I'm a little confused, i've seen little books that have thousands of chords in, but i just can't seem to think how to create that many.
So theres barre chords,powerchords, and regular chords right? surely that can't constitute over a thousand chords can it?
Or am i missing somthing?
Pretty much it's only power chords (also barre chords) and open chords. What you're looking at in those books are different types of chords such as major, minor, 7th, augmented, suspended, diminished, and many more plus different positions and inversions for them. Honestly, those books are a bit pointless. Read up some of the lessons on theory and chord construction and you'll be able to create your own chords.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Thanks guys, and evening crow, just looking up chord construction theory right now.
thanks to you all on the speedy reply
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Thanks guys, and evening crow, just looking up chord construction theory right now.
thanks to you all on the speedy reply

No problemo sir.

May i add: become familiar with the major scale! That's the most important thing in theory as pretty much everything revolves around it. Once knowing that, check this. Good luck!
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Honestly, those books are a bit pointless. Read up some of the lessons on theory and chord construction and you'll be able to create your own chords.

That said, without a reference of some sort (or a teacher), said chord books can be extremely useful when it comes to working out whether you've constructed the desired chord correctly. Still wouldn't buy one personally though, as all that gubbins is out there on the net for free anyway.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
All chords start with a triad. It's a very basic chord with 3 notes that defines a chord, the root, the 3rd, and the 5th.

You add notes to the triad to make it fuller like adding another 3th, 5th, octave or to shape it like adding the 7th, 9th, so on.

There's only 4 types of chords and that's major, minor, augmented, and diminished.

Then there's inversions which means the notes other than the root is in the bass (lowest note).

Power chords does not have the 3rd in them so they can't be defined as major or minor chord.

Chord construction is really easy, you just stack the 3rds in the scale you'working with. Doesn't matter what scales you're using because you can create chords out of those scales and they'll work.

That's why we have over 4000 chords.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
theres probarbly a way to work this out

say your guitar has 21 frets

21 frets x 6 strings = 126 possible note fingerings

a chord is 2 different notes played at one time at least

so really there is a ridiculous amount of chords

but you dont need to know them all

just learn the Barre version of Major, Minor, Sus2, Sus4, Maj7, Min7 etc....

and then its easier, alot easier than learning all the open chords imo

just need knowledge of the fretboard and strong fingers
The barre chords is no different than the open chords. The barre serves as the nut. As you go up the neck you move the nut with it in a sense.

It takes three notes to make a chord, two notes make a double stop.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I've just realised, on some chords i ocasionaly add like a 5th or somthing, i just didnt realise it could be applied as a rule. Thanks people, sweet.
Quote by dancelasvegas
2 notes make 5th chords

A5 = A & E

No, the root and the fifth make up 5th intervals (or double stops). If you took A and added C that wouldn't be a 5th chord. Chords are based on triads and tri is 3.
Quote by dancelasvegas
2 notes make 5th chords

A5 = A & E

Yea, I got it. Power chord.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
you have to learn every last one of them,then eat the chordbook.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700