Page 1 of 3
A Les Paul to be exact. So I thought, why not document this task, on my most favorite website of all time. I'm in shop class in school for the next 4 months so I thought this would be my best opportunity to do something like this as I will have all the tools and machines I could ever need. The thought of building a neck scares me especially a fretboard having to get each fret distanced perfectly, so I'm going to be buying the neck. I don't have much so far but I might as well put some pictures in my first post.

Let us begin.

First I got a piece of maple for the top.

Then my plans came in the mail.

So I made a template and traced the pattern onto the maple.

I then found some mahogany for the back.

Which I planed a little bit so I could see the grain better and I glued the two pieces together.
looks good so far... keep pics posted!

Do you know what color you are going to paint it yet? Or what hardware?
Man, wine red and gold is probably my favourite Les Paul finish, I think it's dead sexy
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
That looks pretty complicated.. Good luck! My friend use to make miniatures of these and they were pretty good.
Good start, look foward to this

I wouldnt be too scared about necks though, you can buy pre slotted fretboard and then all you have to do is glue it to your neck blank.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well, i've got some updates for you guys. I ordered a neck on ebay a little over 2 weeks ago, and i've decided that for the rest of my life, i will try my best to not do business with the USPS. My dad bought my mom a gps for christmas and it got stolen (thank you USPS) and now my neck is nowhere to be found (thanks again USPS). But my dad was what he called "politely threatening" to the seller so the seller filed a claim. Good thing we got insurance on it.

But i have gotten some work done...

The mahogany is at the right thickness and i've cut out some of the electronics cavities.

and last week i got a bag of goodies in the mail...
Pleeeease stain this. methinks it's a waste to buy a maple cap and paint over it.
------

Shwiggity.
this was my dream first project, now my first project has been molested so bad i barely recognize it.

and..

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
That is sweet. I'm building a guitar in Shop class also! It's an Alexi with rounded wings. Looks better than it sounds.
:S whats the difference?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
The headstock is the Gibson scroll book. The image is clearly photoshopped, presumably to prevent them being sued by Gibson.
Quote by highvoltage66
look how it's shaped!

but i think i may have a problem. there's no place to screw in the bottom screw of the truss rod cover...

How is that a problem?

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Why it looks good like that.

EDIT: Wait nvm I understand, that middle screw will have to go through the truss rod cavity. But I think thats alright just get a longer screw.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Mar 5, 2009,
Just buy a new cover or build one.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
He could just cut it and drill 2 new holes on the sides.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Dude... get a longer screw, whats the problem? You need to take that cover off to adjust the truss rod anyway.

But I understand if you want it to be exactly how you want it to be, I can appreciate that mentality, but just go in with a plan.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Dude... get a longer screw, whats the problem? You need to take that cover off to adjust the truss rod anyway.

But I understand if you want it to be exactly how you want it to be, I can appreciate that mentality, but just go in with a plan.
The problem is: It won't cover the slot for the trussrod completely. Use your eyes, man. Imagine what happens when you put his cover over that slot. Even with the center "tit" jambed up against the nut, the edges of the slot will be exposed.

The only practical ways to correct that will be to make that end of the cover flat and drill new hole(s) or get a cover that is already flat on the end.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew keeps on stalking me xD

Just go in with a plan and make a smart decision. Usually life is a sequence of bad decisions followed by moderately to good decisions. So try and avoid the bad ones as much as possible.

For you, just send/take back the plate and get the flat bottom ones. Also, check out other styles of truss rod covers, you don't HAVE to use les paul styles, use a modern ibanez cover or a shecter cover, who knows you may like it!
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Well then you have two options, cut it or sell it on ebay for a dollar.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Like flamed or quilted maple

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
cut the top of the screw on the bottom and glue it to the cover with super glue, then just use one screw.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
cut the top of the screw on the bottom and glue it to the cover with super glue, then just use one screw.

....what?
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
i'd leave the truss rod hole uncovered or go out and get the proper cover for it.

better yet make you own out of some left-over scrap wood. that'd be an easy solution and another little added touch that will make it your own and somewhat unique.
Page 1 of 3