Page 1 of 3
A couple of weeks ago me and 7 of my friends went down to the beach for a few days just to get away from our parents and everything. 2 of us played guitar, 1 of us played bass. It was me and my friend, nick, who played guitar. Nick was much better than me and could do some pretty amazing Sh-t with a guitar. He was my best friend and my mentor.

When we got to the beach we just hung around for a while but eventually went for a swim. We were in the water for 25mins when my other friend, daniel, said "hey lets go out to the rocky point up the beach for a bit." So we went and stayed up there for a while. We were about to get out and go back to the house when nick belted out a scream of pain. I turned around and saw blood in the water around where he was swimming. I dived in and pulled him to the edge to the water and tried to find the problem. I checked his face, nothing. I checked his torso, nothing. Then i noticed, his entire index finger was missing and his other fingers are pretty badly messed up. We called an ambulance and they took him to hospital. It turns out he got bitten by and eel.

Today he told me that the tendon on hid middle finger had been broken in 2 places and there was no way they could fix his index finger.

He can never play guitar again.
Yeah, I know a guy that got a cut along his middle finger, and the nerve never healed.

Other suggestion would be to learn with the other hand, would be like starting guitar again though.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by jacksonP
A couple of weeks ago me and 7 of my friends went down to the beach for a few days just to get away from our parents and everything. 2 of us played guitar, 1 of us played bass. It was me and my friend, nick, who played guitar. Nick was much better than me and could do some pretty amazing Sh-t with a guitar. He was my best friend and my mentor.

When we got to the beach we just hung around for a while but eventually went for a swim. We were in the water for 25mins when my other friend, daniel, said "hey lets go out to the rocky point up the beach for a bit." So we went and stayed up there for a while. We were about to get out and go back to the house when nick belted out a scream of pain. I turned around and saw blood in the water around where he was swimming. I dived in and pulled him to the edge to the water and tried to find the problem. I checked his face, nothing. I checked his torso, nothing. Then i noticed, his entire index finger was missing and his other fingers are pretty badly messed up. We called an ambulance and they took him to hospital. It turns out he got bitten by and eel.

Today he told me that the tendon on hid middle finger had been broken in 2 places and there was no way they could fix his index finger.

He can never play guitar again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33LJ36nAozM

Tell him to do this instead.

But seriously, that sucks, broseph.
Strats & Seagulls
Maybe he can get his finger replaced by a robot finger like on star wars
hope everything goes well
Last edited by ieatursoul at Feb 21, 2009,
I have to admit that story is pretty depressing but like the other guy said there is always drums.
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
well if his middle finger heals he could always pull a tony iommi. he can only use his little finger and his index.

but that completely sucks balls anyway.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

From which hand did he lose the finger?

If it was his picking hand he could possibly learn to pick with his middle finger and thumb, if it was his other then he could still just play with just 3 fingers. It obviusly sucks what happened but he's probably not completely finished, It will just take a lot of effort to get back into it.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
so you saw blood in the water, and just jumped in?! you didnt even make sure it was safe?! cool.
He could play like Django.

But seriously, sorry to hear it.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
django reinhardt?

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFUUUUU!!!!

and teach him to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8nMKACy5I
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Feb 21, 2009,
He could be like Tommy Iommi?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Someone should post this in the "You cry you lose" thread.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
that's really sad man. i feel for him, he can't do what he's passionate about. being completely serious, either tell him left hand guitar or drums. at least he'll still have music, even if he has to start all over.
Wait, so what actually caused this to happen to his hand?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
nooooooooooooooooo

tell him to get like a fingercap or something
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by Les Paul57
that's really sad man. i feel for him, he can't do what he's passionate about. being completely serious, either tell him left hand guitar or drums. at least he'll still have music, even if he has to start all over.

or switch instrument to some other like a wind instrument.. you could play trumpet without an index finger on your left hand.

EDIT: Thats sad man

"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

how exactly did he lose his finger?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Tony Iommi? Seriously though, that sucks. One badass eel though, do you live in Australia by any chance?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Or rather your friend learned how robust the mandibles of an eel are.

That's a horrible story, I honestly don't know what I would do if I were in that situation. I agree that he should try to play left handed, difficult as it may be to coordinate his left hand to fret.
Quote by ieatursoul
Maybe he can get his finger replaced by a robot finger like on star wars
hope everything goes well

We have the technology.

oh and Django Reinhardt ringing any bells?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
ya i think Tommy has fingercaps on his frethand, a few of the finger tips got cut off long ago.

Tony.

That sounds terrible, but there are many instances of injured guitar players being able to still play. Django Reinhardt's situation seems to be the most similar to your friends. He only played with two fingers. Your friend could also try playing keyboard. One handed stuff with simple accompaniment. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, I'm just saying it's not all lost, even if things really suck.
Quote by Myung-trucci
More notes per second=more emotion per second.
Try to talk with him, don't let that accident puts him away from music.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Chris Poland had a pretty bad injury to his fretting hand when he was in high school, and his index finger is permanently stuck in a "garden hoe" position, but look at what he can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgrACYkXFqY

There's a bit of his work.

My condolences to your friend though What I'm trying to say though, is that if he really loves playing, I'm sure he'll be able to find a way to play!
That really, really sucks

Hopefully he can adapt to play again, or he could take up another instrument like keyboards.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
he will play again.

don't worry

there's lots of guitarists with less than a full hand of fingers that go on to do great stuff.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by munkymanmatt
well if his middle finger heals he could always pull a tony iommi. he can only use his little finger and his index.

but that completely sucks balls anyway.

Umm...Tony can play with all his fingers.
He only lost the tips.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
brutal i feel really sorry for him. Ive always been super sketched about them sea creatures like sting rays and **** *shivers*
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
hmm, if he cares enough he can try any of the answers already posted, or if he truly honestly cares enough, he could learn lefty. it would be a B!TCH but it seems possible off the top of my head
...why?
Page 1 of 3