first off hi everyone, before my question let me just say that I'm a total noob .....let the flames begin,,,lol
anyways what makes a fender strat any better then any other stat available out there? i see them going for big time money on some of these but why is that,is it just a name?maybe there pickups are far superior to others? are there any other companies out there that makes a comparable strat that's better?I'm currently learning on a strat but its just a cheap peavey one.....I'm by no mean dissing any of you who own them , i drool i the thought of having a fender of my own someday.....any tidbits you guys can shed on this would be nice ..............
Nothing really , the name has it's price i suppose
but if it lot off expeciver maybe its the pickups
are they hum buckers or single coild ?
Humbukers look like 2 singles together
It depends what your playing a fender strat would be better for blues and country. but i would recomend it for metal/ shred we have jackson soloist's for that
everything about them is superior.

the woods tonal qualitys

the pick ups

the real expensive ones are often built by a single person ( a luthier)

and fender is the original... any other strat is just a copy.

seriously, they are worth every penny, and one day i hope to own hundreds haha
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
so all in all its like a rolex vs timex they both tell time
The wood, pickups, finish.
And oh, the fender necks feel so so good!
I got a MIM Fender Strat, 2001 used off of Craigslist for $120, so if you look around you should be able to find a good deal on a used one. MIMs are $400 new, so that's not too bad either..
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Fender does not necessarily make the best strats - some of them are up there with the best, but those are ridiculously expensive. There's a lot of companies that make strat copies which tend to be better than even the best Fenders produced nowadays - Suhr and Anderson are the most famous I guess, but they are very expensive. There's a lot of luthiers that make strats, you can probably find dozens in your country. Especially outside of the US, a custom ordered strat from the luthier of your choice is usually better value than a Fender (import taxes and shipping cost make US instruments pricey outside of the US). Not to mention that it often is a better instrument all in all.

When talking about low-end vs high-end strats, the more expensive ones tend to have better hardware, electronics, tonewoods and have been put together more carefully, making them the better guitars (that's a rule of thumb, there always are exceptions).

Fender doesn't have a magical strat recipe that makes them build the best strats in the world. A strat is just a guitar, and being a very simple one, building it is not exactly a difficult job for a luthier. This is comming from the owner of a Fender by the way.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 21, 2009,
Technically Fenders are the ONLY strat, all the others are strat-types. Fender created the design and the name is trademarked, and they just happen to be very well made and good value. Obviously there's a certain mojo attached to the name itself, if you really want a Strat then you HAVE to buy a fender because anything else is just a copy.

However, whilst Fender are the only company allowed to make Stratocasters they don't necessarily make the best strat type guitars. "Best" is kind of relative anyway, but like Quailman said those high end companies make amazing guitars, and a private luthier could make you something "better" than a strat, but it wouldn't really be a strat any more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
wow guys this is a lot more then i expected for a response ....well explained and now things are so clear thankz ..........this place has been amazing from the second i found this site,now if only i could learn to play in warp speed.................
Quote by TheQuailman
Fender does not necessarily make the best strats - some of them are up there with the best, but those are ridiculously expensive. There's a lot of companies that make strat copies which tend to be better than even the best Fenders produced nowadays - Suhr and Anderson are the most famous I guess, but they are very expensive. There's a lot of luthiers that make strats, you can probably find dozens in your country. Especially outside of the US, a custom ordered strat from the luthier of your choice is usually better value than a Fender (import taxes and shipping cost make US instruments pricey outside of the US). Not to mention that it often is a better instrument all in all.

When talking about low-end vs high-end strats, the more expensive ones tend to have better hardware, electronics, tonewoods and have been put together more carefully, making them the better guitars (that's a rule of thumb, there always are exceptions).

Fender doesn't have a magical strat recipe that makes them build the best strats in the world. A strat is just a guitar, and being a very simple one, building it is not exactly a difficult job for a luthier. This is comming from the owner of a Fender by the way.

+1, except i don't have a fender.

Quote by steven seagull
Technically Fenders are the ONLY strat, all the others are strat-types. Fender created the design and the name is trademarked, and they just happen to be very well made and good value. Obviously there's a certain mojo attached to the name itself, if you really want a Strat then you HAVE to buy a fender because anything else is just a copy.

However, whilst Fender are the only company allowed to make Stratocasters they don't necessarily make the best strat type guitars. "Best" is kind of relative anyway, but like Quailman said those high end companies make amazing guitars, and a private luthier could make you something "better" than a strat, but it wouldn't really be a strat any more.

also +1

Quote by sdc035
so all in all its like a rolex vs timex they both tell time

i wouldn't go that far... if you don't know what you're doing, rolex (or fender) would be the safe option- you probably won't go far wrong (though watch out for fakes!), but you probably aren't getting the best value for money either. there's probably some lesser known company making watches which destroy rolexes (i don't know anything about watches)- it's the same with guitars. but there are also companies making cheap crap, and you want to avoid those.

EDIT: thanks for the sig, mark
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 21, 2009,
All non-Fender Strats are copies of the Fender Strat. It's extremely popular - that's why everyone makes copies of it.

Fender is the original Stratocaster, and the only one that bears the Stratocaster name, apart of course from the Squier series (Fender's budget brand)

Fender = the original and best!
Other name = copy, and probably worse.
Last edited by EJD at Feb 21, 2009,
Fender is the only brand allowed to make Stratocasters. The rest are just strats. They are original and are the most known. Strat copies usually feel cheap.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
ugh, i can't stand these blanket "fenders are probably best" statements. the cheapo $100 copies, then yeah, i'd agree. However, japanese copies (tokai, bacchus, navigator) are easily the equal of fenders, if not far better (i have a tokai st-80, at least i think that's the model, and it's the equal of Fender's US reissues- I'd wager it'd give the custom shop ones a run for their money too)... those navigator copies are the guts of 400,000 yen (at current exchange rates that's probably about £3500. are you seriously suggesting they're inferior to an MIM Fender? o_O) Not even all Fenders are equal, there's a hell of a difference between an MIM standard and a US reissue...

actually, the fenders i like best are the Japanese-made non-export ones (in terms of bang for buck)... those are made in the tokai factory currently, as far as i'm aware. do they count as copies?

and that's before you even consider custom builds, or brands like suhr, tyler, tom anderson, etc. etc.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?