Hey, I'm trading my acoustic on kijiji for a 2x12, and someone just offered me a "open back pine box on wheels" loaded with two peavey black widow 12' speakers. I have a Peavey Valveking 112, and im gunna be running the combo out of the 2x12. The impedance of the speakers is 4ohms, and he said "two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel to one jack". WIll this work for me? i have little epxerience with cabinets.
You don't want it. Peavey speakers are generally pretty bad, and closed-back cabs are generally better than open back, unless you want brighter and airier tones. It sounds like a cab he built himself.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
more than anything, i need to know what impedance i need to be using here. And not what one will make it sound best or anything, but which impedance will WORK with my VK 112.
Quote by theoreticmusic
You don't want it. Peavey speakers are generally pretty bad, and closed-back cabs are generally better than open back, unless you want brighter and airier tones. It sounds like a cab he built himself.

id actually heard that the black widows are pretty awesome speakers. i think that they were either made back during the mid seventies to early eighties...well, at least they were made back then, this may be a newer set. idk too much about them tho...can you try it out? if so, definitely do that. otherwise, i would be pretty hesitant to buy what sounds like is a homemade build

EDIT: ah, didnt see your second post. im not sure. did you try the sticky?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
uh...its pretty obvious (EDIT: no it's not...my bad). you have speaker outs on the back of your VK. they are each labeled according to their ohmage...either 4, 8, 0r 16. you must plug the cab into the correlating output on the amp. read the stickies for more info.
use your 4 ohm jack.

do it wrong, and you could blow an output transformer.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 21, 2009,
Wire the speaker in series and it would work fine. Otherwise, don't do it.

Series>> speaker(or cab) a ohms + speaker b ohms= output you would use in series.

Parallel>> speaker a ohms x speaker b ohms=number that is divided(top number) > speaker a ohms + speaker b ohm=number of divisions

The example I worked with was a 2 8ohm speaker cab in series out and to an 8ohm 1x2 cab. So.............

16x8=128 16+8=24 128/24=5.33

Impedance is just an average. With different amps it's ok to use mismatching impedance. Check with your amp manufacturer

Most combo amps have 2 8 ohm speakers, so if you don't have a 4 ohm output, I would suggest lookin into swappin the wires to make it in series
Last edited by MAYNARD at Feb 21, 2009,