?
Quote by ShredGod George
you obviousry racka the disciprine needed to pray it right

My Gear:
Roland Micro Cube
Schecter C1-FR
There is definetly benefits in having another guitar. A different sound, a different tuning, just an all around varience to it everything.
Well, I haven't really played in other tunings much because of the floating bridge in the first place. I play in E standard but a lot of my favorite bands play in Eb and a few in D, then some death metal bands that I don't really know the tunings for.

Also, both the guitars are Ibanez RG models, but the one I'm looking at is Mahogany and the one I have is basswood if that helps.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
different tones are a big part of it
also if your on stage and you accidentally drop your guitar and the wiring breaks or something?
backup...
and if you play more than one style of music then multiple guitars is a must
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
I just like guitars so I have a whole mess of them. I don't really like cheapo guitars, so I only have good stuff.

Some people collect star wars wookies, i collect guitars.
Different tunings is the most useful reason, especially when you like locking trems

Its also useful for me as i have a main home guitar and a primary uni guitar
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I have a extra guitar for different tuning, plus they play/feel/sound totally different which is a big part of why i own more than one.
You could have a crappy guitar and start a show playing a crappy song, then switch to a good guitar that you were hiding and start shredding and then sell the crappy guitar and get a better one or maybe some hotpockets.
Bayside - Duality
Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
Horse the Band - The Mechanical Hand
Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
Common - Be
I can see the convenience in owning two now and I think my money would be well spent. The only thing I'm concerned about is one isn't really better than the other. They are both mid-ranged and identical apart from the wood and bridge. One isn't a cheap guitar that I can be careless with.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

The big benefit would be to own a completely different guitar, not necessarily the same guitar. you want a different feel, different tone, a guitar that makes you feel different from your other ones that you play. so another guitar for different tunings is good and everything, but I would think that a different guitar would be more important.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
i have one with single coils and one with humbuckers. i personaly think that is the way to go, you can pick up and play what ever you want depending on your mood.
Different guitars a good for different things. I don't like playing certain things on a strat, as I don't like playing certain things on my semi hollow, as I don't like playing certain things on my Harmony.

Plus, for a person like me, it pays to have guitars that can support multiple tunings. It's also fun to just have a lot of guitars.
I like having multiple guitars so I can record stuff with two different sounding guitars.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have enough to cover all the different tones and tunings that I play, but it is a luxury really. And since I have that, I've not had much need to buy many guitars (except the maybe once a year "Because it looked cool" type.)
I only play in standard tuning, but I own six guitars for different tones:

humbucker tone
single-coil tone
P90 tone
filtertron tone

If you listen carefully you'd hear the differences between Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, 335's, etc... so that's why I own one: for more TONEZ
Hah im kind of in the opposite situation that you are... I have a fixed bridge LP, and I really want a Floyd Rose. So whenever I have the cashola I will be getting another guitar most definitely. You should get it if you want it, is it possible to have too many guitars?
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
I only own 2, LP Studio and a Yamaha acoustic.

Really if you mess with your EQ enough you can simulate close enough to many aforementioned tones, but its' always good to have 2-4 guitars. Backups and whatnot.

I am just a simpleton, I love to (try to) make my LP sound like anything and everything and that usually makes me discover different tones for myself.
different tones, tunings, pickup configurations, neck styles, etc.

or just for looks too.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
1. ^That.
2. Tones.
3. Feels.
4. Tunings.
5. Fun! =3
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I'd recommend getting two different guitar, like eveyone else has basically said, for the different tones. For example, I own a PRS and it has a very smooth, clean tone. I'd like to purchase a Fender American Standard Strat (or whichever is the 1000 dollar guitar), for it's totally different tone. I think having the ability to play different tones will make it easier to play wide ranges of music.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If you like the feel of your current guitar just but want a different tone/tuning then it's a sensible option.

the fixed bridge gives tuning flexibility and even if the pickups are similar the bodywood will give a different tone. and even so, pickups can be replaced.

I'd go for it but only if you really like the feel of your current guitar
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I tell myself I own 5 guitars because of versitility and tones and all that and to a degree thats true.

