I'm getting ready to build my first pedalboard. The chassis will be a low-budget affair made from cheap wooden storage shelving from IKEA.

For the cabling, however, I don't want to go cheap.

What are my options? I don't mind making cables myself, but do I need special tools for this? Or are there kits have that different lengths of cabling?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
there are kits form George-L that lets you make your own cable, and i think they are solderless. which means that you can just buy them and clip them together. however, thats not what i would suggest if you dont mind making your own cables.

you can buy stuff like the plugs and some cable and then use some higher quality components to make your own stuff. you can get right angle plugs or whatever as well. thats what im planning on doing when i get around to making my own board.
i have a bunch of patch cables that were no more than $2 a peice on ebay and i bought some 25' custom instrument cables for $35 and they charged $33 for the 1' patch cable. they sent me the patch cable free to try to sell it to me but i didn't buy it. i can't tell any difference between the $33 one and my cheapy other ones. you can cheap out on cables unless you are a pro playing for 20,000 people.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Who sells low-profile right-angle connectors? I'd like to get my pedals close to each other, but a lot of the kits I've seen have mondo-sized plugs.

Also, I know how to solder, and I'm assuming that I'll get a better cable (or maybe just a more rugged one) if I solder the connectors on rather than just crimping them on, right?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Who sells low-profile right-angle connectors? I'd like to get my pedals close to each other, but a lot of the kits I've seen have mondo-sized plugs.

i got two right angle connector cables today at my local shop and they were only $3. So i would check your local shop or musiciansfriend.com
Soldering is a must. I use george l cable and I soldered switchcraft jacks on. I'm not sure where to find them, but the flat right angle plugs they use for speaker cables would work great fora pedal board me thinks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not