Well here is the deal, I have been playing guitar for about a year and a half now and I am ready to get a new guitar that doesn’t completely suck. Currently I have a really cheep strat knock off that I got with a starter pack. I recently bought a peavey envoy 40W amp that was a huge upgrade from the starter pack amp so I am covered in that category for a little while. Anyway I have about $500 to spend and I am looking to upgrade my guitar to one that is not a piece of ****. I generally play classic rock, hard rock, old thrash metal. I want to try to get a guitar that will last me a while and personally I really don’t want some guitar with a basswood body if I can help it…to me it just seems like a cheap wood. Basically I just want some opinions on what guitars you think would fit my style and budget.
Basswood is actually really nice why do people think its crap? Its good enough for Vai and Gilbert is it not?

Anyway check into an Ibanez S or RG series.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
about the basswood i had heard high quality basswood is great but that the kind that was used in lower end guitars was crap. I mean i am sure it is sort of that way with all woods but there it seems like it is more noticeable with basswood
Quote by slashisgod+some
about the basswood i had heard high quality basswood is great but that the kind that was used in lower end guitars was crap. I mean i am sure it is sort of that way with all woods but there it seems like it is more noticeable with basswood

hmm... not true... my schecter omen 6 is basswood, and it's great.
PRS SE's are really good guitars for their money. Depends what kind of guitar you want tbh.

Epiphone Les Paul's will always be great, Fender Strats are great, PRS SE's are great, Ibanez RG's...

All depends on which type of guitar feels best for you.
honestly I know nothing about PRS guitars...What do they have for around 500? honestly i thought that they were higher end guitars.