Alrighty UG,

I have a home studio but I'm looking to get more serious with recording so I'm gonna move it all into one place. I have two rooms in my house:
1) A small guest room (very small) with a bed, dry wall, carpeting, closet with a mirror on the door, and a window with curtains. Occasionally you can hear my family or my dog faintly from this room or
2) A verrry large, open concept basement with laminant flooring, several couches, a fireplace, two large tvs, several small windows, drywall, and some drywall pillars. This is also where my bands practice so I have my amps, guitars, drumset, p.a etc. down there. Its very quite (sound proof ceiling) and is also oviously a better place too chill.

I know neither of these are the greatest spots but any help would be great!
The big room without doubt.

Recording in small spaces is no fun for anyone and causes massive fights/disputes in most bands.

Trust me. I used to record in a reasonable size room. It was ok but everybody got massive cabin fever after about an hour or two.

Now I record most stuff in BIG church and my recordings improved hugely, the bands didn't go mad and kill each other.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Feb 21, 2009,
if possible... record the drums and bass in the small room, unless you have professional gear.. guitars could probably go either room.
acoustically - the smaller room will give you less error between where you have your settings on the amps and how similar you want it to sound on the recording.
AIM - JanesAdd1cti0n

The Rain And Snow

We've been reduced to ruin in this noncalibrated earth that has stumbled upon us.
the laminate floor in the bog room could give you some problems in terms of acoustics, but if you could get that area carpeted (or even just put in some big rugs) it would be the best place.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
big room. but take old egg cartons and tape them to the ceiling. honestly, that works.
but the small room does have its benefits, if your recording an acoustic jam-fest.

best way to test the acoustic quality of a room:
Take a mic, hang it in the middle of the room, 1 foot below the celling. Now take an acoustic guitar, and record yourself playing at each of the four walls. If you get over 50% normal volume as you normally would if you normally mic'ed up an acoustic at each of the 4 walls, then its in good shape, acoustically.
(and if you decide to go with the room with the windows, whenever you record, take a thick drop cloth and cover up the window. Having a window in a recording studio can really **** up sound quality.
Quote by Nevermind1299
the bathroom

+1

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
i would say the bigger one, Just go to your local Home Depot, and buy those foam blocks that lock together by tab things. Then place them on the ground and any axterior walls. These are also good for creating a small sound room if you want no ambience at all. You can also use them to build block forts
-definitely use the big room. since you have the space you can make it sound however you want. small rooms are bad for so many acoustic reasons, while big rooms dont have so many problems ( i.e. standing waves, early reflections etc) (in general) except for a high reverb time, which im sure is not a problem at all in a house basement (unless you live in Wayne Manor), especially if you are just a little smart about setting things up.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.