Page 1 of 2
I'm deciding whether to get a Mac or a PC and I was just wondering because Logic is for Mac only and my friend says he uses Logic at college and it's really really good.

At the moment I have Cubase SX3 and I don't really like it. So PC or Mac from a software point of view ?
Mac>PC
Pro Tools is the best.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
I use Logic on a Mac, and we use it at uni - in my opinion it is the best I have used... but I have no proper experience with Pro Tools until the 2nd year, which is allegedly the best DAW. I've never been a fan of Cubase but the new edition (Cubase 5 I believe) that is either out soon or has just come out, looks a lot better that the older ones.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I've had a look at the company that makes Pro Tools site and the specifications it needs. Apparently it needs (for the new pro tools):

Mac OS X 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 (Leopard)
2.5GB Total System RAM minimum required for maximum track count

What do you think is roughly the minimum price that I'd be looking at for a Mac to run pretty much only this?
America = Mac
Europe = PC
thou i think Mac is going to being better supported in Europe soon to Pretty much it depend
much you can seend
Just get a computer with an Intel, then you can dual boot either windows or leapord that's what i do
With the recent upgrade to version 8 Pro Tools really has become the complete package. It has been outstanding when it comes to being a rock-solid DAW for years now but now it's finally taken the step up to a full-fledged sequencer as well (most other apps went the other way). I haven't worked seriously in Logic for a few years, basically since it went Mac-only, but it's an excellent program. I'd say that those two are neck-and-neck right now.

Since I haven't logged any serious time in Cubase or its offshoots for about 10 years I can't really speak for them but suffice to say that you'll hardly ever see them in commercial studios (I've yet to come across a working studio that used anything other than Pro Tools or Logic).
PC>Mac

The only thing that really gives logic an edge is it's MIDI and synth options, and if you don't do electronic music it will just have a bunch of extra crap you will never use.

My favorite DAW is Cakewalk Sonar. It is IMO way better than Logic or ProTools

and I have been in several studios that use either this or Cubase over Protools.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by Wolffgang
But Cb IS a note...

...and that is why it was sigged - for his stupidity/ignorance. I know full well it is.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by no lolage
I've had a look at the company that makes Pro Tools site and the specifications it needs. Apparently it needs (for the new pro tools):

Mac OS X 10.5.5 or 10.5.6 (Leopard)
2.5GB Total System RAM minimum required for maximum track count

What do you think is roughly the minimum price that I'd be looking at for a Mac to run pretty much only this?

That depends if you are looking to get a Laptop or an Imac or Mac Pro. However I would suggest going with a mac. You will then be able to try Logic and if you do not like it than you can still run the others as well. Besides Macs operating system is a bizillion times more stable than windows and that alone is worth the extra you will pay.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
That depends if you are looking to get a Laptop or an Imac or Mac Pro. However I would suggest going with a mac. You will then be able to try Logic and if you do not like it than you can still run the others as well. Besides Macs operating system is a bizillion times more stable than windows and that alone is worth the extra you will pay.

no it isn't, I've had way more crashes on a Mac running Garageband or Logic than I ever have running Cubase or Sonar in XP.

Last.fm
I think Macs are better machines because their parts are selected to ensure compatibility. However, I really don't think that the difference in price justifies that difference, so long as you pick your PC components with some care and make sure you use decent stuff.

Macs are going to have to get a hell of a lot cheaper before I switch from PC. I use Cubase 4 (expecting to upgrade to 5 when I get the extra couple hundred bucks or so.... grr.....). I'm currently running it on XP and it is solid. I have used ProTools, and I haven't once found myself using Cubase and thinking, "Gee, I wish I was back using ProTools...."

Part of the key there too is keeping your system clean, and as much as possible, dedicated almost exclusively to audio. I'm willing to suggest that that behaviour will pay off significantly whether you go Mac or PC.

Timbaland uses Cubase. He's among the hottest producers in the world right now. Moby does too. So does Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Carribean, etc.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
it depends..

do you want the best software for the price?

or just hands down the best, industry standard, recording software?

either one will probably be more than you need.. even the best software won't mean alot without some awesome interfaces, AD/DA converters and preamps to pair it with.

given the gear i have (cheapo USB mixer and a POD XT), the recording software Cool edit pro 2 (doesn't even exist under that name anymore and the program itself is like.. 8 years old) does me just fine, and have recently been achieving some stunning results.

as far as the mac vs PC thing goes with recording software.. you can build PCs that can be just as stable as Macs.. if you only spend $300 on a computer and expect it to outperform a $2000 mac.. you're out of your mind :P

besides that, i've been to studios where the guy running it usually has both. and has also reported that both crash the same amount usually.. not to say that either will crash often, but they crash the same amount.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
its easy really. MACS are pure dynamic (which can cause problems) and and PC is diverse (i don't know if thats the right word....... I say, get pc, if you need pro tools just dual boot.
Well i run a quadcore PC at 3.10Ghz 4gb RAM and it isnt all that fast when you are at the latter stages of editing etc but i just to it on seperate files. I would go for PC tho because you pretty much need a 7200rpm(?) HDD these days and you have to buy Macbook pro to get that. Also there are tons of free plugins which are great and often are for PC only.

