I recently bought a new microphone... OSP DL-330 (sm57 clone)

I've been using it for micing up my amp for various recording. But, for some reason (this was applicable with my old mic, too), the tone gets an unwanted/unfavorable compressed and muddy sound, especially with high gain applications, when I put the mic where it's supposed to be (the three newest recordings on my profile were with the mic six feet away, three feet up).

Any ideas as to why this would be occurring?

Am I right in thinking the purchase of a mixer (some behringer or phonic one) and plugging in via the line-input of the interface would alleviate this issue?
amp->mic->mixer->interface->computer

I'd really like some input on this...
Last edited by dudey5691 at Feb 21, 2009,
Try turning your gain way down. When recording you really do not need much gain for it to sound really heavy. Why is the mic so far away? It should be up close to the cabinet.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Try turning your gain way down. When recording you really do not need much gain for it to sound really heavy. Why is the mic so far away? It should be up close to the cabinet.

I realize I don't need as much gain, I had my gain down to a bit under half as opposed to three-quarters.
I also tested different gain settings of the fast track, and it still gave me the undesired tone.

I moved it between three inches away and right on the grille, with it off-axis (I think)... it was pointed towards in the middle of the inside and outside parts of the cone.

My guess is that the signal is just overloading the on-board mic preamp, hence my consideration of buying an external mixer to go line-in.
I have the m-audio fast track and i installed the correct driver (I think) but I can't use it to record anything. I use magix music maker 11 deluxe.
Quote by dinley
I have the m-audio fast track and i installed the correct driver (I think) but I can't use it to record anything. I use magix music maker 11 deluxe.

Okay... what was the point of that post? I honestly don't see it, unless you try to construe that it doesn't work? It DOES work for me.

Anybody have any ideas?
Quote by dudey5691
Okay... what was the point of that post? I honestly don't see it, unless you try to construe that it doesn't work? It DOES work for me.

Anybody have any ideas?

yeah it doesn't work. i put this here cause i saw the title and figured it'd save time rather than putting up another thread
Quote by dinley
yeah it doesn't work. i put this here cause i saw the title and figured it'd save time rather than putting up another thread

That's threadjacking...

Just configure the DAW (music magix deluxe or whatever the hell it is) to have the Fast Track as the I/O, and it should work.

You should MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD. Putting that kind of question in a thread regarding something completely different is pointless.

Now, does anybody have any idea about how to solve the issue brought up in OP?
I've had problems with the fast track too, you might want to use a better mic preamp than the one that's built into the fast track since it's not really designed for that sort of thing anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've had problems with the fast track too, you might want to use a better mic preamp than the one that's built into the fast track since it's not really designed for that sort of thing anyway.

Okay, that's what I was guessing. The line-in has no preamp, so a mixer in would work great.

Any idea on how the behringer mixer mic preamps are? I tried a similar mixer, Phonic (older model), and it sounded like it handled it well.
Quote by dudey5691

Any idea on how the behringer mixer mic preamps are? I tried a similar mixer, Phonic (older model), and it sounded like it handled it well.

no idea but I haven't had many good experience with Behringer products, presonus makes some pretty good ones though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no idea but I haven't had many good experience with Behringer products, presonus makes some pretty good ones though.

Their sound equipment, outside of amps and such, is actually pretty decent for the price. Not great, but again, cheap cheap cheap.

Presonus seems a bit out of my budget... their mixers are $300+! I think I may have confused you with mic preamps

Mixers. Any idea on some cheap, good mixers... under $100 that I could get used for cheaper? I really just need two good XLR inputs and some 1/4", if available. For the price, that is...
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Focusrite ISA ONE?

Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by BrickIsRed
I had an M-Audio Fast Track USB once. It burned itself out after a few months...

I bought mine used... and i've had it for 6 months, so...

I've been looking around and it seems I'm ditching out $60 regardless of what I chose, that's the minimum for any mixer.

I guess this is what I get for being cheap With the same money spent, I could have gotten something with some decent mic preamps.

Oh well...
Quote by dudey5691
I bought mine used... and i've had it for 6 months, so...

I've been looking around and it seems I'm ditching out $60 regardless of what I chose, that's the minimum for any mixer.

I guess this is what I get for being cheap With the same money spent, I could have gotten something with some decent mic preamps.

Oh well...

You should save up for decent gear, or else you'll find yourself with a bunch of broken crap you can't use.