I have been reading a few threads in here and people's explanations on how to slant the pick has confused me. How I have been slanting it is on a downstroke the side of the pick that hits first is closer to the neck, and upstroke the side of the pick that hits first is closer to the bridge.

Is this correct?
I don't slant it either way, just keep it straight
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Quote by Don Rickles
pointy end towards the strings.

icwutududthar. But keep it to the pit, yeah?

TS: There is no right way at all but you might find that the different slants have a very slightly different tone so that's something to think about when choosing which one...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I like Paul Gilbert's explanation of this...although he does have a distinct tone because of it.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
I like Paul Gilbert's explanation of this...although he does have a distinct tone because of it.

Also Marty Friedman
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
it feels like theres tons less resistence when i pick with fleshy parts of BOTH thumb and index
instead
of the side of the index and flesh part of thumb

and ive been playing the second option for a while what gives?! is there a way to make my way (side of index with flesh part of thumb.) FEEL like the opposite angling?
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
Use the angle that is most comfortable and with the least amount of pick "scratchy like" sound. (don't confuse with pick attack sound in general, there's a difference).

At slow runs it might not be completely noticeable, but at higher speed runs, the scratchy like sound can muddy up the ur entire lick/sound, and will sound sloppy and sometimes even blurs ur picking dynamics.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by Don Rickles
pointy end towards the strings.

you fail, eric johnson and others use the round part of their pick not the pointy end.

Ts as many have said above it's mostly about preference if i'm doing some kind of slow melodic lead line i might use the rounded edge of the pick and angle it slightly so there is very little pick attack, and for other more aggressive playing i might use the pointed end and keep the pick more parellel to the strings, just experiment until you find something you like there is no real right and wrong here