Page 1 of 4
Is anybody else sick of the stereotype North Americans get for not knowing more the one language?

I started learning a new language (Swedish :P), and it's actually really fun, and a lot easier then you think (for those who haven't before), just go to one of those simple sites to get started (I'll put links at the bottom), and from there if your interested you can move on.

The best thing to do is to start with a website that teaches you the basics and pronunciation, from there, download an airplane audio book or go to the library and get some language books to teach you more on sentence structure and so on.

The 2 main hardest parts in learning a language are, the vocabulary, obviously, and building sentences, so what you want to do is get a book on building sentences, and get a ________ to English dictionary and start memorizing.

Now, my band and I only speak to each other in Swedish (for fun), because it's easier for us to talk to each other faster with that language (English isn't known to be the most intelligently made language, and you can find out why by learning a different language).

Honestly, it's not hard to do, it's as easy as memorizing more words, and putting them into effect just like you do with your native language.

Web Links:
http://www.101languages.net
(Will add more when found or given, the rest I've found are bull**** scam sites asking for money, this one is good for starting out).

Hopefully some will at least try, it would be nice for this generation to beat the generic American and Canadian(yes us to) stereotype that we can only speak our native language.

Oh, and inb4 elitist retards claiming they know 1234567 languages already.

TL;DR
Learn a New Language.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

I've been meaning to learn me Mandarin. I guess this is a good time to start.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I can barely speak English. I'm too ignorant/lazy/American to be bothered.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by DSchmitty
Is anybody else sick of the stereotype North Americans get for not knowing more the one language?

I started learning a new language (Swedish :P), and it's actually really fun, and a lot easier then you think (for those who haven't before), just go to one of those simple sites to get started (I'll put links at the bottom), and from there if your interested you can move on.

The best thing to do is to start with a website that teaches you the basics and pronunciation, from there, download an airplane audio book or go to the library and get some language books to teach you more on sentence structure and so on.

The 2 main hardest parts in learning a language are, the vocabulary, obviously, and building sentences, so what you want to do is get a book on building sentences, and get a ________ to English dictionary and start memorizing.

Now, my band and I only speak to each other in Swedish (for fun), because it's easier for us to talk to each other faster with that language (English isn't known to be the most intelligently made language, and you can find out why by learning a different language).

Honestly, it's not hard to do, it's as easy as memorizing more words, and putting them into effect just like you do with your native language.

Web Links:
http://www.101languages.net
(Will add more when found or given, the rest I've found are bull**** scam sites asking for money, this one is good for starting out).

Hopefully some will at least try, it would be nice for this generation to beat the generic American and Canadian(yes us to) stereotype that we can only speak our native language.

Oh, and inb4 elitist retards claiming they know 1234567 languages already.

TL;DR
Learn a New Language.

Im sick of people thinking that only north americans know only one language.

ok your the first person to think that, but im still sick of it.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by heaven's gate
TS must really like Kensai.

And Mandy Moore by proxy.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by ross1234
Im sick of people thinking that only north americans know only one language.

ok your the first person to think that, but im still sick of it.

Actually it happens a lot, and it's lowest Country multilingual wise.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

no.. they should all speak my language when I go to there country for a holiday

*basks in ignorance*
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

i like english..so why learn another?

besides, french sucks..
i took french one and two.
and i dont remember anything
I don't speak any languages at all.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by heaven's gate
TS must really like Kensai.

Actually, In Flames, or more specifically, Anders and Bjorn, but Kensai is up there.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

I would know another language, but my faggoty ass school cut the german program halfway through.

I want to learn Italian someday though
I know Irish, English and I'm learning Italian..is that enough?
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
I have never heard that stereotype. Ever.

Learn Japanese. If you can understand, learn, and use that language's grammar, it'll be easy for you to learn other languages.
Spanish is the most fun, though, IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
is this spam?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I can speak english and communicate with owls but that's about it. I always thought about learning something comparetively simple like spanish but I would probably fail.
Quote by Remster_gee
I am marklar marklar at Marklar

Fixed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I have never heard that stereotype. Ever.

Never, ever? You obviously don't work anywhere that deals with any international relations, everywhere people despise Americans for their ignorance.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Ive always wanted to learn swedish. Is it hard o_O?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I speak English, because everyone does.

However, my native language (Norwegian) pretty much allows me to understand/halfway speak Swedish and Danish. Do I then speak more than one language, if you exclude English?

MushroomEdit: I had French for three years. I royally failed

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Last edited by MushroomBomb at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by PluckU
Ive always wanted to learn swedish. Is it hard o_O?

VERY easy if your motivated, the only hard part is building a vocabulary and building sentences, other then that, it's literally a piece of cake, but takes a bit of time.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Cool, a canadian trying to learn swedish :P
If you need any help, ask me hehe :P
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Quote by DSchmitty
Never, ever? You obviously don't work anywhere that deals with any international relations, everywhere people despise Americans for their ignorance.

I work in a workplace that has no less than four seperate nationalities, each speaking frequently their own languages, and they've never once mentioned how ignorant americans are becuase of their language.

American's aren't considered negatively in other countries becuase of our language. It's becuase of how they act.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
VERY easy if your motivated, the only hard part is building a vocabulary and building sentences, other then that, it's literally a piece of cake, but takes a bit of time.

wait, what?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by strat0blaster
I work in a workplace that has no less than four seperate nationalities, each speaking frequently their own languages, and they've never once mentioned how ignorant americans are becuase of their language.

American's aren't considered negatively in other countries becuase of our language. It's becuase of how they act.

They are also constantly despised of because of their ignorance, most major corporations within America only speak American but still have to communicate with different offices across the world, which have to speak American to communicate with them, you don't see why? Because they expect everyone to speak to them in their own language, why do you think 80% of schools world wide teach English as a second language?
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by DSchmitty
They are also constantly despised of because of their ignorance, most major corporations within America only speak American but still have to communicate with different offices across the world, which have to speak American to communicate with them, you don't see why? Because they expect everyone to speak to them in their own language, why do you think 80% of schools world wide teach English as a second language?

Like I said before you proved my point - it's not becuase of their LANGUAGE - it's becuase of how they act, EG trying to force others in international relationships to speak only english. That isn't the language's fault, it's THEIR fault.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Like I said before you proved my point - it's not becuase of their LANGUAGE - it's becuase of how they act, EG trying to force others in international relationships to speak only english. That isn't the language's fault, it's THEIR fault.

I misunderstood what you said then, sorry, I meant their attitude, and not the languages fault (although English does have a lot of problems as well).
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

I agree, but then again, I know almost 4 languages...
English isn't bad though, my dad told me it has the most words out of all languages.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by DSchmitty
I misunderstood what you said then, sorry, I meant their attitude, and not the languages fault (although English does have a lot of problems as well).

Oh I agree - I dislike english very much, and I enjoy talking in Japanese and Spanish MUCH more - there aren't superfluous contradictions to un-necessary rules and forty words that mean the same thing.

Miscommunications happen - no sweat

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca#English

The reason people learn English as a second or third Language is "English is the current lingua franca of international business, science, technology and aviation."

If anoter language overtakes English (which will happen one day) then everyone will start learning that language.

I'm not going to feel bad for not knowing a language I dont need to know
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
aznrockerdude -

Kore-wa no SIGNATURE SUGOII DESU!!

I'm learning too - just starting out. Go Paul Gilbert!

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I think english is a lot cooler than swedish. I cant play games in swedish, it looks/sounds so lame.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
sweet, i was just thinking of learning a new language this year. thanks!
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Svenska är ett fult språk.

Corrected
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500