Page 1 of 2
Ok heres the guestion ?
What makes a song Pop Punk Rock ?

For me it's the easy catchy rhythems and solos if any
and the texts that you can't forgeet.
comment above is wrong.

pop punk is a punk song that is popular (ie catchy)
Quote by murdoc66
comment above is wrong.

pop punk is a punk song that is popular (ie catchy)

that true
and i really don't know why did they put the pop there I mean pop is yust shorted popular .

And Plz stop thinking PopPunkRock = Emo
East catchy rhythms and texts that you can't forget? Sh*t, trying to advertise a bit there mate? Don't start a thread just so you can try and sell a genre you like, that's just pathetic. And don't even mention "solos" and "pop punk rock" in a sentence ever again.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
East catchy rhythms and texts that you can't forget? Sh*t, trying to advertise a bit there mate? Don't start a thread just so you can try and sell a genre you like, that's just pathetic. And don't even mention "solos" and "pop punk rock" in a sentence ever again.

That wasn't ment as a add but more a hellp cuz i try to whrite a song and would like to know whatt's makes a song Pop Pun Rock and the treat was meant for fans of this gener so plz no offense . Whit the solos i meant more like Sum 41 and stuff maybe and stuff . And whit text i imagine more like the songs that made into Move sound tracks like I'm just a kid and songs that you still hear in your head for deays after you heared them .
Quote by Ic3
That wasn't ment as a add but more a hellp cuz i try to whrite a song and would like to know whatt's makes a song Pop Pun Rock and the treat was meant for fans of this gener so plz no offense . Whit the solos i meant more like Sum 41 and stuff maybe and stuff . And whit text i imagine more like the songs that made into Move sound tracks like I'm just a kid and songs that you still hear in your head for deays after you heared them .

Here's an idea, just write whatever music you feel most comfortable with, and don't worry about making sure it fits into any certain genre. Unless you just want to be like every other ordinary musician out there.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Here's an idea, just write whatever music you feel most comfortable with, and don't worry about making sure it fits into any certain genre. Unless you just want to be like every other ordinary musician out there.

Ok thnx man , helped me a lot So i guess i'll stop woriing abaut it.
It basically means it's a combination of pop and punk. Most pop punk has a moderate to fast speed, uses power chords (not always), and is generally just fun and sing-alongable.

And saying pop punk rock is kind of redundant, just call it pop punk.
Whoever the hell said pop punk is the same as punk except popular should probably just leave...Honestly, I've said some stupid ****, but seriously? Are you really going to by any stretch of the imagination put fall out boy and black flag in the same genre? Pop Punk's got almost no relation to punk aside from the name and song structure(ish). Punk is ANTI-pop, by deffinition. The title was made by record execs to help categorize bands, when really, they're nothing alike. Sid Vicious is rolling in his grave somewhere because of that comment.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Am i the only one who can't really seem to place The offspring, Blink 182 and Green Day in the same exact genre as the newer pop-punk bands?

I mean.. some of the so called pop-punk stuff today is like so gay, the guitars has less distortion and there is few (if any) guitar/bass riffs at all. Is this the new type of pop-punk? Should it even be called pop-punk?
I'm pretty sure that Panic at the Disco isn't as punk as The Offspring or Green Day, but I guess all older fans/bands are always going to hate all the newer bands and fans most of the time. Black Flag fans hate Green Day fans, Green Day fans hate Fall Out Boy fans... **** genres.
Well I'm a fan of all three of those bands, so what does that make me? And there are pop punk bands that aren't popular at all, that doesn't mean they're just punk. Like I said before, pop punk is a poppier, more melodic version of punk. Saying pop punk has almost nothing to do with punk is not true.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Whoever the hell said pop punk is the same as punk except popular should probably just leave...Honestly, I've said some stupid ****, but seriously? Are you really going to by any stretch of the imagination put fall out boy and black flag in the same genre? Pop Punk's got almost no relation to punk aside from the name and song structure(ish). Punk is ANTI-pop, by deffinition. The title was made by record execs to help categorize bands, when really, they're nothing alike. Sid Vicious is rolling in his grave somewhere because of that comment.

Well Sid Vicious was picked because of how he looked, and his attitude, he couldn't even play bass, let alone the fact that he was joining a band started to sell clothes...so eh, maybe not.

