'kay, so the fam just bought a new TV, a 46" Bravia XBR series (KDL-46XBR3), and my mom thought that the HD pictures she saw in the store would be seen at home. Now, I know thats unrealistic, but the picture quality is slightly disappointing regardless, so I figured maybe our settings are terribly set.

But, for anyone who knows, is it the TV model itself that's a load of rubbish, or us?
get a smaller TV if the room you are in aint big
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
do you have HD channels? Regular channels won't come up in HD
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
For a tv that big, you'd need to be at least 20-40feet away to fully enjoy the picture

edit: yeah, yeah, overstated
Last edited by xFilth at Feb 21, 2009,
The output is only as good as the signal coming in.

The TV likely has a great picture quality.

Quote by xFilth
For a tv that big, you'd need to be at least 20-40feet away to fully enjoy the picture

I disagree. I run almost 100" through a projector and sit less than 20' away. It's great.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by xFilth

seriously?

We just got a 50" and we are sat under 6ft away from it :S
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Quote by jesus2nd
seriously?

We just got a 50" and we are sat under 6ft away from it :S

Which explains why you're blind.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
You need to have HDMI cables going to your TV from your cable/satellite box. IF you are receiving HD channels, go to those channels that are broadcast in HD. You CAN use COMPONENT cables, but really HDMI is the way to go, especially for sound.

If you want truly the best picture, make sure your TV is set to output at (assuming it does) to 1080p. Set your cable box to 1080i(p if it does). And make sure you have HDMI cables.

You should be sitting pretty in awe.

If you watch a BluRay at full 1080p, you shouldn't be saying it looks no different. There's a difference, and it's ****ing orgasmic.

EDIT: You do NOT need to sit 20-40 ft away from a 50" tv. Hopefully you did the right thing and got an LCD, not plasma or DLP. DLP you may have to back up and sit directly in front of it to get a good picture, and plasma just doesn't look as good as LCD.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Last edited by StillSoundRG at Feb 21, 2009,
1) Check if the channel you are watching is HD transmission. If you are watching regular television channels on a HD tv, it won't seem vibrant and all that nice stuff.

2) Check if the cable from your cable/satellite box to your television is at least a component cable. HDMI or DVI is recommended, but component will do.

If both 1) and 2) aren't satisfied, you won't have HD picture quality.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
You have to have HD signal, from cable or satelite or you can use a conventional antenna to get digital channels which are in HD and actually look quite nice.
Kramer Striker FR-424
Fender Starcaster
Roland Cube 30
Roland Mini Cube

Digitech RP90
Squier P-Bass (Insanely modded)
Fender Rumble 15
Quote by thrashmetal101
Pointless post!

So was yours. See... he's banned. How YOU doin?
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by wahappen

I disagree. I run almost 100" through a projector and sit less than 20' away. It's great.

Yeah, I figured, I overstated that a bit Metric person here, but yeah, I would personally not sit closer than 15 feet to a > 40" tv
Quote by Karvid
Which explains why you're blind.

Well played, Karvid. I rofl'ed.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
You need an HDMI cable, you can't just expect to plug into your old stuff and notice a difference.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by xFilth
Yeah, I figured, I overstated that a bit Metric person here, but yeah, I would personally not sit closer than 15 feet to a > 40" tv

I'm about 7 feet away from my Samsung 40" LCD. Phenominal picture quality.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I realize I cant have HD w/o HD, lol, all I was saying is that I thought maybe the regular channels should appear slightly better than before. Computers are more my thing, so I'm a TV noob.

So, this component cable business, is it achievable in that 4 step meme you kids use nowadays? Can I just buy one that's compatible, plug it in and, you know, I don't suffer a net loss?

EDIT: and yes, it is LCD for the record, and 1080p possible. Also, Ill try to dink around and see if it is indeed running 1080p at the moment
Last edited by redflag69 at Feb 21, 2009,
yeah, get the HD channels from your cable provider, they SHOULD be free, mine are.
Quote by redflag69
I realize I cant have HD w/o HD, lol, all I was saying is that I thought maybe the regular channels should appear slightly better than before. Computers are more my thing, so I'm a TV noob.

So, this component cable business, is it achievable in that 4 step meme you kids use nowadays? Can I just buy one that's compatible, plug it in and, you know, I don't suffer a net loss?

EDIT: and yes, it is LCD for the record, and 1080p possible. Also, Ill try to dink around and see if it is indeed running 1080p at the moment

You can use component cables and they will be able to send up to 1080p, it just won't look as good as an HDMI cable, if you're videophile and can notice it, most people won't, I just like to say I have the 'best of the best'. Besides, if you buy HDMI cables at best buy, I hope you know someone that works there to get a discount. HDMI cables is where they make their money, they mark them up about 60%.

The picture may be better if you change the channel to an HD channel even with component cables. It won't be HD but since the channel is broadcast in HD the colors will be a bit more vibrant.

EDIT: Most cable providers to provide HD at no additional cost, but some like Satellite have to pay for theirs.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Last edited by StillSoundRG at Feb 21, 2009,
get the HD cables, they're worth it. but no if you watch a non HD channel in HD the picture will appear WORSE because you can see all the flaws in the picture and filming
Good stuff, thanks a lot guys. My friend knows a really crooked place where I can get my hands on an HD box. Im gonna run the signal through there with component/HDMI cables, like you guys suggested, see how that works out.

I guess UG can be helpful sometimes
mail the tv to me and ill fix it for ya
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
It's probably set badly. They're set in the store to look good with all the light and activity around them. Look up a set-up guide online and use it. That should help a lot.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.