Today I went to a music shop about 30-40 minutes away from here, I've been thinking about getting a new guitar for a long time but I'm not still sure about what guitar I should save up to, the choice is pretty much between an "Ibanez Prestige" or a "Jackson SL3", I've tried out the Ibanez prestige series, but I've only tried out a "Jackson Dinky model", they didn't have the SL3 in stock, I wasn't completely fond of either of the necks, the Jackson felt a little better but it was abit too flat for my liking.

So my question is, has the "Soloist" series got more rounded, thinner/thicker neck than a Dinky?

Feel free to suggest any other guitars too, my budget is 1000-1200 €/$, I would like to keep it at the 1000 range though. Floyd Rose is preferred but not needed, no EMG pickups please, I don't play brutal metal, I play mainly Rock/Metal.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Feb 21, 2009,
ibanez jem? dunno exactly what the price of that is, but i've heard it's meant to be pretty good...
Me personally? I'd go for the Ibanez Prestige. I like Jacksons and all that, but the prestige's Ive played in the past were awesome. But thats just me.
Quote by Dempsey68
ibanez jem? dunno exactly what the price of that is, but i've heard it's meant to be pretty good...

Aren'y they like 2300 €/$? There's a budget one that fits my budget, but it's got an Edge III tremolo.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by tweeb
Aren'y they like 2300 €/$? There's a budget one that fits my budget, but it's got an Edge III tremolo.

A JEM with an edge 3 isn't a real JEM. But you can get an RG prestige. Those should be in your pricerange, and it's pretty much the same thing as a JEM. Or you can try an S. I'm personally not a fan of the S but they're good.
Quote by JELIFISH19
A JEM with an edge 3 isn't a real JEM. But you can get an RG prestige. Those should be in your pricerange, and it's pretty much the same thing as a JEM. Or you can try an S. I'm personally not a fan of the S but they're good.

Yep, I've tried out the Rg versions of the prestige series, the neck is almost to thin for me though, though the reason is propably that I'm playing Epiphone necks and classical guitar necks, I can't say the necks were uncomfartable but they were thin.

I still have to try the S prestige series you alredy mentioned, and If possible the SL3 and the SLS3, and if possible maybe some Schecter guitars and the LTD deluxe series.

Anyone have any experience of the Jackson Sl3/ SLS3 necks, how are they compared to a Jackson Dinky neck?
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I almost bought an SL3, having never played one =/ i've heard they're incredible guitars, but i can't really speak for the neck.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Quote by naedman
I almost bought an SL3, having never played one =/ i've heard they're incredible guitars, but i can't really speak for the neck.

Well I'm also so close to order one too, but I just can't order it from the store without having properly played it before, I need to think about this still, though I've got about 5 months to think about it, I'll have enough money for a new guitar by then.

Still open for suggestions though, and opinions on the SL3 or any other guitar.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
try some higher-end schecters. they all have thicker, chunkier necks. the higher end ones usually have an OFR, duncans or EMGs, and grover tuners so the hardware is all really good. and their MOST expensive guitar is only like 1000 USD. dunno what that is in euros but not more than 1200.

EDIT: 1000 USD is only 779 euros, so all scheters are in your price range
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Last edited by f22master at Feb 21, 2009,
The necks on SL3 models are: 3rd Fret: .790", 12th Fret: .850"

as opposed to: 1st Fret: .735", 12th Fret: .810" on a standard DK2 dinky.

So basically SL3's have slightly larger necks but you would most likely not be able to tell a difference.
Quote by f22master
try some higher-end schecters. they all have thicker, chunkier necks. the higher end ones usually have an OFR, duncans or EMGs, and grover tuners so the hardware is all really good. and their MOST expensive guitar is only like 1000 USD. dunno what that is in euros but not more than 1200.

EDIT: 1000 USD is only 779 euros, so all scheters are in your price range

Yeah I still need to try out some Schecters, the only setback is that the closest store that stocks Schecters is about 2-3 hours away from here, but the store stock Jackson guitars too, hopefully I can also find a Sl3 to try out
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
wow, that far away?

a good idea before going there would be to look up some schecters online a get a feel for which ones you might be interested in. you know, which body looks the best, which one looks like it has the best hardware, etc... and then call them up before you go there and see if they have the ones you were looking for(also ask about the sl3!). that way you dont drive 3 hours just to find out they sold the last one yesterday
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
wow, that far away?

a good idea before going there would be to look up some schecters online a get a feel for which ones you might be interested in. you know, which body looks the best, which one looks like it has the best hardware, etc... and then call them up before you go there and see if they have the ones you were looking for(also ask about the sl3!). that way you dont drive 3 hours just to find out they sold the last one yesterday

Looks like their Schecter stock is smaller than before, judging by their website, last year they had C-1 Blackjack ATX's and C-1 Classics too, and it looks like I have to call them if I want to know what Jacksons they stock.

Anyway the guy from the store I visited yesterday is gonna call me tomorrow and inform me if he can stock the Sl3, if he can stock without having me to order it, I'll propably have a possibility to try it before I make up my mind.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah