Ok so i don't know if this is the right place to go for drum questions, but i'm gonna give it a try.
i'm looking at buying an electric drum kit to use in my basement for me to just jam out on for now, maybe i'll record or something in the future, but i just need something to jam on for now. i'd probably be able to spend anywhere up to $1000, but preferrably under $800 would be awewsome.
i'm just so clueless as to what a 'good' brand of electric drums would be, so if there's anyone out there in forum-land who could give me a hand, that would be awesome.
may i ask why you dont want a REAL drum kit?
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
OH my bad
its gonna be in my house, and i want to be able to control the volume.
im not much of a rebel, i don't want my parents to be complaining about the noise of a real kit.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
may i ask why you dont want a REAL drum kit?

this

IMO, electric kits aren't that great, you don't really get a feel for the real instrument and are hella smaller
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
why not just get acoustic drums for that price? besides you said basement so sound wont leak too much.
yeah, but i'd have to soundproof and all that. i know my fam would have a problem with me getting an acoustic, so i'm gonna go electric.
and i know they don't have the same feel, i've had experience on both acoustic and electric kits in the past, its just a sacrifice i'm going to have to make.
I've seen this but i'm not sure how good it may be. I'm looking into buying one of those so that i can learn to play drums. And... that's one of the reasons why someone would pick an electric set over a regular one. Also, i live in a small apartment and don't like being loud.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Feb 21, 2009,
I agree roland Vs are great my friend has some... I like real kits myself but if i went electric I'd go roland
electric kits are for retired old farts who are looking for a new hobby
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by farm_boy
ahahaha thanks strato-massacre.
a little off tho, seeing as i'm 18....

get a real kit. theyre less hassel. they sound better. they look better. theyre just cooler.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by Zoot Allures
He's already stated that he wants to be able to control the volume though.

pads then? i mean, an electric kit is alot of extra dollars just to dial in an exact volume and change the sound to stupid sh*t you'll more than likely never use. not to mention the wires and everything youll also have to buy for it.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
hey man, i'm asking for a recommendation for a kit
i know i want an electric one, and you're not going to change that.
so if you don't have a recommendation, then you don't have to give your input...
Go and try one out at your local music store?
If you think the people there know anything ask them.
an electric kit would also be easier to record stuff onto your computer too i suppose. You can go direct midi into the pc or interface or whatever you have running. Plus you'd have a whole bunch of programmable effects you can mess with if you're into that stuff.

IMO better value than getting a cheaper acoustic kit and spending the extras on decent mics and stuff. Also, electric kits are cheaper to maintain (don't have to buy new skins as often and sticks usually last for longer).

On the other hand, if you want to play in a band or live, acoustic kits are much better i reckon.
yamaha dtxpress III.
fun stuff
not too expensive nowadays.
i own one, its a blast playing with.
most people wont realize this but the monitors you get for it are extremely vital.
headphones sound like complet crap..(crash is too loud, bass drum is clicky) mind you everthing is programmable.
so if you're wondering why it doesnt sound good, its the speakers.
theres a HUGE difference in sound. in my experience running it throught a mixer sounds best. What i would suggest is just to get a brain(module) and then build yoour own to your liking. try to have alot of inputs, although the standard now is 9 (bass, hihat, hi hat pedal, snare, tom, tom, tom, crash, ride. the DTXpress III only offers that plus one additional pad of what everyou want. although i would like to have more, what it offers is completley satisfactory and if your just jammin around, this is the kit for the money. try and go a steup up if your a little more serious
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
yamaha dtxpress as mentioned or the new ROland TD4/something. Electric drum sets can be really nice, about size, I'd say it all depends on what set you're getting I've seen some "large" electric kits.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
My advice is not to get one..
An electric drum kit has a different feel to an acoustic one..
Great for practising at home, but might have some trouble performing on acoustics outside of home
I'm pretty sure the sticks bounces off the kit more compared to an acoustic one..