SO im wondering about active pick ups how are they different then passives?How often do I need to change the batterys? Basicly I need to know about active pick ups in general.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Im not an expert or anything close, but think actives have a built in pre-amp which gives the pickup a higher output.... That is probably absolutely wrong, so wait until someone comes in who knows what there talking about.

But for batteries, i'd change em once every couple of months just to be safe.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
The batteries last something like 3000 hours, so you don't need to change them for quite a while. It's a 9v too. And I think above is correct about the preamp.
yea for a present for passing my Ged my grandfather bought me a Schecter C1 hellraiser FR and now im trying to figure out about active PUPs.
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Bump I want to know more!
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Much higher output than most passives.
EMGs in your Schecter?

I find them to have a lot of bite and attack, really suited to heavy distortion. (Great through rectifiers and other high-gain amps)

They need the battery's changing...well, not that often. Don't leave the guitar plugged in when you're not using it though, 'cos it'll drain the battery. Change them when you notice a drop in output and a muddier less defined sound.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Feb 21, 2009,
Yeah its EMGs.What amp do you suggest all I have atm is the peavy 158 rage.
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
That's a solid state, right?

They won't sound that great through it, but you can tweak out decent tone from it if you balance it right. It'll never sound as good as a tube amp though, which I'd recommend getting if you can afford it, with active pups.
yeah I could get a tube amp.Any models in general that you suggest?My limit would be around 400
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Last edited by Sicon at Feb 21, 2009,
I play mostly metal and my budget would be around 400
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Yeah, they're right, actives will only scream their fullest through a tube amp.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Used 5150/6505
Valveking
Blackheart w/ pedal

If I were you I'd actually save more and get something really nice like a JSX or something like that.Peavey will also be releasing an affordable version of the 6505 combo soon,so you may want to look into that.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by Sicon

For the price of the VK halfstack you could get a much nicer amp on the used market.Also,100 watt tube halfstacks are very loud,and are pretty much overkill unless your gigging and need that kind of volume.IMO a nice tube combo would be better.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

SO that valveking combo would work better.
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by Sicon
SO that valveking combo would work better.

I think if you're willing to save up the 900 for the VK halfstack you should save up for a 900 dollar combo.Like I said,there are a lot of nice tube amps in that price range,especially on the used market.If you got a naturally high gain tube amp and paired it with that Schecter then you'd get a very nice sound for the stuff you play.

My income isnt that great so thats why I first said 400 so yeah.I could save up tho.It would just take me longer.
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by Sicon
My income isnt that great so thats why I first said 400 so yeah.I could save up tho.It would just take me longer.

It would be worth saving up IMO.It'd be better to be patient and get an amp that you can use for the rest of your life instead of "jumping the gun" and getting an amp that you may end up having issues with later on.

I guess Ill save up 900 now I got to figure out which amp to get now lol
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by Sicon
I guess Ill save up 900 now I got to figure out which amp to get now lol

What genres do you play and what kind of features are you looking for?

I mostly play metal like slayer and Metallica, IronMaiden,SlipKnot stuff like that.I really dont know much about tube amps All Iv ever had is that Peavy 158 Rage
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by Sicon
I mostly play metal like slayer and Metallica, IronMaiden,SlipKnot stuff like that.I really dont know much about tube amps All Iv ever had is that Peavy 158 Rage

I'd go with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-JSX-Combo-212-Joe-Satriani-model-minty-new_W0QQitemZ220365077438QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have one and it can do anything from pure cleans to progressive death metal,so it would cover all of your bases.The only down side is it weighs a ton,something close to 90 pounds,but it's a great sounding and very versatile amp.They're often on the used market for 800-1000 so I'm sure you can find one when you have the cash saved up.