Epi - G400 d, eb and e standard tuning - passive humbuckers
Ibanez Art 300 - drop tunings - active humbuckers
Squier Tele (project guitar) - standard tunings - single coils
Ibanez GRS200 - Bass Guitar
Fender CD140 - Acoustic

But if I'm completely honest with myself, the reason I have 5 guitars is I'm a pathetic gear head and a horrible compulsive shopper who has no impulse control. No sooner have I bought a peice of gear that I start craving for the next.

It's an illness I tell ya.
Last edited by Jaksar at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by grobbo91
Is there really that much benefit from owning more than one guitar? I currently have a guitar with a floating bridge and was thinking of investing in a cheap fixed bridge guitar, for convenience and different tunings etc. I really like my guitar and there is one similar to it, but with the fixed bridge on ebay and I have to decide today if I want to buy it or not. It is priced fairly well and I have the money to spare, but will I get much out of it?

It depends upon what you play.

I play in 2 tunings, so having guitars dedicated to the different tunings makes sense, and saves me time and trouble. Acoustic, Acoustic-Electrics, Hollowbodies, and Solidbody guitars have different sonic characteristics. Humbuckers have different sonic qualities from Single Coil pickups or Piezoelectric pickups. The number of pickups will affect the flexibility of the sound you get out of your guitar as well.

As a result, I own:

Standard Tuned Guitars
1) Yamaha classical
2) Dean EVO Special Select (H/H)
3) JKG Model 12 Hollowbody (S/S/S)
4) JKG Model 8-INS A/E (LR Baggs)

NST Tuned Guitars
1) Ovation Elite A/E (Ovation)
2) Dean TC 25Aniv. Cadillac (H/H/H)
3) JKG Model 9 Hollowbody (H/H)

I'm going to be adding at least one fretless (Vigier? Agile? Godin?) and a 12 string to the collection down the road. One day, I may learn to use some kind of trem (Bigsby? FR? Wilkinson?), and I'll need to get one of those.

And then, of course, there is the "G.A.S." factor- those guitars you want just because you want them...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 20, 2009,
It's been said but wth.

Different pup configurations, different body woods, different bridges, different styles. If all you play is one genre then you may be fine with one guitar. But most people venture out after some time playing and have a need for a different set up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you have the cash to splash, why not? Also, I need different guitars for different tones and of course, tunings.
Multiple tunings, setups, string gauges, pickups, sounds, everything.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
There are several different kinds of pickups, different body, neck and fingerboard woods, tremolo or non-tremolo, scale length and a few other things that influence the way a guitar feels, plays and sounds.

Those are purely guitar-related reasons to have more than one.

Alternate tunings are a great reason to have multiple guitars, like many have already said.

I just bought my Buckshot and it has a different pickup setup than the Melody Maker, a thicker body of different wood, a different scale and a different fingerboard. They are very different and provide for a much wider palate of tones.
it kinda helps to have a backup in case something goes wrong w/ one of your guitars, so you can practice until you get your other one fixed, and you can tune one differently so as to covienence yourself more. but the only problem for me is, my dean ( my first guitar) sounds like crap almost all of the time, and im trying desperatly to get it to sound better, drop C works for this, while my epiphone les paul sounds and plays like a dream, its kinda weird, but you might find yourself playing favorites
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
1.Tones
2.You look cooler.
3.You feel cooler
4.You are cooler
5.It's addicting
6.Why not?
I think that if you're gonna have multiple guitars, each one should be unique and stand out on its own. Don't just get a fixed bridge version of a guitar you already own. You'll end up neglecting one guitar for the other. If you get another guitar, get one that sounds and looks different enough from your current one that you won't just use it as a backup or for different tunings.
I have one guitar with a floyd Rose and some humbuckers in it for my heavier music, while my Talman has Lipstick pickups and a cleaner, more single coil kind of sound. Great diversity, and they both look pretty different.

My Talmans also in drop-D
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I've got three guitars and find it is nice to pick up which ever once suits your mood or the music you want to play. Mine have 3 different types of picks (single coil, P90, humbuckers) and also have slightly different actions /setups.
*points to sig*
that's why i own 4
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Jaksar

But if I'm completely honest with myself, the reason I have 5 guitars is I'm a pathetic gear head and a horrible compulsive shopper who has no impulse control. No sooner have I bought a peice of gear that I start craving for the next.

It's an illness I tell ya.

This is exactly why. G.A.S Gear Aquisition Syndrome. Its worse than a Heroin addiction. After 3 guitars you are just fooling yourself by saying anything else.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Page 1 of 2