the middle knob on my amp is scratchy when i turn it either to the left or the right and if i f*ck with it for a minute and turn it up and down a buncha times it goes away. any ideas?
It either has dirt in it or it's heavily worn. The latter isn't nearly as likely. Definitely go with electronics cleaner/lubricant. A bottle is like $10 I think.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
the contact spray works well. i've only ever seen a situtation once, where my friend had to replace a pot in the amp. it wasn't very difficult at all, and at the time, neither of us had any electronic or solder skills.

Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Scratchy or popping may be trapped moisture.
Turn the amp on stand by and work all of the knobs back and forth. give extra attention to the more extreme knobs.
Leave the amp on and in Standby for a day or 2!!
It should be fine at this point, if not
TURN OFF THE AMP AND UNPLUG IT.
try the TV tuner spray DO NOT USE WD 40 it leave a oily residue that collects dust.
If you or somebody else previously used WD 40, you need to use the "contact cleaner/tv tuner" spray vigorously to remove any built up residue!

Home depot electronic dept has a cheap tv tuner spray
Wd 40 is great for loosening nuts and bolts but leaves oil defeating any contact.
Quote by Wardell Brown
Scratchy or popping may be trapped moisture.
Turn the amp on stand by and work all of the knobs back and forth. give extra attention to the more extreme knobs.
Leave the amp on and in Standby for a day or 2!!
It should be fine at this point, if not
TURN OFF THE AMP AND UNPLUG IT.
try the TV tuner spray DO NOT USE WD 40 it leave a oily residue that collects dust.
If you or somebody else previously used WD 40, you need to use the "contact cleaner/tv tuner" spray vigorously to remove any built up residue!

Home depot electronic dept has a cheap tv tuner spray
Wd 40 is great for loosening nuts and bolts but leaves oil defeating any contact.

This thread is years old..

Whatever happened to using a can of compressed air?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
On most pots there is a small gap in the housing right next to the contacts. Spray some contact cleaner in there - NOT WD40. Then work the pot back and forwards a few times.
If that doesn't work, replace the pot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
On most pots there is a small gap in the housing right next to the contacts. Spray some contact cleaner in there - NOT WD40. Then work the pot back and forwards a few times.
If that doesn't work, replace the pot.

5 year old necro bump.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.