so i know people always hate people talking about swapping pickups out for better ones one a low-end guitar, but My epiphone s-310 SG's pickups really suck and sound muddy (especially with My Marshall MG50DFX) and I don't have money for a new guitar right now... would it be worth it to replace them with a set of seymour duncans? probably a 59 SH-1 and an SH-4 JB.... I know it would better its sound greatly, but how much? and would it raise its resale value significantly?
No,it's not just your pups that are causing that problem,it's the amp as well.You could run the worlds greatest pair of boutique pups through an MG and still end up with poor sound quality.Pickups are used to make a good tone better,the amp is where the majority of your sound comes from.Dropping that much money on new pickups just to put them in a starter guitar being played through an MG would be a waste of cash IMO.You should save that money and go for a new amp or guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Invest in a new amp first. MG's suck and you'll hear the difference (of the pickups) with a better amp.

EDIT: Beaten.
it most likey would raise the vaule
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
you mean epiphone G-310?

the S-310 is a strat, i know cos i got the S-310 strat lol
You can always try a pickup swap and see if you like the difference. People here are calling it a waste of money but I beg to differ. Even if you don't think the difference was worth it, you're still left with two sweet pick ups that you can save for another guitar later.
Quote by tanman
You can always try a pickup swap and see if you like the difference. People here are calling it a waste of money but I beg to differ. Even if you don't think the difference was worth it, you're still left with two sweet pick ups that you can save for another guitar later.

And you're also set back 150 dollars that could go towards replacing the amp or guitar.It's like throwing a band-aid on a gun shot wound,it might be a slight improvement,but in the long run the problem is still there.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Dempsey68
you mean epiphone G-310?

the S-310 is a strat, i know cos i got the S-310 strat lol

yeah G-310 lol oops
new amp

/thread
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by Pr0gNut
And you're also set back 150 dollars that could go towards replacing the amp or guitar.It's like throwing a band-aid on a gun shot wound,it might be a slight improvement,but in the long run the problem is still there.

Your analogy is way off base and completely irrelevant. What I'm saying is that if he buys a new set of pick ups, he has made an investment. He still has something to show for the money he spent. It may not rectify the situation (similar to your band-aid) but it's an affordable approach that may have acceptable results.
Quote by tanman
Your analogy is way off base and completely irrelevant. What I'm saying is that if he buys a new set of pick ups, he has made an investment. He still has something to show for the money he spent. It may not rectify the situation (similar to your band-aid) but it's an affordable approach that may have acceptable results.

No,it's not.He'd be spending a good chunk of cash for an improvement that's nominal at best.The intelligent musician would invest money into a new amp instead of trying to solve his tone issue with new pups.The whole point of this thread is to help TS solve the issues he's having with his tone,and a new amp is the only real way to cure it.Like I said earlier,pickups don't make up the majority of your tone,your amp does.Swapping pups and playing through the same crap amp is backwards logic as far as I'm concerned.Your posts are misguided and show your lack of knowledge.Throwing good pickups in a starter guitar and playing through a crappy SS amp is not a good solution and the money could be better spent.

^ agreed.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Pr0gNut
No,it's not.He'd be spending a good chunk of cash for an improvement that's nominal at best.The intelligent musician would invest money into a new amp instead of trying to solve his tone issue with new pups.The whole point of this thread is to help TS solve the issues he's having with his tone,and a new amp is the only real way to cure it.Like I said earlier,pickups don't make up the majority of your tone,your amp does.Swapping pups and playing through the same crap amp is backwards logic as far as I'm concerned.Your posts are misguided and show your lack of knowledge.Throwing good pickups in a starter guitar and playing through a crappy SS amp is not a good solution and the money could be better spent.

Did you read what I said or are you just arguing? Obviously an amp is going to help the situation a lot more, and I'm all for saving to buy something better, but our friend here has said that money is an issue. As I said, a pickup swap MAY be an affordable option with acceptable results. Again, if it doesn't work, take the pickups out. They can be kept for future use or sold at only a slight loss.
Quote by tanman
Did you read what I said or are you just arguing? Obviously an amp is going to help the situation a lot more, and I'm all for saving to buy something better, but our friend here has said that money is an issue. As I said, a pickup swap MAY be an affordable option with acceptable results. Again, if it doesn't work, take the pickups out. They can be kept for future use or sold at only a slight loss.

TS can always save for an amp.

And then there's the hassle of removing the pickups and saving them for whatever comes next. Kinda pointless, when you could just get the amp first.

I guarantee if TS gets a smaller or whatever sized tube amp, he will be happier than he is currently. Pickups at this time are a waste. They are used to shape and improve an already good tone, not to magically fix a crappy tone.

I know you mean well, but in reality, it really is not a good idea just yet.
Quote by tanman

Swapping pickups isn't going to make a significant difference, if it will make one at all.

Why waste 150 bucks on something that isn't going to help him?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Swapping pickups isn't going to make a significant difference, if it will make one at all.

Why waste 150 bucks on something that isn't going to help him?

This. Forky is here to help, and he knows his stuff...

So TS, listen to us!

You'll be a lot happier, I guarantee it.

I believe Pr0gNut and myself actually had a discussion involving hookers and possibly an STI (formerly STD, lol). Anyways, it went on to say how any new pickups through a Spider amp or MG will still sound the exact same before the swap.

But eh, we can only make suggestions. In the end it's what you do, and you'll have to live with your decision.
Quote by tanman

No not really honestly. The pickups may make a SLIGHT difference but like what has been said by others above me without a decent amp your tone will still suck. If he in fact would spend about $200 on a couple new pickups thats money that couldve gone towards a new amp which in the long run would fix the problem completley and not just make a slight diffence in his tone.

Just My Opinion Though
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
No matter what these MG racists say, in your case the muddiness can be solved by new pickups, the amp is not causing that however, I would try a guitar with nice pickups (or atleast some very clear ones like some single coils) with the amp before hand to see if it eliminates your muddiness.
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)
Fender Rumble 15
Quote by BTSleadguitar
No matter what these MG racists say, in your case the muddiness can be solved by new pickups, the amp is not causing that however, I would try a guitar with nice pickups (or atleast some very clear ones like some single coils) with the amp before hand to see if it eliminates your muddiness.

You don't know what you're talking about.I used to own an MG back in the day and it's a muddy mess with nearly any pup.New pups WILL NOT solve this problem,they wont magically make a bad tone into something good.Any guitarist worth their salt knows that your amp is where the majority of your tone comes from.Pup swaps are viable solutions when you have a good amp and want to improve an already decent tone,not when you're playing a starter guitar through a poor quality SS amp.

Quote by BTSleadguitar

Great, the guy who thinks tubes are outdated.

You have NO IDEA what you are on about...

The MG is a P.O.S. amplifier, sir. New pickups will never ever ever improve an MG's tone, I am sorry to rain on your parade.

And how are we MG racists? The MG isn't really a race of people...

TS, don't listen to this guy, for the love of *insert religious entity*.
Save up for a new amp. Then replace the stock pups with GFS pickups. Why invest in new pickups that are real pricey for a guitar that is inexpensive. I don't think putting Duncans in it would raise the resale value of the guitar. It's still a lower end Epi SG (not that there's anything wrong with that), and as for re-selling it, not all buyers would really care or hear the difference in the pups.
get a new a amp.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by BTSleadguitar

ya im gonna try my buddy's telecaster through it and see how it sounds
and MG racist....EXACTLY
when you blow an MG amp does it not flutter the same!!!!