Grrr
I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now, and I'm just starting to get serious about it. I even think I'm going to study music in Cegep (I'm from Quebec, so it's roughly the equivalent of college) in two years. Hopefully become a studio musician, then...who knows? However, I now realize that I don't feel like I'm practising correctly....

What I usually do is some chromatic exercises for dexterity, some scales (minor pentatonic, blues, major, minor) and practise whatever song or part of song I'm learning. I use a metronome for the chromatics and scales.

But I really feel like I could do a lot more, squeeze more juice out of my practice time.

I'm a student, so I try to get a minimum of 30-45 minutes per weekday, and at least 1-2 hour per weekend-day(?).

I play mostly classic rock and blues, but I enjoy pretty much anything except metal.

[edit]I have lessons once a week, for an hour.

So I hope you'll be able to help me out here: recommendations, tips, practice schedules? anything
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Feb 21, 2009,
If you want to get serious about it, and study music, you should get a guitar teacher. Seriously!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I guess if you wanted to you could research (over the internet) more in depth theory.

You could start writing your own material too if you wanted to.

But really you're doing pretty much everything needed for optimal practice sessions.
The only thing you could do is have longer practice times, but obviously that might not
be possible when factoring in school, work, etc.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by BlisteringDDj
If you want to get serious about it, and study music, you should get a guitar teacher. Seriously!

Wrong.

All the people i have known (including myself) has taught themself guitar, having a guitar teacher helps, ofcourse it does, but nearly everybody I know who plays guitar (and GOOD at that), have taught themself.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Oh sorry I didn't tell about teacher...edited

And please no fighting over teacher/no teacher. For me, I feel like I can do more with one. But it's different for everyone.

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by 666-JoE-666
Wrong.

All the people i have known (including myself) has taught themself guitar, having a guitar teacher helps, ofcourse it does, but nearly everybody I know who plays guitar (and GOOD at that), have taught themself.

Wrong? Not in any way... A good teacher will get you further, faster.

Quote by MCRibz
Oh sorry I didn't tell about teacher...edited

Cool, is he any good?
C4C
(or in my profile!)

I've found recently that practising awkward fingerings that you make up yourself, such as playing notes with your hand stretched and streching a long way with your pinky is a good way to improve, it also helps your hand strength. Just play random awkward patterns using 3 or 4 notes until you can play them consistently and quickly.

This is one technique Slash used also, and it's how he discovered the Sweet Child O'Mine opening riff.

Also keep practising parts out of songs that you can't play until you can, if you manage to play them it means you've learnt and improved.
My teacher's pretty good. Well, actually I've only had one so I can't compare...
But here's what we usually do in an hour lesson:
1. Review song/solo/part of song from last lesson (or past few lessons if the song's long or I have trouble)
2. Perfect it some more
3. New material

And I was thinking of getting a 30 min lesson per week solely for theory, because...well I need it

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
My teacher's pretty good. Well, actually I've only had one so I can't compare...
But here's what we usually do in an hour lesson:
1. Review song/solo/part of song from last lesson (or past few lessons if the song's long or I have trouble)
2. Perfect it some more
3. New material

And I was thinking of getting a 30 min lesson per week solely for theory, because...well I need it

That doesn't get you anywhere. You can learn songs for yourself, at home. You should definitely ask him to go through some theory with you.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by BlisteringDDj
That doesn't get you anywhere. You can learn songs for yourself, at home. You should definitely ask him to go through some theory with you.

Thus the 30 min theory lessons per week

And I find it much longer to learn songs at home than with the teacher

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
i did one lesson with one guy..n learnt how to construct songs and solos in correct keys, progressions..definately worth the 1 lesson...but apart from that im self taught..

seriously if u want to get more time out of ur 45 mins every weekday.. do hour n 30..
thats all..u i literally played for 3 hours everyday after school, after about n hour, you get real warmed up, take a 15 min break come back and you notice how much easier it is to play and how much better you are

try that mate
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by fairycake92

seriously if u want to get more time out of ur 45 mins every weekday.. do hour n 30..
thats all..u i literally played for 3 hours everyday after school, after about n hour, you get real warmed up, take a 15 min break come back and you notice how much easier it is to play and how much better you are

try that mate

I wish I had that kind of time... but I really don't.

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Then you don't love the instrument enough! If you sleep 8 hours, scrap 2 hours, play guitar, and get some good 6-hour sleep! You need to dedicate at least 1-2 hours a day for your instrument, or else, you're not going to go anywhere...unless you're playing punk, though...
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
I tend to just play random songs/riffs for like 4 hours and call it practice :/
If you're gonna learn theory start learning where the notes are on the fretboard, will make learning scales much easier.