I'm the guitarist/singer (1 of 2 actually) in my band. We want to play shows at halls and at parties but one problem we have is networking. We pretty much started the band on our own, but don't really know any other bands. What do you guys suggest we do? maybe attend local shows of the same style and try to be friends? or like rely on technology and myspace some bands around us?
technology is great for getting into contact with people, just go to some shows and get in with the people i guess
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
steps

1. make material
2. record
3. Myspace, Facebook, here
4. Become friends with anyone (bands, people you know, people you don't know)
5. Gigs will come, if you do 1,2, and 4 properly.
yeah, hes right. myspace is the way to do it.

my band is known by all bands around the area, and maybr further. how we did it, is by at first, we entered the battle of the bands and junk. and with them, your name gets thrown around alot, cause your important to them, since your competition. then at the gigs, since your all in the same comp, you just go up, and talk to the bands about it, like "gee, theese guys are good, who you recons gonna win?" or "hey, great set you guys just played, were up next, hows the foldback?" and youll get to know everyone from a whole lotta different bands.

then hit em up on their myspace. send mesages "great gig last night, was great talking to yous. if you ever have a gig we'd be interested in to play, just hit us up, thatd be awesome, would love to share the stage with you guys again someday"

and then, bingo, you got yourself some networking progress. also, bands like it when you top friend them, and sometimes theyll top friend you, resulting in more hits for you both, but also, a sort of gig aliance, where yous let each other know, of shows that are available to play.

so yeah, myspace ftw
The internet is a powerful tools these days.

Another good way we found was to have some promo shots that look semi-professional and get some leaflets printing with your band name, photo and contact (URL and telephone number).

Then at gigs hand them out to people, if they drop them, pick them up and give them back, this will drill into peoples heads that they can drop your leaflets as many times as they want, but your always giving them them back, this makes them feel like you need them which is always a good thing
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
yeah, hes right. myspace is the way to do it.

my band is known by all bands around the area, and maybr further. how we did it, is by at first, we entered the battle of the bands and junk. and with them, your name gets thrown around alot, cause your important to them, since your competition. then at the gigs, since your all in the same comp, you just go up, and talk to the bands about it, like "gee, theese guys are good, who you recons gonna win?" or "hey, great set you guys just played, were up next, hows the foldback?" and youll get to know everyone from a whole lotta different bands.

then hit em up on their myspace. send mesages "great gig last night, was great talking to yous. if you ever have a gig we'd be interested in to play, just hit us up, thatd be awesome, would love to share the stage with you guys again someday"

and then, bingo, you got yourself some networking progress. also, bands like it when you top friend them, and sometimes theyll top friend you, resulting in more hits for you both, but also, a sort of gig aliance, where yous let each other know, of shows that are available to play.

so yeah, myspace ftw

God your English is horrible.

Basically, this guy is right. This is how my drummer and I got our 1st gig, by making friends with anyone we meet, especially other musicians. Talk to people, even if it's for a few minutes and if there's an opportunity to play a gig, jump on it, no matter how small or big it is. Exposure is far more important than getting paid at a gig.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Helloween_rox
God your English is horrible.

its not usually that bad. i just read over what i wrote, and yes, it does seem pretty bad. thanks for agreeing with me on the topic, but apologies for the poor english.