I made this progression that sounds really good with some distortion and palm muting... but I can't figure out what key it might be in. It goes:

F#7 - Esus2 - GM6(?) - GM(no5)

The first G major chord i'm not sure what it's called, but it's got a fourth on top of the major 3rd. It's G - B - E.

The F#7 and the fact it resolves to GM throws it off for me. Any help here?

I play it a whole step down, on only the 4th-6th strings, so no full chords.
Is that F#7 major or minor? And you can't really have a GM with no 5th. It's just an interval then.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Last edited by Froboarder at Feb 21, 2009,
F#7 = F# - A# - C# - E

Esus2 = E - F# - B

G6 = G - B - E

G = G - B

You said resolves to the G so I'm going to assume your tonal center is G.

G(root) - A#(augmented second) - B(major third) - C#(augmented fourth) - (D) - E (major sixth) - F#(major seventh) - G(octave)

No idea what it is, but that's what they are.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
it could be the G nine tone scale: G, A, A#, B, C#, D, D#, E, F#
you are what you is
Quote by Froboarder
Is that F#7 major or minor? And you can't really have a GM with no 5th. It's just an interval then.

The F#7 is F# dominant 7. And the fifth doesn't decide a chord, the amount of notes does. In this case, it's G-B-G. A major G chord.

Sophist - I came up with almost the same scale. I had 2 octatonic scales, just cause I could. I had a b2 or a natural 4 as well as what you came up with. But is it safe to say it's not in any Western scale?
I don't think you will be needing any rediculous scales. It looks like its in G major. The VII chord is major instead of diminished. I'm pretty sure it's a borrowed chord of some sort.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
The F#7 is F# dominant 7. And the fifth doesn't decide a chord, the amount of notes does. In this case, it's G-B-G. A major G chord.

Sophist - I came up with almost the same scale. I had 2 octatonic scales, just cause I could. I had a b2 or a natural 4 as well as what you came up with. But is it safe to say it's not in any Western scale?

Sorry, I thought it was F #7. And the fifth may not determine a chord, but a fifth may only be omitted if it is unaltered or needed. You need the fifth for to make that GM. And G-B-G is a triad, for the record.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder

well yea, but so is a power chord, it's just kinda common to refer to something like that as no5th so they can call it something instead of just saying the notes.

edit:

Quote by DiminishedFifth

no, he is kinda right. a chord has to have at least 3 notes. it may have the tonality of a G major chord, but it's not a chord.

(I still think it's ok to call it GMno5th though, as long as you know)

Quote by Froboarder
And the fifth may not determine a chord, but a fifth may only be omitted if it is unaltered or needed. You need the fifth for to make that GM. And G-B-G is a triad, for the record.

I believe the two Gs do not count as two separate notes, so it's just a stacked interval. again, like a power chord.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by The4thHorsemen

I believe the two Gs do not count as two separate notes, so it's just a stacked interval. again, like a power chord.
Oi, was just trying to correct the amount of notes.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder
Oi, was just trying to correct the amount of notes.

it's cool, just helping ya out, and him too