Nobody said Black Flag and Fall Out Boy were in the same genre...
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

^They said pop punk is just popular punk. FOB = Pop Punk, Black Flag = Punk and according to the above statement the only thing that makes them different is that FOB was super popular
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Pop punk is a more melodic form of punk characterized by often apolitical lyrics and simple chord progressions. It can be hard to tell the difference between punk and pop punk. The Descendent's Milo Goes to College (1983) is considered a landmark pop punk album and is also considered one of the greatest punk and hardcore albums to ever be released. I often throw in bands that have great bass playing with pop punk but you have to be careful. Operation Ivy is more punk/ska, whereas the Descendents and the Ergs! qualify with this whereas stuff like Teenage Bottlerocket and Green Day (not a dig at Mike Dirnt, he's pretty good) isn't as technical.

Summary: its definitely in the lyrics.
Not really. When you compare a band like the Ergs! with a band like the Damned there's an obvious difference musically.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by elloel
Am i the only one who can't really seem to place The offspring, Blink 182 and Green Day in the same exact genre as the newer pop-punk bands?

I mean.. some of the so called pop-punk stuff today is like so gay, the guitars has less distortion and there is few (if any) guitar/bass riffs at all. Is this the new type of pop-punk? Should it even be called pop-punk?

I know what you mean, most newer pop-punk seems more poppy(for lack of a better word). I can't stand newer pop-punk bands like ATL.
Quote by element4433
Not really. When you compare a band like the Ergs! with a band like the Damned there's an obvious difference musically.

Yeah, the Damned and The Ergs! have more in common lyrically than musically.
Quote by element4433

Lyrics are an important aspect. I have to say that it really is on a case by case basis. Nasally vocals contribute, songs about the friend zone help, playing less abrupt/dissonant music can really make it but there has to be a combination of all of these. I would call Lagwagon punk and Teenage Bottlerocket pop punk but they have a lot in common musically. I'm sure that someone would call Lagwagon pop punk. I'm listening to Jawbreaker who are one of the most important pop punk acts ever but it can be a bit hard telling the difference between them and a more melodic punk act. These guys really remind me of the kind of punk band to play The Fest but are still called pop punk, yknow? I had another point for the comma list at the top but it was lost.
Did the Damned regularly sing about being friend zoned? Did they whine about their parents or sing about being losers?

Quote by elloel

The funny thing is that there are people who listen to pop punk thats older than that or less mainstream than that and have a hard time placing those bands in the genre.
Last edited by Kurasuke at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by elloel

Fall Out Boy's guitar tones have more distortion than Green Day and so do many (if not most) modern pop-punk bands. And I don't see how the amount of distortion is even relevant.
Quote by Kurasuke
Lyrics are an important aspect. I have to say that it really is on a case by case basis. Nasally vocals contribute, songs about the friend zone help, playing less abrupt/dissonant music can really make it but there has to be a combination of all of these. I would call Lagwagon punk and Teenage Bottlerocket pop punk but they have a lot in common musically. I'm sure that someone would call Lagwagon pop punk. I'm listening to Jawbreaker who are one of the most important pop punk acts ever but it can be a bit hard telling the difference between them and a more melodic punk act. These guys really remind me of the kind of punk band to play The Fest but are still called pop punk, yknow? I had another point for the comma list at the top but it was lost.
Did the Damned regularly sing about being friend zoned? Did they whine about their parents or sing about being losers?

The funny thing is that there are people who listen to pop punk thats older than that or less mainstream than that and have a hard time placing those bands in the genre.

Lyrics really aren't a great way to go about classifying a band.
My point was that the Damned sang a lot of songs about girls/love (New Rose, See Her Tonite, Fish), which seems to be a prominent topic in pop punk.
But honestly, pop punk bands can sing about anything and everything.
There are pop punk bands, like J CHURCH, who had more serious lyrics. They had some loves songs, but they also had plenty of songs about anarchist/leftist politics. Other bands have a goofier approach to lyrics. There aren't any "friend zoned" songs on Dookie or Love Songs for The Retarded, and only a few about girls, but you'd be crazy to say those aren't pop punk.

