Do any of you guys know good Acoustic Amps up to like $300 at the MAX.

I have my first show ever coming up and I want to get one because well, I've always wanted one and this is pushing me to get one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-T...83-i1145297.gc

That one looks good, good reviews and it can do what I need but I would like to ask around and see if anybody recommends anything before I jump on the first one I see.
i cant see the link.

but a lot of times a PA system is all you need to amp an acoustic.
they come in handy for many uses.

now if you just want an a/amp, cause that's all you do,

i own a chorus 60. very portable, very natural.

swr are heavy but considered the best.

and i think you're linking to an ibanez?
i've got an old one of those too.
are you planning on singing and playing thru the amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i wouldn't buy an acoustic amp i would just mic onto the house PA if they have one... if not your... well, effed... This is your first show i wouldnt spend any mass amount of money in preparation because after this you will know what you need...
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
I'm just playing my acoustic and have no idea how to link it into their PA system. My acoustic is Acousitc/Electric and my girlfriend is singing with her mic into the PA system, and maybe a second mic for me for backup vox.

I just don't know what I want to do, an Acoustic Amp seems to easiest way to go but I have no experience with this haha.
if you sing at a club, pub, bar, whatever, they almost all have a pa.

and you show up with a guitar and they plug you in.

if they dont. (you can call ahead) you can still buy a phonic pa system or similar and use that for vox and guitar.

if you dont want to, you can buy a swr or similar, but be warned, in lesser amps, if you plug into the second input for a mic, you'll cut the volume in half.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Easy, just take a 1/4" guitar cable and hook the baby into the house mixer at the venue. If available plug your guitar into a direct box. its pretty standard that most venues can provide one of these. This helps the actual sound a bit and it would look really goofy to plug into the mixer if its really far away from you lol. What sort of venue are you playing at? Coffee house, church, club, bar, something outdoors, a massive arena(j/k)? the first 2 are usually pretty well equipped for acoustic situations. I would avoid purchasing an acoustic amp until you have enough money for a top notch one, because if you're going to go for a low end one then you might as well just stick with going through the house PA
It's a small Coffee House, They said they have a PA system but it isn't the greatest (small town) and that their Mics sucked also haha. I'll try to go there soon and try to set our Mics and guitar up and see if it works, if it doesn't then I'll just get an acoustic amp to save my ass.
An acoustic amp will give him even better tone though.
It's just whether it's worth spending the money on when there's an alternate route.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
^ that's not always true. especially if he's looking at lower end acoustic amps.

i've got a $500 acoustic amp and it's pretty crisp.

but when i plug into house PAs, i always get complements on the tone.
it's easy. one thing to bring and that's it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^ that's not always true. especially if he's looking at lower end acoustic amps.

i've got a $500 acoustic amp and it's pretty crisp.

I suppose.
I would think acoustic amps are alot more subtle in tone coloration than electric amps though.
This thread makes me realize how little GG&A discusses acoustic amplifiers, I don't really know too much about them.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by jj1565

So are you implying to just bring the guitar and use PA only?

If I get one It would probably be this, but It's still 2 weeks away.
Like I said, I am going into the place and testing out the PA system and whatnot.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-AC-60-Acoustic-Chorus-Combo-Amp-102310836-i1145256.gc
yeah, ^i have the roland.

i also have an old ibanez troubador(sp) model they dont even make anymore.

and i've used house PAs and electric amps.

seriously.

it's one gig. i swear the house pa will probably be fine.

and most of these places have them. if you run out and spend $500 on an acoustic amp, which only has one purpose, you might regret it.

you can take that money and put it towards a $500 yamaha PA system for band practice.

or bring that pa system to the pub for better overall sound if also mic'ing vocals.

anyway. the roland is nice and only like 12lbs.
electric amps can be used if they have nice cleans.
and swr makes a hell of an acoustic amp for about the same price as the roland.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 23, 2009,
Alright question about PA systems.
Even if they don't have a direct box. Where the Mic plugs into, if there is another spot, can I just put the guitar straight into there?

and will it utilize the guitar pickup well?
Last edited by darkjak22 at Feb 24, 2009,
For $300 you may want to consider this

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620-Plus-S710-PA-Package?sku=630486

I get a ton of use out of mine and it's great for acoustic.

""Alright question about PA systems.
Even if they don't have a direct box. Where the Mic plugs into, if there is another spot, can I just put the guitar straight into there?

and will it utilize the guitar pickup well?""

It's 6 channel and will handle that many inputs. Mic, xlr 1/4, takes it all.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Feb 24, 2009,
That looks really cool. Where do you usually plug your acoustic into? I see a spot for 2 mics.
on this unit there are 2 channels that are instrument dedicated. My acoustic has an xlr which i use rather then the 1/4 jack. i plug into channel 3.. i asked the same questions you did about 3 years ago and a guy on another forum recommended this. This is probably the best $$$/value purchase i've made. This thing does so much more then i normally ask it to do. Not to mention when friends come over they have something to plug into without carrying all their own gear. makes life easier. the only other thing i have to compare it to however is a buddies fender acoustisonic (not sure which model) and it;s way better in tone then that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
on this unit there are 2 channels that are instrument dedicated. My acoustic has an xlr which i use rather then the 1/4 jack. i plug into channel 3.. i asked the same questions you did about 3 years ago and a guy on another forum recommended this. This is probably the best $$$/value purchase i've made. This thing does so much more then i normally ask it to do. Not to mention when friends come over they have something to plug into without carrying all their own gear. makes life easier. the only other thing i have to compare it to however is a buddies fender acoustisonic (not sure which model) and it;s way better in tone then that.

Dude thank you so much! I ordered one and can't wait to use it, It will do everything I need it to do (and yes my acoustic has a XLR spot, but I don't have a cable for that, I can easily pick one up.)
you're welcome, too?

a lot of times a PA system is all you need to amp an acoustic.
they come in handy for many uses.

just kidding. but that's exactly what i was hoping you'd go for.
good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62