5 26%
MXR M-108 10-band EQ
3 16%
MXR M-108 and Digitech Bad Monkey
11 58%
Other (please state)
0 0%
Voters: 19.
Okay, whats up UG!!!!! I use a Mesa Boogie Mark III Red Stripe with a Marshall 1960A (hopefully a Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 soon), and I want to tighten my tone. Should I buy a Maxon OD808 and use it as a boost since my amp arleady has a GEQ, buy a MXR M-108 10-band GEQ to further shape my tone and use it for leads/cleans since my amp shares EQ for both channels, or get a MXR 10-band and a Digitech Bad monkey to do both, but sacrifice boost quality. I play Progressive Metal/Thrash Metal/Death Metal/Jazz Fusion/Neo-Classical, and a little bit of Blues and Classic Rock. Im selling my BR-600 with a 1 GB card and an adaptor for one of these options, so budget is probably at most $200. Thanks

TL;DR:
High Quality boost or
EQ pedal or
EQ pedal and low-mid quality boost for Prog
Get an overdrive, but there are probably better options out there than the Maxon.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Get an overdrive, but there are probably better options out there than the Maxon.

Like what, and why should I get the OD first.
Like you said - you already have a graphic EQ on your amp (5 bands right?). If so, then I don't see 10 bands being that much better, especially depending on the depth of the filters in your current EQ. An overdrive on the other hand will just tighten up your distortion sound which sounds like what you want to do.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Like you said - you already have a graphic EQ on your amp (5 bands right?). If so, then I don't see 10 bands being that much better, especially depending on the depth of the filters in your current EQ. An overdrive on the other hand will just tighten up your distortion sound which sounds like what you want to do.

Yeah, but I want seperate EQ for leads and cleans. Should I just get the Bad Monkey/MXR M-108????
Don't bump so early.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I wouldn't cheap out on overdrive when you already have a high-end amp. Just get the Maxon.
If you're just using the OD pedal to boost/tighten the sound then you don't really need a high quality pedal to do it. And the Bad Monkey's actually a really good pedal for doing it because it has alot of level on tap compared to other higher quality OD's.
So BM for sure.
I don't know if the EQ's going to help you much as you already have 5 bands.
Try it out at the store with a Mark, but you could just save your money if you want.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Stop bumping. This is a forum, not a chatroom.
Maxon OD808.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Horlicks
I wouldn't cheap out on overdrive when you already have a high-end amp. Just get the Maxon.

True dat!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
If you're not quite sure what you want, get the EQ and the Bad Monkey and you can figure it out from there.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
If you're only going to use the OD as a boost then get the bad monkey and 10 band.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
You could even get just the EQ and use that as your boost.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Maxon first, and if you really need additional EQ help down the line get the MXR.