Sure, a lot of bands do sing about the things you mentioned a lot, but a genre is not exclusively defined by lyrics.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Lyrics really aren't a great way to go about classifying a band.
My point was that the Damned sang a lot of songs about girls/love (New Rose, See Her Tonite, Fish), which seems to be a prominent topic in pop punk.
But honestly, pop punk bands can sing about anything and everything.
There are pop punk bands, like J CHURCH, who had more serious lyrics. They had some loves songs, but they also had plenty of songs about anarchist/leftist politics. Other bands have a goofier approach to lyrics. There aren't any "friend zoned" songs on Dookie or Love Songs for The Retarded, and only a few about girls, but you'd be crazy to say those aren't pop punk.

Sure, a lot of bands do sing about the things you mentioned a lot, but a genre is not exclusively defined by lyrics.

Yeah, its kind of a way to tell though. Like, without their unserious lyrics I would call the Descendents a hardcore punk band, yknow? But I did say that its a lot of other things contribute and its a whole mess of things that contribute. Its sorta just a "vibe" I guess. Which is as vague as you can be.
Please don't say "pop punk rock," pop punk and punk rock are two different types of punk.

Basically, pop punk is slower and more melody based than hardcore punk and punk rock.

And as a response to elloel, I don't think it should. Good pop punk was blink-182, and the old Green Day. The new stuff like the All American Rejects and the Jonas Brothers should just be considered pop.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
Please don't say "pop punk rock," pop punk and punk rock are two different types of punk.

Basically, pop punk is slower and more melody based than hardcore punk and punk rock.

And as a response to elloel, I don't think it should. Good pop punk was blink-182, and the old Green Day. The new stuff like the All American Rejects and the Jonas Brothers should just be considered pop.

Stuff like All American Rejects and the Jonas Brothers is considered pop rock not pop punk.

I think there's really two types of pop punk. The more gravely Dillinger Four, None More Black, Off With Their Heads type pop punk and the more Ramones influenced Queers, Screeching Weasel, Teenage Bottlerocket types stuff. Now there is obviously more to pop punk than that, but in the modern pop punk scene that seems to be what's here. It's really just punk with a poppier and catchier sound imo.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by StreetLight3989
Stuff like All American Rejects and the Jonas Brothers is considered pop rock not pop punk.

I think there's really two types of pop punk. The more gravely Dillinger Four, None More Black, Off With Their Heads type pop punk and the more Ramones influenced Queers, Screeching Weasel, Teenage Bottlerocket types stuff. Now there is obviously more to pop punk than that, but in the modern pop punk scene that seems to be what's here. It's really just punk with a poppier and catchier sound imo.

I would never call None More Black pop punk. Dillinger Four for sure, Off With Their Heads yeah, but so not None More Black. They barely even sound punk. Another one I like is Descendents style but thats limited to the Descendents and The Ergs!, unfortunately. But I will agree on that second type for sure.
Quote by Kurasuke
I would never call None More Black pop punk. Dillinger Four for sure, Off With Their Heads yeah, but so not None More Black. They barely even sound punk. Another one I like is Descendents style but thats limited to the Descendents and The Ergs!, unfortunately. But I will agree on that second type for sure.

Yeah, The Ergs are one of my favorite bands, so amazing live.

But yeah, I've always thought of None More Black as pop punk but I can see how you don't.
Quote by StreetLight3989

But yeah, I've always thought of None More Black as pop punk but I can see how you don't.

I always thought of them as melodic hardcore/punk than pop punk. They don't really have the marks of a pop punk group in my mind. What do you hear that reminds you of pop punk?
For the record- This Is Satire is easily in my top 15 albums of all time.
And I never got to see the Ergs! live.
Quote by StreetLight3989

I concur.

I don't see why people need to overanalyze the difference between pop punk and punk. Pop punk is a combination of POP and PUNK. It's as simple as that really.
Quote by Kurasuke
I always thought of them as melodic hardcore/punk than pop punk. They don't really have the marks of a pop punk group in my mind. What do you hear that reminds you of pop punk?
For the record- This Is Satire is easily in my top 15 albums of all time.
And I never got to see the Ergs! live.

I guess you could consider them Melodic Hardcore. They just have melodies and a kind of catchy punk vibe.