Get REAPER its really great compared to Cubase and Sonar.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Feb 22, 2009,
for just simple ****, i just fire up good ol' Audacity, but when I'm recording professionaly with a drummer, bassist, etc., we always use Adobe Audition. It works great, because our engineer loves it, and then I can take a copy of the tracks home because i can use it well to.
In other words: Adobe Audition has the right stuff for the professional to use, but is also user-friendly enough to let anyone use it (except the drummer, lol).
AND....Adobe products work well on both PC and Macs, but they tend to have a long startup time on PCs though.
i use Logic Studio on a 20" Imac G5 and it's so sweet! I also have Cubase 4 and am liking it more and more for just recording my guitar as it's not as RAM HUNGRY as Logic is. I also have a Windows Dual-Core Vista machine but between my Mac or my PC I record on my Mac - simply put it's the best in my opinion for anything to do with sound and video production too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by DegaMeth

Get REAPER its really great compared to Cubase and Sonar.

It's a little better for basic stuff, but it can't touch either for MIDI handling and more advanced editing.

Last.fm
How exactly are macs better if one wishes to achieve cost efficiency? Macs are much more expensive for a comparable setup, not to mention harder to get warez
Quote by 1337void
How exactly are macs better if one wishes to achieve cost efficiency? Macs are much more expensive for a comparable setup, not to mention harder to get warez

They are not cost efficient if you are looking for a cheap setup. However, I highly feel you like you get what you pay for in the PC world so you better not be cheap on that either.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by 1337void

in this forum we make the assumption that people are obtaining their recording software thru legitimate means. Just like they would with their guitars, and amps.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Led man32
They are not cost efficient if you are looking for a cheap setup. However, I highly feel you like you get what you pay for in the PC world so you better not be cheap on that either.

Honestly, unless you are getting a high end Mac Pro (not Macbook prol) they aren't really cost efficient period, because you can get a PC with the same quality build and components for about 2/3 or less of the price.

Last.fm
I use ProTools on a Mac, that's what they teach at my school for our Audio Arts program.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
... and how much different do you think ProTools is on a Mac compared to ProTools on a PC?

:wink:

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
... and how much different do you think ProTools is on a Mac compared to ProTools on a PC?

:wink:

CT

it isn't. unless you're running a Mac Pro with 2 quadcore Intel Xeons and 32 gigs of RAM. But I don't think anyone around here will be buying one of those.

Last.fm
Exactly my point.

CT

I've been plugging away at Cubase for a while now and I prefer it over sonar but then I do use quite a bit of midi.

If I'm right I believe certain daws are better at doing audio or midi (guys, feel free to jump right in here!) and some you can only get on mac or pc

Cakewalk /Sonor PC only, lacks in the midi
Garageband mac only, lacks in midi
Protools - seems to be the pro choice for audio
Cubase - good all-rounder
Logic (as I understand it) good all rounder - Mac only

Then you have things which are more performanve (live) based, like Albeton....?

Dont quote me on those specs, but to be honest, I think that's what i based my cubase purchase on.....

The key is to pick one that suits the job best - i would forget the whole mac/pc thing until you work out what you are going to use it for - and learn it inside out as well some home recording 101

I borrowed a copy of the cubase tutorial dvds of a mate and spent three or four days going right through them - probably saved me years that I would have spent learning the hard way.........

though me and another mate used octomed on an amiga for years - he 'upgraded' to a mac and garageband last year - released his first album in Novemeber - google Vic Mars

So ultimately I don't think the end results have much to do with the software anyway....
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Logic's midi is seamless, which Is why I use it. I use midi to make guide tracks quite frequently and doing that in anything else wouldn't be much fun..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by cuthbertg

Cakewalk /Sonor PC only, lacks in the midi

I have to say I firmly disagree with this, it can do everything the other DAWs can do in terms of MIDI, and I find its MIDI functions much easier to use than Cubase or Logic.

Last.fm
I'm running Cubase SX3 and it's good for what I'm doing at home but in college we're running Pro-Tools 7 M-Powered which seems pretty damned sweet. Apparently the new Cubase has upped it's game though. Might check it out actually.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Logic is far superior to cubase IMHO
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I have to say I firmly disagree with this, it can do everything the other DAWs can do in terms of MIDI, and I find its MIDI functions much easier to use than Cubase or Logic.

No Probs - I'm probably thinking as far back as the early 90's when I used to have time to read things like future music and sound on sound.... and i have never really used midi in sonar - I havent even looked at Sonar for a couple of years

I'm sure that cubase certainly used to have cakewalk licked in terms of midi, does not surprise me at all that this is no longer the case and that even if it once was the case, people would still prefer it.....
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
If your JUST recording, tools, if your doing composition and stuff as well logic.

Don't by a mac because people say its the industry standard or whatever, buy it because you like it as a machine. I use macs because i can't stand the way pcs work or much about them, i dont like the feel... or the low screen res as default (dont give me the, oh but you can raise it crap, i know) That and find me a profesional creative program that is an industry standard that isn't on mac, or rather one that doesn't have a mac competitor.
Firstly, get down with the basics of recording.

Then go and test different DAW's until you find the one that's got the specs you need, and the best workflow for you.
if you are not intrested in gaming besides music, get a mac, if you like to play games, pc is better.

Audacity does it's work mixin I.M.O. I use guitar rig to record.

simple as that.
Last edited by GisleAune at Feb 27, 2009,
Page 1 of 2