So I play metal/metalcore typically alone in my room, occasionally at a small show. Nothing larger than say a high school gymnasium. And I'm going to have the money very soon to finally give me the rig I really want. My plan is to get EMG 81&85, like every other metal guitar player ever, and a Mesa Amp.

Right now I have an Ibanez S520EX with stock pups that are very bland sounding as opposed to my LTD's pick ups or my Ibanez GAX70 pups, running through a Line 6 Spider 3 (ew.) with a Boss Metal Zone distortion (ew again).

The question is, which would I enjoy more while saving up for the other? The pups or the amp? And also, what would be a good Mesa amp to get given my playing circumstances?

Feel free to ask more questions, thanks in adance =)
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
A good amp would be a recto
and save for the amp before the pickups,
Emgs will sound worse on the spider than the stock pickups
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Amp!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by ragethetool
So I play metal/metalcore typically alone in my room, occasionally at a small show. Nothing larger than say a high school gymnasium. And I'm going to have the money very soon to finally give me the rig I really want. My plan is to get EMG 81&85, like every other metal guitar player ever, and a Mesa Amp.

Right now I have an Ibanez S520EX with stock pups that are very bland sounding as opposed to my LTD's pick ups or my Ibanez GAX70 pups, running through a Line 6 Spider 3 (ew.) with a Boss Metal Zone distortion (ew again).

The question is, which would I enjoy more while saving up for the other? The pups or the amp? And also, what would be a good Mesa amp to get given my playing circumstances?

Feel free to ask more questions, thanks in adance =)

The Mesa Rectifier series going to be your best bet (just from Mesa, not including 5150/Randalls/Bugeras/etc.) if you're playing to Metal/Metalcore/etc., or possibly the Mark series if you want to spend the money.

A new amp is going to do absolute wonders for your tone, and so will the EMG's (I'm personally a fan of Blackouts, but its all personal preference), but the amp will affect it more than any pickups will.

I would buy an amp and then save a little more for pickups later on. Keep in mind though that if you want a Mesa, they are fairly pricey, and so if youre on a lower budget I'd suggest looking at other amps.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Save for the amp. The emgs will probably sound better than the stock pups (maybe) but you won't be using them to their full potential.

I think the recto is a rather sh!t amp, but to each his own. I don't know what you mean by circumstances, but the best mesa in production right now is the lonestar, beautiful amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
mesa's are overpriced imo, and i think you dont need one. wait till the 6505+ 1x12 combo comes out in april-may-june or something, its gonna be around 550 bucks i think.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Save for the amp. The emgs will probably sound better than the stock pups (maybe) but you won't be using them to their full potential.

I think the recto is a rather sh!t amp, but to each his own. I don't know what you mean by circumstances, but the best mesa in production right now is the lonestar, beautiful amp.

Agreed.

I wasn't very impressed with the Triple Rectifier, especially considering its like 2000 bucks.

Go with a 5150/6505 on a cheaper budget

EDIT: Budget? or else WTF is a TAB is going to run in here with his HUGE list of the brootalzzz

(no offense WTF)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^ DAMMIT!!!!!
after 2 posts im gonna post teh list of teh br00talzzz

and yea budget for an amp??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i second all the other review and say go with the amp .

i had a Esp Ltd ex-400 with emg 81/60 and bought a fender stratocaster HSS ( with humbucker ) , so i though i would keep both one for metal and the other for rock and other stuff . i ended up selling the esp ltd ex-400 , i just didnt need it anymore , it has more a little more output than the fender but nothing i cant compensate by turning the gain up a little bit . thats for the bridge pickup Emg 81 .

Amp is bigger part of your sound than the pickup , specially when it come to metal or any very high gain setting . so get a good amp/preamp , and dont worry about the pickup ( assuming you already have a humbucker in your guitar now ) .

save the 200 $ + install and put it on a good amp or preamp . youll get better improvement than the emg set up only . your sound wont turn nice by adding an emg 81 .
Last edited by Skysc at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
mesa's are overpriced imo, and i think you dont need one. wait till the 6505+ 1x12 combo comes out in april-may-june or something, its gonna be around 550 bucks i think.

a 6505 1x12?? I may wait for that. I like how they sound. I'll save up for whatever I like the best, money's not too much of an issue.

And someone mentioned Blackouts, I've never heard of them... are they actives? or what's the story on them?

And the Mesa Mark series might be a good bet. I've played on a dual recto stack and really liked the sound, but does that come in a combo at all or anything? I think chugging on a dual recto at my little house would bring it to the ground lol
Here's to getting worse,
Blackouts are seymours duncans rip off of EMGs

They make recto combos, the rectoverb (has reverb) and tremoverb (has trem and reverb)
Ts im still waiting for the amp budget........
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Ts im still waiting for the amp budget........

He doesn't have a budget, he isn't even looking to buy an amp immediately...
^ hhhhh
TS save up for an amp.........then buy an EQ and if you're not happy with your tone then buy new Pups......
feel free to add me
Buy a new amp (Meybe a 6505 112 combo) and a EQ or a Metal Muff, THEN if you still don't like your tone, thou shallt buy new pups
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Get a Mark series for tight tones for fast stuff and orgasmatic leads/cleans
or get a Rectifier for chunky downtuned slow stuff, and loose low end
If you want the perfect mix of american tones and brit tones, get a Stiletto
Me, I would get a Mark.
okay, I looked into the new Mesa Mark 5, I'm gonna try it out as soon as my local GC stocks it. I like the mark series leads alot and it does the job for the chugging
Here's to getting worse,
^ do you play Metal???
and can i post my list of amps that you should try out???
feel free to add me
Quote by ragethetool
okay, I looked into the new Mesa Mark 5, I'm gonna try it out as soon as my local GC stocks it. I like the mark series leads alot and it does the job for the chugging

Lucky...
Buy it, BUY IT NOW!!!!And post clips/pics when you get it.
You should get a new amp before you get anything else!!

If you want that staple "metalcore tone" then go for EMGs, a Maxon OD808, and a Peavey 5150/6505. However a Mesa would be much more versatile if you're willing to spend the extra money.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ do you play Metal???
and can i post my list of amps that you should try out???

oh by all means post a list man! I play stuff ranging from RATM, Lamb of God, Mastodon, etc.
Here's to getting worse,
Quote by ragethetool
oh by all means post a list man! I play stuff ranging from RATM, Lamb of God, Mastodon, etc.

NO!!!!
Dont let him post a list, it just adds unnecesarry GAS. Get a Mark IIC+ or a Mark V, or a Triple Rec. or a 5150 or an ENGL SE or an ENGL Invader.