I've seen The Ergs! three times, including their matinee last show thing. Hopefully they'll be back in a year or so.
Quote by tmfiore

I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever call the Jonas Brothers Pop-Punk.

It's simple, really. If it's descendant from punk but sounds melodic enough that it could be played on the radio (or if it actually is playing on the radio), then it's pop-punk.

To whoever said Pop-Punk =/= Emo: No, Pop-punk is nowhere near emo; however, when I say emo, I'm talking about the real thing: Rites of Spring, Embrace, Gray Matter, Fugazi, Texas is the Reason, etc... The stuff that is mistakenly called emo now generally falls into two categories: Pop-Punk (Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack) and Post-hardcore (Chiodos, From First To Last).
Quote by IcePh0enix
I concur.

I don't see why people need to overanalyze the difference between pop punk and punk. Pop punk is a combination of POP and PUNK. It's as simple as that really.

Hmm... pop music tends to be a pretty poorly defined genre. At one point, pop was used to describe anything from Buddy Holly to The Turtles. Now, pop music tends to be really ****ty R&B.

It's simple, really. If it's descendant from punk but sounds melodic enough that it could be played on the radio (or if it actually is playing on the radio), then it's pop-punk.

I heard a Cobra Skulls song on the radio. Therefore, Cobra Skulls is a pop punk band. Also- your definition doesn't allow for melodic hardcore.
Quote by toyboxmonster
I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever call the Jonas Brothers Pop-Punk.

To whoever said Pop-Punk =/= Emo: No, Pop-punk is nowhere near emo; however, when I say emo, I'm talking about the real thing: Rites of Spring, Embrace, Gray Matter, Fugazi, Texas is the Reason, etc... The stuff that is mistakenly called emo now generally falls into two categories: Pop-Punk (Fall Out Boy, Motion City Soundtrack) and Post-hardcore (Chiodos, From First To Last).

You're right about the whole emo thing, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

What you're wrong on is pop punk. Fall Out Boy and Motion City Soundtrack are not pop punk bands(Chiodos and From First to Last are not post hardcore either, but that's for a different time). Pop punk is not simply pop combined with punk or just punk on the radio. Pop punk is a genre of punk that has a more melodic and catchy sound. The Ramones are the pioneers of this genre and many bands like Teenage Bottlerocket, The Queers, and Screeching Weasel have followed in their foot steps by sounding pretty much exactly like The Ramones

There are also other kinds of pop punk like I stated in my earlier post. Pop punk to me is just a more melodic form of punk, the line between melodic hardcore and pop punk is that melodic hardcore is hardcore that's well, melodic and kind of has a more aggressive sound. I'm not really making sense here so I'll stop. You really just have to listen to the genre to know.
Quote by StreetLight3989
You're right about the whole emo thing, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Fall Out Boy and Motion City Soundtrack are not pop punk bands(Chiodos and From First to Last are not post hardcore either, but that's for a different time).
melodic hardcore and pop punk is that melodic hardcore is hardcore that's well, melodic and kind of has a more aggressive sound.

Now I remember why I got fed up with this scene and moved on

*moves on*
Quote by toyboxmonster
Now I remember why I got fed up with this scene and moved on

*moves on*

Yeah, being accurate with descriptions is such a f*cking annoyance.
Quote by original=punk
Yeah, being accurate with descriptions is such a f*cking annoyance.

Not so much that, but the fact that no matter what sources or obvious information you can provide, someone is always bound to say "no, they're no [insert genre]" it's ****ing ridiculous.
Quote by toyboxmonster

I agree.

Their music is not reminiscent of punk in any way, therefore, they are not pop punk.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by toyboxmonster
Not so much that, but the fact that no matter what sources or obvious information you can provide, someone is always bound to say "no, they're no [insert genre]" it's ****ing ridiculous.

Give me a reason why Fall Out Boy and Motion City Soundtrack should be considered pop punk?
Quote by StreetLight3989
Give me a reason why Fall Out Boy and Motion City Soundtrack should be considered pop punk?

I do see Fall Out Boy as pop punk because it is reminiscent of punk in a way.

Motion City Soundtrack doesn't seem like pop punk to me but they are still pretty good.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Fall Out Boy do have more punk influence than Motion City Soundtrack, but I don't think I'd consider them pop punk, especially their newest stuff.
Page 1 of 2