Page 1 of 2
I was reading about the different kinds of knowledge on a book.
I read something that caught my attention, the author Miguel Villoro Toranzo, says that there's multiple kinds of intelligence.
I immediately though that's B.S. Thought to my self "if ones intelligent, you're end of discussion".
But kind of left me a doubt.
So I went online and make a little research, I came to a page that talked of some guy with an I.Q. between 190 and 210 called Christopher Michael Langan ( http://onemansblog.com/2007/11/06/smartest-man-in-the-world-has-diarrhea-of-the-mouth/ ).
I read the page and saw the videos, I meditated on the information I've just read and listened to.
Made 6 different kinds on I.Q. test I found online with the numbers going from 46 to 152.
I know for a fact that I can't have an I.Q. of 46 and I'm pretty sure I'm not a supper genius to have 152.
I saw the videos again and came to the conclusion that I.Q. test are just ridiculous, there's this guy that claims to be the smartest guy in the world and talks pure non sense, ridiculously stupid "knowledge".
So what's your I.Q. and what do you think about it?
Member #? of theVIVA MEXICO CLUB

Beware of the Lawyer: the Dog is Harmless.
Intelligence is impossible to measure.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
I've taken one online and it said I have an IQ of either 118 or 128 (I don't remember which).

either way I don't think it was accurate
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
IQ isn't a definitive test of intelligence. It's more a measure of problem solving ability and your ability to adapt. People who learn thinks quickly tend to have higher IQs, but that doesn't mean they are intelligent
Hell, my IQ is supposedly 140 or something and Im failing 10th grade. It dosnt mean sh!t.
love is love // return to dust
Trying to measure IQ quantitatively is like trying to count the stars. The concept of an intelligence quotient is horrid.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Feb 20, 2009,
There are different kinds of intelligence, if you really want to call it intelligence. Grammar 'intelligence' is one you lack, for instance.
Some IQ test online (Facebook I think) told me mine was over 140, but I don't know what it's under...
Quote by Mudmen190
There are different kinds of intelligence, if you really want to call it intelligence. Grammar 'intelligence' is one you lack, for instance.

I'm sorry, English is nor my first nor my second language, I've just been studying for about 4 years, I do apologize.

Internet IQ quizes aren't anything like a real IQ assessment. Of course your results are all over the board and meaningless.

That said, I also agree that they're are multiple types of intelligence and that some of the simple "problem solving" skills they measure are rigidly based on culturaly constructed approaches to thinking.
Quote by darkstar2466
Trying to measure IQ quantitatively is like trying to count the stars. The concept of an intelligence quotient is horrid.

Ah, but the number of stars can be estimated
I got my IQ "professionally" graded and it was either 156 or 164 (one of those is mine the other is my sister's and I can't remember which one is mine... sadly). They're just numbers though, they don't really mean anything. I mean, I feel intelligent but no more than any person should.
intelligence, i feel, is subjective, sort of like what is "good." like that chris langan guy. he had the highest iq, but in his video, he said that his intelligence makes him closer to god. really? iq tests tend to judge classical intelligence, i.e., Physics, Literacy, etc., but it doesn't judge social competence or common sense. i feel that everyone has their strengths, and iq tests are bull****.
An IQ test can only be administered by a Clinical Psychologist. Any test you take online is complete bull****. Also, Intelligence is a measure of how you work out problems, and what you spatial capabilities are.
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Quote by \Powerslave/
Ah, but the number of stars can be estimated

With telescopes. You can't through a simple test or by plain counting by the naked eye.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The max I had, on 2 or 3 iq tests, is around 148 or 152, can't remember.

But yeah, intelligence is not measurable... and not logically estimable kinda.

Everyone thinks differently... a little example:

Someone could know all the music theory perfectly and stuff, but people who write music by ear can still be way better. I'm not saying that writing music without knowing any theory is better, the opposite is also possible.
The guy actually talks sense. Most people don't notice that.

I don't believe IQ measures intelligence, It measures the test takers ability to understand and reason.

That being said, I have an IQ of 151. It doesn't mean I'm more intelligent than everyone else but it does mean that I can understand and reason better than 99.99% of the population.
Quote by darkstar2466
With telescopes. You can't through a simple test or by plain counting by the naked eye.

