I have been playing for almost 2 years now, and do not know how improve my picking speed. Using my wrist only, I can tremolo only about 16th notes at 100bpm, with tension, about 120 and using my whole arm somewhere around 180.

I practice starting with a metronome around 40 and work my way up to 120 or so, making sure I am as relaxed as possible, with the least tension as possible, but I never seem to improve.

I am trying to increase my speed, and everyone says that I should "play slow", which I do, and from a coordination aspect, yes it helps. But coordinating my hands in not the problem, I just cannot pick fast enough, so it doesnt matter how synchronized my hands are if I cant pick faster than 100bpm without tension, I will never be able to play faster than 100bmp.

Is this a common problem? To whoever has a quick tremolo picking speed, how long did it take you to develop, I would think that by 2 years it would have been faster than I am.

And I know someone is bound to say "just practice", but I mean, I practice somewhere around 3 hours a day, 4 times a week, which I know I could do more, but I think I should be showing improvement off of that.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
You know, what helped me was just to play songs with tremolo parts instead of doing monotonous exercises. I eventually just..."got it."
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Perhaps the problem is simply that you don't have the muscular control to pick rapidly? Maybe working out would be a good idea.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
It took me a while to get my alternate picking up to a decent shred speed.The thing I do to pick fast is to keep my hand and wrist movements to a minimum, just enough to get a clear tone out of the strings,no excessive movements that will waste time and slow my picking down.I also use Jazz III picks,which seem to be much better for fast picking than regular sized picks due to the shape of their tip and their small size.I know I'll sound like an ass saying this,but it honestly does just come down to practicing and playing experience.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

yea, jazz III have made it easier to pick, I recently made he switch
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79

Yup,I can't use any other picks now.I see by your sig that you also have a JSX,which is a great amp.I love mine,such a tone machine.

Anyway,you can also try working on your hand strength and muscle control.I didn't realize how important this was to playing fast until I injured my right hand.After I recovered,there was a noticeable drop in my picking speed and control.To fix it I used one of those grip exercisers that you squeeze together for about a month,after that month I was back to normal.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

How are you going up the metronome?

The way I go up on the metronome is I start at 50, once I have cleared 50 once a CLEAN!!!! I move up to 52, once I have cleared it clean, I go back to 51. It is extremely boring and takes a really long time to do, but if you do it you will get results. Also working out will help you, your muscle control gets better if you are working out.

I can not stress enough to keep it clean, every stroke should sound the same, upstrokes and down strokes. Results will come and be very meticulous about your playing.

I can not get to that shredding speed and I have been playing for two years, but I have increased alot, on major, minor, pentatonic, and a few modes. I am hitting 75 on 16th notes, as for tremolo picking, its all about consistancy, if I am going to do it really fast I have a bad habit of tensening up my arm and givener, the problem is you dont get the consistancy and you miss notes and its just blah..

Time = Skills... use all the time you can get...
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
I started getting my picking down when I started learning a lick from Children of Bodom from their song "Bed of Razors", I'm talking about the lick that starts at 1.14 and ends at 1.56. It have helped me with my alternate picking heaps, and now it feels like I'm finally ready to start learning some harder solos been playing for 1 year and 5 monts btw.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
no, I make sure I play consistently, I dont miss any notes, and i move the metronome up by 10 each time. This may sound like a large jump, but it take me about 4 hours to push the metronome up to 120 if I am doing a large set of exercises, so it is veryy slow.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79

Very true, for me atleast. Before, I just used any pick I got in my hands, but I always hated having a large large pick because I felt it was inaccurate (lol?). I wanted harder and harder picks, everything seemed like pieces of paper, flap flap flap....
But then, I got a Jazz III in my hand, first thoughts: "Wow that's weird, a real pick that fills all the requirements I've set?"
Needless to say, it was just what I'd been looking for. Now I can hardly use anything else