I thought it might be worth it to get some decent machine heads as the ones I have keep going out of tune and this would mean that no matter how rough I am while playing my guitar will stay in tune.

Do you agree, or have any other suggestions?

And no, I don't have enough money for a better guitar.
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
umm it might help. but mostly it would be a pain in the ass. you are likely to damage the strings if you are tightening and loosening them as much to tune it, and who wants to carry allen keys with them everywhere without the benefit of a whammy bar?

there are some fixed bridges which have fine tuners(you would really need them, as even locked floating trems, go a little out of tune with time and hard playing)
probably not cheap though.

what type of guitar do you have?
Last edited by diablo_man at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by diablo_man
umm it might help. but mostly it would be a pain in the ass. you are likely to damage the strings if you are tightening and loosening them as much to tune it, and who wants to carry allen keys with them everywhere without the benefit of a whammy bar?

Very well, but what else could be done?
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
locking tuners don't require any wrenches, infact they're much easier to use and more reliable. I think that if you're guitar is going out of tune, I'd recommend them. I put some on a guitar with a strat tremolo, and the stability was much better, and the ease of changing strings was amazing.

However, it won't mean that you'll never go out of tune. If there's friction at the nut or bridge, then having better tuners is not going to fix that. If you are having tuning problems and don't have much dough, I'd recommend either a graphtech nut, or graphite powder to help lubricate the nut and bridge saddles.

Edit: Diablo, I think you're referring to a double locking system, which is much different than locking tuners. Locking tuners have the same tuning range as normal tuners, they just minimize string windings so the guitar string doesn't slip.
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive
Last edited by The_7th_Nerf at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by gothicneo
Very well, but what else could be done?

i edited my post

and sorry i thought you were talking about this kind of locking nut setup

just the locking type tuners will be a good idea then

also put some graphite on the nut, net time you change strings
Last edited by diablo_man at Feb 21, 2009,
If you have ****ty tuners and dont want to too much money then it's a good alternative.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
i dont understand all this mention of locking nuts when the inital thread makes it very clear what hes asking about.

anyway i dont really see much benefit of locking tuners w/ a fixed bridge for the most part except it'd make changing strings a bit of a quicker process and would cut down on some of the slippage that sometimes happens with strings over time.
You only need locking tuners with a fixed bridge, you dont need them with a trem as trems have locking nuts (unless you have a non locking strat trem, in which case yes get locking tuners)

In addition to locking tuners with a fixed bridge, you also need a decent graphite or bone nut or it negates the point of having good tuners, the nut will grab the string and you will still go out of tune.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
There is no need to fit locking tuners on a fixed bridge guitar. My telecaster never goes out of tune, ever.

The only benefit you get from locking tuners on a fixed bridge guitar is ease of changing strings. If you are having problems with tuning stability, and you have good quality tuners, it's most likely because you aren't stringing your guitar quite right. If you have cheap tuners, then that could be your problem
Quote by The_7th_Nerf
I'd recommend either a graphtech nut, or graphite powder to help lubricate the nut and bridge saddles.

READ: Number 2 pencil -> Profit
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
^seriously? a number 2 pencil??
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Locking tuners on a fixed bridge guitar is fine because James Hetfield says so.
Quote by yoyodunno
Yeah take a knife and get shavings of the tip, you might mix it with vasaline(the thick one) to make a nut lubricant.

I find it much easier to just draw the graphite into the grooves in the nut... That requires one of them here newfangled science fiction-ey mechanical pencils, though, as the leads in a regular wooden one will probably not be thin enough.
^+1

and yes, locking tuners on a fixed bridge are a good idea. fixed bridge guitars can and do go out of tune eventually.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
They help my tele to stay in tune alot better than the stock tuners did.

Plus 5 mins for a string change is alot better than 30 mins of pain and annoyance for a regular string change- especially with the weird stock tuners my guitar came with.
^dude it takes me like an hour to change strings, cause i clean and oil my fretboard, too. that would be cut in half with locking tuners.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Well my tele has a maple fretboard, so I dont need to oil the laquer.

And I always end up stabbing myself with the unwound strings. Really painful and one of the problems with none locking tuners.