I've had my current one for about 8 years now... there's nothing really wrong with it, but I could do with a longer one, and not sure how long this one will keep goin for anyway...

Is there REALLY anything that makes one cable stand out from the others? What's the difference between the pricier ones?
wow,8 years, my max is like...2 months...still i don't think it makes a real difference which one you buy...
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I wonder the same things some days. I have a few cables, and I really dont notice a difference in tone, or sound. But I will say that my Monster cable is durable as hell. But for the guitars, I like anything with the Right angle corner. I play an LP, and the cable sticking out kinda gets to me, but I know that's just a looks thing. Im sure that there is something to the quality, either in sound, or shelf life. But ulimately, go with what makes you comfortable. You want new cables, go out and get some. If your happy, stick with it. The best Guitarist I know has a cable from the 1970's, he got it from his old man, it glows in the dark. (or at least it used too). Its fine, so what does that tell ya? I'd say get what makes you feel good.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Cables are essentially made the same way, the only difference being quality. A good cable will be durable, use oxide-free copper to ensure maximum conductivity, have the lowest possible resistance and capacitance, and be well shielded to prevent interference.

There are some ridiculously priced "studio quality cables", although you can get some good cables for far less. I recommend Planet Waves.
one word- Mogami.
Thats all you need to know.
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
You've been playing 8 years and you're still asking advice on what type of cable to get?Wow. Sorry if I sound like a dick but wow.
I hate Mogami. Planet Waves or Monster. Both quite expensive, but with warranties.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Quote by MoonBoots432
I hate Mogami. Planet Waves or Monster. Both quite expensive, but with warranties.

no...
i have had a monster cable with the unlimited warranty and it ****ed up every two weeks or so and i had to exchange it
Mogami is the best out there (besides DiMarzio).
Dont listen to the warranty bull****. The cables suck.
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by constructbot
wow,8 years, my max is like...2 months...still i don't think it makes a real difference which one you buy...

Well that'd be why they only last you 2 months...

A cable can be the difference between good tone and GREAT tone - ****ty ones can pickup interference, won't allow the full sound of the guitar to reach the amp and will break much more quickly than higher quality leads - same goes for speaker cables (bad quality speaker cables can even damage your amp head...anyway).

Thicker cables tend to suggest more durability and higher quality and some good brands to try are Planet Waves (not the circuit breaker ones though, the Custom Series), Elixir, Venom (not above 10ft though) and Monster (though Monster can be overpriced junk too).
Quote by dfinch10
You've been playing 8 years and you're still asking advice on what type of cable to get?Wow. Sorry if I sound like a dick but wow.
Yeah. You do sound like a dick. And if you had read, his cable has WORKED for 8 years. So perhaps he just never needed to buy another one 'til now.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Quote by dfinch10

It's never too late in someones career to learn new things, you could be playing for 30 years and have a foggy idea on something like that.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by Ismail93
no...
i have had a monster cable with the unlimited warranty and it ****ed up every two weeks or so and i had to exchange it

Classic case of your anecdote being the end all be all on a situation. My monster cables have worked excellently for a year or two now.
I use my Planet Waves cable and my 10 € Schaller, the Schaller have lasted me since the summer and doesn't look like giving up yet, I recommend it if you're on a budget.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by dfinch10

No need to apologize But yeah, you do sound like a ****. Cable knowledge hardly comes out most important in the hierarchy of guitar know-how...

"Playing" for eight years is misleading.. I've been playing consistently 2-3 hours daily for only the last three months. The rest of the time was on and off.

I'll probably go in for a Planet Waves cable around 10-15 feet.
Quote by Ismail93
no...

wtf are you doing with you're cables that they're crapping out on you every 2 weeks?! I've had a monster cable for about 5 months now, and didn't have to trade it in yet and it's not even close to being traded in. are you biting through the cables with your teeth???
A tight ass and a sense of humour.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I've been using the same No-Name cable now for over 10 years o.O
On the rare occasion it stops working, I troubleshoot it and it's always the solder joint in the end plug. That's when i cut the end off, remove the wire pieces from the plug, and resolder it back onto the cable.
if you don't want to lose your highs, low capacitance is a thing to look for.

you're in the UK, cleartones are both really good, and really cheap. they often cost less than the cheapo crap which you get in guitar stores.

http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?