Your point still remains, I was just making a witty remark

The IQ system and measurement itself is incredibly flawed, like most things.
yeah I wouldn't exactly go by IQ tests, but i mean if you score high on multiple ones I'm sure you must be a little sharp.
Sort of off topic... you guys see that program on discovery channel with the dude doing the crazy numbers in his head. like 80 to the power of 10 or somethin fuk'd like that. Numbers in the billion trillions... and when they were flashing the black dots on a big screen.. hundreds of them, varying each time and he'd basically nail each amount every time.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
IQ only measures a few types of intelligence.
For example it leaves out types of intelligence like the ability to make actions automatic quickly. For example it may take me 5 months to learn to drive in an automatic way that allows me to chat while doing it while it might only take you a month. In that respect you would be more intelligent than I am.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Slashrulz
I'm sorry, English is nor my first nor my second language, I've just been studying for about 4 years, I do apologize.

All is forgiven then.
Quote by AU79 XY
The guy actually talks sense. Most people don't notice that.

I don't believe IQ measures intelligence, It measures the test takers ability to understand and reason.

That being said, I have an IQ of 151. It doesn't mean I'm more intelligent than everyone else but it does mean that I can understand and reason better than 99.99% of the population.

Yeah it really looks like your making big bucks and driving a Mercedes, while you find life's problems a solution.

Over 9000!!!!!!
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
I think that the I.Q. tests that are found on the internet are rediculous. I tooka legitimate one a couple of weeks ago and it took maybe 3-4ish hours...just like anything, the more data the more accurate the conclusion. Also, they measure the capacity to learn not necessary intelligence as one person could be particularly gifted in an area such as music yet that may not show on a test.

Edit: Also legitimate tests usually give a summary showing the performance in each section, for example I recieved a 159 in the writing section and 151 in math but only a 110 in reading fluency and a similar score in the (ridiculous) oral direction following section.
Last edited by mwg5439 at Feb 20, 2009,
I don't really feel there's an effective way to measure intelligence. I don't think this guy is very intelligence. He KNOWS quite a bit, but he comprehends little on any additional level other than simple memorization and regurgitation..

EDIT: After watching two of these videos, I think that he uses his "intelligence" as an excuse to be incredibly lazy. I think he uses it as a rationalization for how little his done with his life, despite how odd that sounds.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Last edited by Firequacker at Feb 20, 2009,
I am a supper genius... I eat the shit so creatively.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
in 1st grade I had a professional assessment, and scored 130

idk if it's fluctuated since...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Wow, you only just realised that. According to the tests on the website for the International High IQ society, I got 127 in both, so it's safe bet to say it's that I think. The lowest I've gotten is 121 and the highest I've gotten is 133, so they're pretty even for me, but I have friends that are have brilliant minds and one's gotten 94 in one and in the low 140's in another, so it's pretty obvious you can't measure intelligence.
EDIT: After watching two of these videos, I think that he uses his "intelligence" as an excuse to be incredibly lazy. I think he uses it as a rationalization for how little his done with his life, despite how odd that sounds.

Totally agree with you there.
What he says is smart seams to me as pure dumbness.

i consistently score around 135 on IQ tests.

but they're internet tests so I'm pretty sure they're not meant to be taken seriously..

there was one test i took tho, where the amount of time you took factored in on what your IQ was.. if you blazed thru the test ticking random (and possibly correct answers) the results fluctuated like crazy..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I think it's BS. You can't measure intelligence with a test, there are just certain aspects that you can't reach and so many factors you don't have in there.

Also there are most definitely different intelligences. For example, somebody who is great at math and has no social skills is not more intelligent than someone who has tons of friends but struggles in math. They're both intelligent in different ways.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by fretsonfire74
Wow, you only just realised that. According to the tests on the website for the International High IQ society, I got 127 in both, so it's safe bet to say it's that I think. The lowest I've gotten is 121 and the highest I've gotten is 133, so they're pretty even for me, but I have friends that are have brilliant minds and one's gotten 94 in one and in the low 140's in another, so it's pretty obvious you can't measure intelligence.

Oh you can measure it. You just have to define what it is first. That's the problem.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by StreetLight3989
I think it's BS. You can't measure intelligence with a test, there are just certain aspects that you can't reach and so many factors you don't have in there.

Also there are most definitely different intelligences. For example, somebody who is great at math and has no social skills is not more intelligent than someone who has tons of friends but struggles in math. They're both intelligent in different ways.

I've always thought that, if you're really smart you can use your intelligence in order to accomplish anything you want.
For example that guy that is really smart could use his math talent but in people.
But not the other way around, let's say someone that's really popular but cannot think very well, cannot be intelligent in other areas (I guess I don't consider "popular" people smart).
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're really smart you should be able to use things and people to fulfill your wishes...

Last edited by Slashrulz at Feb 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 2