I've got the MXR M80, and recently (at least I haven't noticed it before) it has started to kinda distort even when the disortion is off but the pedal is still on so I'm still using the EQ... playing loosely on the strings doesn't make it distort but as soon as I start playing fast and/or a little harder it kinda distorts, anyone know what could be wrong?
And it's not good real distortion, it's more like the amp is farting
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
Last edited by BroDD at Feb 22, 2009,
Doesn't anyone have a clue?
It is most likely speaker distortion from your amp. If not, then it could also be a dying battery (if you are using one).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Battery... in my amp?
Or do you mean the battery in my bass and/or the pedal?
I meant the battery in your pedal. It is most likely your amp however.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Ok, I'll try changing both the pedal and bass, had both for a while and never changed.

As for the farting distortion, it does NOT distort when I don't have the distortion pedal plugged in it all....
It could be your EQ setting on the M80. I have one as well and when I use it on my pratice amp with the color button on, the speaker introduces distortion because it doesn't handle so much lows well (color button boosts low frequencies a lot).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Hmm ok... I'll check later if it does that with the color button off.
Thanks for quick answers ^^
Yeah - just play around with the EQ and see if that does anyhting.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

One question aboud the pedal, the phantom/ground button.. what does it do? I don't get it...
That is for the DI section. It is meant to cancel out potential noise that could be had from running it into a PA that is using phantom power. The phantom power is a powered signal from the mixer that could cause a hum from the DI. The switch is there so you can ground the signal and get rid of that hum if you ever get it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

What amp are you using?
Kustom KBA65 :p