im thinking of buying one of those build your own guitar kits (the ones where you get everything, just not assembled) im only an ameature guitarist so is this a good idea.
Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls of your bedroom?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it.
Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist

^

toothpaste and toast...not good
hmmm i really dont think you should get them custom kits.... if you're jus startin out stick with a budget guitar and then go for a custom.
Its a good intro in to the ins and outs of a guitar, how they are assembled etc but they are also pretty basic, you wont learn much building related from assembling a kit, and they also come with pretty crappy parts, the neck is usually its biggest downfall for some reason.

If you get one I'de go with a carvin one, I've heard the best things about them.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I wouldn't get one... You don't really do or learn anything, because all you're doing is putting it together.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
sorry, I didn't put my point across well did I. I will be buying the basic kit for the things like that body and the neck, then getting better parts to build into it.

and what's wrong with my grammar?

oh and yash, i have 2 guitars already, this is just a project
Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by the_perdestrian

^

Last edited by Reedy180 at Feb 22, 2009,
If you really want to get into building guitars you should start by refinishing one of your older guitars.

Shave it down, repaint it, change the neck change the tuners, rewire the pickups etc etc. Learn the basics.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
it will teach you about intonation and action, pickup hight, et cetera

go for it

carvin
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
If you think you will have any interest in building guitars it is probably a great place to start. Best of luck.
Dude buying a kit is not a build. For the Last time if you call it a build in this Fourum then it better have at least one thing that you built such as the body the neck the pickgaurd althought n the pickgaurd you should just say pickgaurd build. Anyways building can be fun if you have the right tools and if you have enought wook working skill as is needed.

Hey who here watched the last Late Night with Conan O'brein? Anyone? And if so then do you think him on the tonight show will be just as good.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
well, if you have no experiance whatsoever with building a kit would be a good first step. nothing's worse then wasting 200$ on a mahogany body and screwing something up. if you find the build too easy, sell the guitar and recoup your costs, then try something harder.

necks, IMO, are the hardest to build. so if you've never made anything from scratch, start with the body and the pickguard, then move up to pickups, then move up no making necks when you're ready.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
You know, I'm very intrested in becoming a luthier. I'd like to do something simple like that too. The other guy is right, go with a carvin. You can get necks that just need to be fretted and the headstock is unshapen. You can even get body blanks cheap and learn to shape then youself. It would be good practice even if its not the best guitar ever. I would avoid warmoth untill your ready to go for it 100% but you can have them put together or not put together any part you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself. I wish I had the tools or made more money ... wood working would be a very nice hobby to get into.
instead of buying a kit, take your guitar apart, and put it back together, you learn the same things as a kit gutiar, but without paying for it
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Absent Mind
Its a good intro in to the ins and outs of a guitar, how they are assembled etc but they are also pretty basic, you wont learn much building related from assembling a kit, and they also come with pretty crappy parts, the neck is usually its biggest downfall for some reason.

If you get one I'de go with a carvin one, I've heard the best things about them.

Depends on the kit though, Carvin's kits are pretty nice.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT GET A SAGA GUITAR KIT

I REPEAT DO NOT GET A SAGA GUITAR KIT

I got one, I tried it, EVERYTHING was out of wack, it took some serious re-wiring to get the pick ups to sound nice, I got lucky the neck wasn't too bad, but do not get a saga kit.
Quote by Unherolike
Hey who here watched the last Late Night with Conan O'brein? Anyone? And if so then do you think him on the tonight show will be just as good.

I watched the White Stripes on Youtube off his show. I think he'll be as good as Jay, but in all the different ways.

/offtopic
Given that you are in the UK I'd get one of the kits from http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk The metal hardware and electronics stuck donky balls so most of that will need to be replaced but the original kit is under 100 quid to begin with so replacing a few parts shouldn't be the end of the world.

I've gotten 1 kit from him so far and I'm getting 5 more so that I can get a collection of cheap but nice guitars to take on the road with me while I promote my pickups. Let him know that chris from rockmonkeyguitars sent you and he will probably look out for extra nice necks and bodies for you.

Don't get one of his basswood guitars, get the ash or mahogany ones.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by metalwarrior40
instead of buying a kit, take your guitar apart, and put it back together, you learn the same things as a kit gutiar, but without paying for it

why did i never think of that?
that is all awesome advice guys. and i suppose i could take apart my crappy Danelectro pro lookalike. i wouldn't dare take apart my SG. yep, im gonna take apart my dano pro....know...where did i put my screwdrivers...
Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by the_perdestrian

^

i havnt checked the site in ages and ive got more replies than i thought i would
Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by the_perdestrian

^

typical, i can never find a screwdriver when i need one. but i think ive got enough info to do what i need to do know. minus a screwdriver.so thanks everyone for your advice
Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by the_perdestrian

^

Last edited by Reedy180 at Apr 7, 2009,