I wanna know the difference between a 1x12 and 2x12 volume wise.

2x12s and 4x12s are pretty much the same as far a volume and presence.

but how about 1x12 cabs?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
It's mainly a matter of perceived volume, I believe.

That being said, a 1x12 won't sound as "big" or "full" as a larger cab, but still has it's uses (lower powered amps, recording, if you like having an extra speaker around for tonal versatility, etc. etc.)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
this is an interesting question with many subtleties... rooted in physics... i am gonna give a reductionist idealistic response, but this is in no way entirely accurate- the physical universe just isnt ideal in its applications... lets assume they are both closed back for simplicity... lets also assume they are both the same impedence- well just say 8 ohms... and lets assume they are the same speakers in the same room which magically have exactly the same specs in an ideal setting... there is a factor of the sonic footprint due to the fact that there is one speaker versus two... but assuming the speakers of the 2x12 are in phase, the 1x12 doesnt move as much as much air as two, YET the wattage of the amp seeing the same load would put out the same volume... tonally there would be less, hmm... presence, thump, knock, etc... the smallest difference the human ear can typically perceive has come to be labeled as 1 decible(db)... db diff=10 log (power 1/power 2)... see, if the amp power doesnt change, then the db doesnt change, which means the volume doesnt change... kinda weird- but the universe is full of em, try reading about eulers number sometime... i think you are probably getting at sound pressure level(spl) instead of volume... try this url:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=284180
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/amppower.htm

try hitting up wikipedia on spl... its 3:21 in the morn and i dont care anymore... if this doesnt make sense, im tired and dyslexic to boot... whatever... good luck...
master the beginner's mind
i like 1x12 cabs for quieter recording. they fit nicely into deep freezers which have been converted into isolation chambers.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
No, don't start this again, it's 3 db difference, which is barely noticeable.
Read the sig.

No, its not a 3dB difference, 3dB is relatively noticeable, and the main sound difference between types of cabs is the natural chorus effect produced by multiple speakers, and the lower resonant frequency (more low end) of larger cabs.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
No, its not a 3dB difference, 3dB is relatively noticeable, and the main sound difference between types of cabs is the natural chorus effect produced by multiple speakers, and the lower resonant frequency (more low end) of larger cabs.

....all of this si so fregin relative to amp and ear.

i have a 120watt tube Peavery 212 sitting next to a 40watt tube 112 fender. the fender is much louder (how do i kno? the sound goes a longer distance) and it has MUCH more bass than the Peavey.

also i really have no clue what your talking about with this "natural" chorus stuff. i have never heard anything like that and i own two 212 amps.

in the end, 212 makes more noise for gigging and is heavier. 112 makes less noise and is smaller. if you gig, get a 212 or a 112 and mic it. if you sit at home, get a 112 for simplicity.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional