So at my local music store there's a fender strat there with p-90 pick ups, with an all red body, black pick guard, along with an all red headstock. My question is, how rare is it, and should I pick it up, if i end up getting the money soon? The p-90's are black too, so it's pretty sexy looking, I'm just wondering if I should grab it since...well never played a guitar with p-90's to be honest.
Get It!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Play it first, but being a proud strat owner myself, that sounds like it's could be sick. I'm replacing all three of my pickups in my strat soon.
lol, Slow your roll, first I wanna know to those who have played P-90's, what's so great about them? I don't wanna get it just cause it's unique i want to be able to like it.

Ok so I found a picture resembling it, imagine this guitar with P-90 picks up, as for the neck I'm pretty sure it has a rosewood finger board

Last edited by SGlover69 at Feb 21, 2009,
Pics would be nice, I'd like to see how sexy that looks. o: And I'd say get it.
P90s are, tonally speaking, a hybrid between single coils and humbuckers. It's a pretty distinct tone IMO. Brilliant cleans and great distortion that can get quite heavy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Yeah, was about to ask about the fretboard. Does the grain actually show? Or is it a solid color?
Quote by -Raiden-
Pics would be nice, I'd like to see how sexy that looks. o: And I'd say get it.

I've googled this thing and I couldn't find it. But I did find the picture above, that slightly resembles it.

Quote by -Raiden-
Yeah, was about to ask about the fretboard. Does the grain actually show? Or is it a solid color?

Im PRETTY sure it was solid, about 70% sure, but it's possible it showed through.
Last edited by SGlover69 at Feb 21, 2009,
Well then, seeing as how it looks amazing IMO, I'd say if you like the tone it has buy it. I'm guessing it has two P-90s right?
Ya, two P-90's, it's weird though because I can't find it anywhere. Not even at GC.
Yeah, never seen a strat with P90's. And Red strats are total eye-candy. I was actually thinking of fitting my old squier with some P-90s, but I'm still not sure if I should replace the stock pickups with P90's or just some new singles.
lol, well from what I've heard the def. stra gave of P-90's are true, they have a really distinct tone so it can really set you apart and I like that about this guitar.
Yeah, but I've never tried any guitars with P-90's, my guitar center doesn't have any. :/ Kind of sucks. And I haven't found many other guitar stores around here.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-StratOSonic-DV-II?sku=511259

Is this the guitar the one you found? If it is I think it might be up your alley, very Gibson like, mahogany body, p 90s but in the shape of a strat. Interesting.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Alright so using a guitar generator I sort of made what it looks like, its kinda small due to the requirements, either way this should give you a better idea.
Attachments:
Strat.jpg
Quote by SkaJon
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-StratOSonic-DV-II?sku=511259

Is this the guitar the one you found? If it is I think it might be up your alley, very Gibson like, mahogany body, p 90s but in the shape of a strat. Interesting.

It is VERY close, closer then any picture I've found. It's all mahogany, but the pick guard is the regular strat style and it's got the same style knobs , switch, well it could possibly have a different switch since it's two p-90's, I'll have to go take a look soon.
Go buy it. The only one I've ever seen was around Pete Townshend's neck when I saw The Who, and the tone was good. If it's good enough for a 64-year old professional playing stadiums, it's good enough for you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165

Then it must be this one, and someone modded it out and popped in p 90s in that bad boy. Still a very cool and unique stratocaster.
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165

Then it must be this one, and someone modded it out and popped in p 90s in that bad boy. Still a very cool and unique stratocaster.

Not only that though, the head stock is red as well.

and if Pete Townshend has played it, I'm pretty sure i now want it I'll have to play it a bit first so i can get a feel for it.
Must be sort of of custom job or an older model I'm not aware of, but anyway if you gel and vibe with it, go for it. Me personally I don't know if a P 90 strat would gel, I like that single coil quack too much

Good luck
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by Jammin'John
Is it this one ?

JJ

That's clearly a Telecaster, NOT a Strat.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Sounds like you're talking about a Fender Strat-o-Sonic.

They are very nice guitars.
Maybe who knows. I'm gonna go check it out today. i'll try and get a pic for you guys.
Toronado maybe?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Okay, look.
Who cares how rare it is or if it's genuine? If it plays good, looks good, feels good then being a Strat with P90s it's sure as HELL going to sound good so get your ass over there and buy it before it sells
Quote by stradivari310
P90s are, tonally speaking, a hybrid between single coils and humbuckers. It's a pretty distinct tone IMO. Brilliant cleans and great distortion that can get quite heavy.

+1, i think tony iommi's SG from the early days with black sabbath had P90s.

They kinda have the clarity and response of single coils (because they are single coils), but tonally (as in, frequency response) are similar to humbuckers.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp